Recently I unplugged my amplifier; I looked at the outlet I unplugged it from and was shocked to see the ground still in the outlet, not attached to the plug for my amp! The amp still plays, but is it safe to use without the ground when plugged into a standard wall outlet (i.e. not a surge protector)? Is it safe to pull the ground out with my bare hands? And is there a safe, easy way to reattach the ground myself, or should I take it to a guitar store to get it fixed?
Quote by metallicamadmik
Recently I unplugged my amplifier; I looked at the outlet I unplugged it from and was shocked to see the ground still in the outlet, not attached to the plug for my amp! The amp still plays, but is it safe to use without the ground when plugged into a standard wall outlet (i.e. not a surge protector)? Is it safe to pull the ground out with my bare hands? And is there a safe, easy way to reattach the ground myself, or should I take it to a guitar store to get it fixed?

Yeah, you might want to get that fixed, cause if the amp ever shorts out for some reason, it could either set the amp on fire, fry the thing, set the outlet of fire, or fry the outlet, depending on how bad the short is.

Your gona need a new cable. Aren't the cables for most amps just the 3 prong connector type that most amps and computers use?

Edit: don't be sticking your hands into an electrical socket, you first need to filp the breaker to your house and make sure there is no power to the room your in, the you can go about pulling the thing out, even though it is the ground plug, you never want to chance it.
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Sep 21, 2010,
Quote by metallicamadmik

Though in theory it's safe to touch the ground - if it's been pulled out a plug there is something wrong, so theory goes out the window. Kill the ringmain that that socket is on (check it with a lamp or something to make sure it's really off before removing/touching anything) You'll need to re-wire the ground into the plug, which is simple, but if you use it at venues it's going to need to get PAT/PAC tested anyway so you may as well take it to a tech...

What you really need to find out is why you're earth fell out the plug in the first place...

EDIT: earth wires shouldn't carry any current if stuff works right, if it doesn't they are there to stop the thing catching fire and to blow fuses to stop equipment on that socket and other connected ones being damaged

EDIT2: it's also interesting to note that a lot of appliance in Europe and US run without grounds at all. In the UK standard plugs require a ground to "open up" the live and neutral pins of the socket. (I've been told the reason is because earth wires are used to burn out fuses, in the US and EU RCD trips are common/legally required, which trip even without an earth) citation needed
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Sep 21, 2010,
Just get a new plug. Takes a minute to rewire one, sorted.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.