I have no idea when I got it but it must be like 7+ years old , I got a 20th anniversary Squier Strat (Fender) starter package deal that also came with a little amp (Champ 15 if it helps.) I've only been playing for a bit over a month now (Took it out of it's hiding place) I really have no concept of good/bad guitars yet but I know that it's extremely low end.

I'm wondering when I'll outgrow it. My birthday and Christmas are coming up and the strings should snap at any moment, I'm surprised that they haven't yet as I haven't replaced them. Would it be silly to replace them before then or not?

I'm a bit sleepy so I'm sorry that my thoughts are all over the place. Thanks for the answers.
Dude, I played an encore strat replica through a 10w amp for the first 3 years of my life as a guitarist. Then I got a yamaha pacifica and a marshall mg15 with a zoom fx pedal to boost my gain, which I used for the next 6 years. And now I have a Dean Z with the same crappy amp and pedal.
It's up to you when you need better equipment, but don't ever feel you have to.
i played my starter pack guitar for about 5 months and then i got a new one and a new amp, but only get a new guitar and amp if you are gonna keep playing and if your making progress with your playing.
Hope i helped
Last edited by Booth2010 at Sep 21, 2010,
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Dude, I played an encore strat replica through a 10w amp for the first 3 years of my life as a guitarist. Then I got a yamaha pacifica and a marshall mg15 with a zoom fx pedal to boost my gain, which I used for the next 6 years. And now I have a Dean Z with the same crappy amp and pedal.
It's up to you when you need better equipment, but don't ever feel you have to.

I just figured at some point that the guitar/amp won't be able to keep up with what I want it to do. I've heard people say that in many different forms...I don't feel like I have to right now, I love it. I'm just curious when people think you can kinda outgrow that setup.
Squier 20th's aren't bad, and champs aren't dire either. Strings won't break if you've only been playing them a month having left them for 7+ years old. In fact strings often don't break if you play gently, you only have to replace them because they go 'dull' and stop sounding so nice.

I upgraded my amp when i got a job, it happened to coincide with me starting gigging and i noticed my 15w starter amp couldn't handle the volume required to be heard over a drummer and it sounded rubbish.

Seriously, if you have £5000 spare just kicking around, there's no reason why you "shouldn't" get new gear just cos you're a beginner, but if you have no money and you've got no good reason to get new gear don't bother. It's not worth shelling out cash for "intermediate" range gear that'll you'll need to replace another year down the line imo
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I got it because my sister was getting a bass back then (I was like 13?) so of course I wanted a guitar too. It doesn't feel like it really fits me because I was so half hearted about it back then as opposed to now. It works and I like it but I'd love to get a more personalized one if that makes sense x.x I guess I'll just keep practicing and it'll make whenever I decide to upgrade it even more special, eh?