i was wondering if, within the realm of metal, there are certain things a guitarist is expected to know. what does a metal guitar player need to know in order to be a good jammer and be able to click with other musicians the first time they meet? are there certain "classics" they ought to know, whether they're entire songs, or riffs, or anything?

i understand that jazz players have a certain set of motifs, riffs, and whatnot that they always use as a starting point to jamming (or at least i think so). what about for metal?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Not really. But if you don't have a clue about Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest or Metallica, most of the time, you will look like a fool.
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
What kind of metal are we talking?

Maiden, Sabbath, Preist, etc, is one thing...however,

Origin, Necrophagist, Psycroptic, Braindrill etc is an entirely different matter...
Same as any other genre? Know scales and how to apply them to the chord structure etc.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
well i guess the best way to answer would be: when you jam with someone for the first time (and it's kinda unplanned), what do you play? how do you decide on what to play?

*i'd also be curious as to what sort of jams an Origin, Necrophagist, etc. fan would crank out, hahah. personally though, i like melodic death/black stuff.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Sep 22, 2010,
how big of a douche you are about metallica
Quote by BlitzkriegAir
1. Get drunk
2. play pentatonic scales fast
3. throw in some divebombs and pinch harmonics
4. Get killed onstage
5. become legendary guitarist instantaneously

Quote by Holy Katana

How dare you attack the greatness of the augmented sixth?
I doubt there is any standard repertoire, but obviously it would help if you knew some Metallica/Sabbath/Maiden/ etc. as most metal guitarists learn at least one song from one of those bands. e.g. just about everyone has played master of puppets
I'd say just learn everything you can! Never bad to be brilliant at everything.
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i was wondering if, within the realm of metal, there are certain things a guitarist is expected to know. what does a metal guitar player need to know in order to be a good jammer and be able to click with other musicians the first time they meet? are there certain "classics" they ought to know, whether they're entire songs, or riffs, or anything?

i understand that jazz players have a certain set of motifs, riffs, and whatnot that they always use as a starting point to jamming (or at least i think so). what about for metal?

I would start by learning the metal songs that inspire you.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 25, 2010,
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE

I know alot of the jamming I do with my bands and friends is improvised, and we'll usually make a motif on the spot and jam it out. as long as everyones in the same key, tempo and time signature, you can make some pretty cool improv. But other than that, for songs, it really depends on what kind of metal your jam-mates are into, although I find Master of Puppets is pretty much in everyones arsenal.

Basically, know your pentatonic scale, diatonic scales, and know something about writing metal lines over whatever the other guys are playing. I know I base my opinion of whether I would play with a person in a band with how well they can play along with me when we're jamming.
Quote by \o/
I'd say just learn everything you can! Never bad to be brilliant at everything.

you hit the nail on the head, having a broad knowledge of music in general will help you jam with any guitarist successfully.
keep writing. keep dreaming.

keep the notes coming...

ibanez ftw