I was browsing the epiphone website and saw an advert for this competition:
http://www.epiphone.com/afd/
I had to read it twice, and watch the video before I realised that, yes, epiphone are actually promoting the smashing and destruction of guitars. While it may be for a guitar that looks pretty awesome, guitars are musical instruments that are crafted to make music and should be respected, not smashed up to win a prize. Even if you think your guitar is absolutely awful, there would still be someone somewhere who would be grateful to have it. So why smash something that someone has built with care to be played and enjoyed? The acoustic he drops from the crane actually looks alright - I would have been happy to have it!
I can sort of see the appeal of destroying an electric ("ROCK AND ROLL!!!", Jimi Hendrix etc) but the video also shows acoustics being smashed. Acoustic guitars are not generally associated with the guitar-smashing genres of hard rock music so why destroy them?
I'm keen to hear what anyone else has to say on this topic - I can't be the only person on UG that has this opinion.

P.S. I just had to LOL at them smashing up strats (and no les pauls!)...
They paid for it, they have the right to do whatever the hell they want.
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
People smashing guitars is in their profit. Besides, what's with all the "respect" the instrument bullcrap? At the end of the day it's just a piece of wood and although my guitar is one of my favourite items, it is still a lifeless object.
Anyone who has the money to smash a guitar doesn't need this contest to get a good Les Paul.

And just for the record, in no way do I support smashing guitars.
Vagelier, I disagree in a way. My guitar to me is one of my most precious possessions. If my guitar got destroyed, I can't begin to explain how distraught I'd be. It's sentimental to me and I love it to death.

My other two guitars, I don't care for as much. But I'd still be really upset if I lost either one. Guitars to me are too beautiful to be destroyed (unless they're a Reverse V and most things by BC Rich, they deserved to be destroyed).
Quote by PTJohe
Anyone who has the money to smash a guitar doesn't need this contest to get a good Les Paul.

And just for the record, in no way do I support smashing guitars.

How can you "not support" smashing guitars.
You either have smashed one or more of your guitars, or you didn't. How is this even debatable? I have not smashed a guitar in my life, because I don't have the money to do so, but if there's some kiddo in canada smashing guitars like its christmas eve why should I care?

Quote by boreamor
Vagelier, I disagree in a way. My guitar to me is one of my most precious possessions. If my guitar got destroyed, I can't begin to explain how distraught I'd be. It's sentimental to me and I love it to death.

My other two guitars, I don't care for as much. But I'd still be really upset if I lost either one. Guitars to me are too beautiful to be destroyed (unless they're a Reverse V and most things by BC Rich, they deserved to be destroyed).

You're stating personal reasons. I can understand how someone would not like to smash their guitar because they like it a lot or it was expensive. Reason doesn't eally matter. But if Epiphone is trying to convince their customers to go smash their guitars, I really couldn't care less in the sense that I do not see it as "disrespectful" towards the instrument.
Last edited by vagelier at Sep 21, 2010,
i love the way they only smash strats in the video haha
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by vagelier
People smashing guitars is in their profit. Besides, what's with all the "respect" the instrument bullcrap? At the end of the day it's just a piece of wood and although my guitar is one of my favourite items, it is still a lifeless object.

You can attach meaning to a lifeless object. You can ask why all you'd like, but the fact of the matter is that you can, and many people choose to do so.

In other words, no one cares how void you are of a meaning.
Their guitar, their choice. From the title I though it was something seriously disgusting like murder.

I have a super old guitar that's worthless I could get rid off.

It's light/weak too, it won't take 10 hits to the ground like that fender did.

Also they're giving away the guitar with all the extra crap with it in a separate contest that doesn't involve smashing a guitar:
http://www.epiphone.com/EpiContest102.aspx?ContestID=102
Last edited by stratkat at Sep 21, 2010,
Quote by stratkat
I have a super old guitar that's worthless I could get rid off.

It's light/weak too, it won't take 10 hits to the ground like that fender did.

was thinkin the same thing. I got an old knock off strat i could demolish, it isn't good for much else anyway.
that makes me sick!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
I have very little money and two guitars that need ALOT of work. To see someone wasting what I want AND need so badly makes me angry and bitter. I can't STAND when I see someone smash a guitar because I agree with TS that SOMEone SOMEwhere would have been happy to have it. Any kind of waste like that irks me really... like when a REALLy hot girl gets killed in a movie... it's like " ahhh man what a waste"
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Totally entering. seriously i am. ill post the video on the pit too
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
Off topic, but what's the official looking font thats used by epiphone? (its used at the start of the video and is used for "performance is our passion")
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by Gerard_xD
Their guitar, their choice. From the title I though it was something seriously disgusting like murder.

It is murder. Epiphone doing this is just like an orphanage doing a "smash your baby" contest.
Quote by SFosterS
I have very little money and two guitars that need ALOT of work. To see someone wasting what I want AND need so badly makes me angry and bitter. I can't STAND when I see someone smash a guitar because I agree with TS that SOMEone SOMEwhere would have been happy to have it. Any kind of waste like that irks me really... like when a REALLy hot girl gets killed in a movie... it's like " ahhh man what a waste"

This, near enough.
Quote by TomusAM
It is murder. Epiphone doing this is just like an orphanage doing a "smash your baby" contest.

No. Babies are humans. Guitars are wood.
I don't think I have the heart to destroy either one of my guitars, especially the acoustic. What the fuck kind of contest is this...
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by TomusAM
You can't be serious. I really hope you're not serious.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Quote by vagelier
No. Babies are humans. Guitars are wood.

Yours might be wood, mine is metal
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Quote by Gerard_xD

This would have made for a far more interesting contest. Hell, I'd enter that for a Squire.

You can probably find a $30-40 guitar on eBay or Craigslist to use. If I had the resources I'd enter this but there's probably a thousand people with access to far more interesting stuff than me. I can just see some soldiers putting a grenade inside an acoustic, or someone with access to construction equipment crushing it, or freezing it in liquid nitrogen.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at Sep 21, 2010,
Quote by boreamor
That'd sound like shit.

Resonators sound pretty cool
Ted: [Whispering to Bill] Your stepmom is cute.
Bill: Shut up, Ted.
Ted: Remember when she was a senior and we were freshmen?
Bill: Shut up, Ted!
Eh, I wouldn't smash any of my guitars. If I really wanted to win the AFD guitar, I'd buy some piece of crap on ebay and produce an elaborate destuction scheme (fireworks, hammers, high drop, running over w/car).

Smashing guitars in an attempt to look "cool" just makes you look like a douche, to me at least.