Page 1 of 2
http://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/food-drink/exercise-wont-make-article-huib.html
apparently it has a negligible effect on how we look.
thoughts?

p.s. someone else can do a tl;dr for the lazy people.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
EDIT: this is old news though. although article is a bit bias, in an attempt to be provocative.
DOUBLEDIT: i bet most UG'ers don't exercise much for that matter, with the exclusion of fapping
Last edited by vagelier at Sep 21, 2010,
I don't exercise anyway.
¡sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ suɐılɐɹʇsnɐ ʎluo

E-married to danny the fish

Quote by Kensai
That's a purdy mouth you got there, zelestros. Why don't we make good use of that in other ways...
eh, if I bother to run 40km per week I lose weight

if I go drinking 4 nights per week I gain weight (curse you tasty refreshing beer!)

such is student life
When you exercise for many hours a day and eat very little, you are going to be a skinny sunnvabitch. A couple of months ago, I went backpacking for a week. Just a week of eating very little, hiking 10-12 miles a day with 60 pound packs, and not drinking alcohol made me go from a size 33 to a size 31, and any hint of bellyflab I had vanished.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I'm pretty sure my 70+ miles a week of running is why I'm still skinny even though I consume over 5000 calories a day,
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Well duh, you need to eat less not just exercise more.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
They're clearly going for sensationalism. What the article actually says is that exercise + diet change is what you need, which everyone over the age of 10 should know already. If you eat like a fatass, guess what? You'll probably be a fatass. [Ed. note: Unless you exercise a shitload.]
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Sep 21, 2010,
Article sucks, it's for calorie counters, and that's piss annoying.

"It takes 45 minutes of swimming to burn off a slice of pizza"

bull shit, it doesn't take into account what you're turning into muscle, or your metabolism.
Quote by Kensai
Well duh, you need to eat less not just exercise more.

Not necessarily eat less. For a lot of people it's eat better.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by stratkat
Article sucks, it's for calorie counters, and that's piss annoying.

"It takes 45 minutes of swimming to burn off a slice of pizza"

bull shit, it doesn't take into account what you're turning into muscle, or your metabolism.

This. approximately 2500 calories are burnt up in one day doing nothing. when you ate all of your calories and still you didnt do any exercise it might take 45 minutes to burn off a pizza slice but if you do that youre probably a fat fat fatty fatty anyways.
tl;dr: Weight loss = diet + exercise. Not just diet or exercise.

This is already common knowledge.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
If you want to lose weight you have to take in less calories than you burn, pure and simple. The easiest way for people to do that (in today's society where calorific intake is often way beyond what it should be) is to eat less.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
*awaits for someone to rant about fat people and expecting either Reva or some other person to release rage on that user*
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Good diet + Exercise = Good body.

Each thing alone isn't really an amazing thing (though having a good diet and no exercise is probably a bit better than a bad diet and exercise), so doing both is the tip...nothing amazing.

Like, I'm not fat, but I'm not toned. I do exercise and have an alright diet, but both are only average, which results in an average, slightly doughey physique.

Pretty obvious stuff
i've cut down eating and gone gym for 3 months and i've lost weight and my blood pressure has gone down
Gear n Shizz:

Washburn X50 Pro
Epiphone Korina Explorer
Line 6 Flextone III 75w
I know that in America, most of us overeat. Daily. I think it's largely attributed to the massive increase in portions over the years, and to junk food. I also think that your body thanks you when you have the option to eat to past fullness, but choose not to.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Well exercise keeps me skinny. I call BS on the article.

i think i agree with you on this.
i haven't been exercising as much lately and i've gained weight and my body shape looks... well better, but that's because i was skinny as a rake.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th

so much for busting my ass. oh well, I mainly work out because it feels good anyway, and most of my fat is in the most attractive places possible anyway haha.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Skinny =/= healthy.
You're still going to feel better, have more energy and sleep better with regular exercise. Poor article.
I'd rather be fat anyway.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Anyone who has a brain and who is actually interested in fitness knew this aaaaagggges ago.

Only ignorant yuppies actually believe that running on a treadmill for 20 hours a day, then eating McDonald's for lunch outside the office makes you lose weight.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

If you use more calories than you take up, you will lose weight. An example:

1kg of adipose tissue (fat tissue) consists of roughly of 7000 kcal. So, considering an unchanged nutritional uptake, you can for example burn 500 kcal everyday (btw it doesn't take 2 hours on the bike to do this, like the dumbass article says... takes maybe 30-60 min depending on the intensity of the workout).

500kcal x 7 = 3500 kcal

Taking into consideration that only 20-25% of the calories burnt are from the adipose tissue:

20-25% of 3500 kcal = 700 to 875 kcal

That equals at least 100 grams of pure adipose tissue every week. And this without a change in diet! Also, it doesn't include the general increase in metabolic activity, by becoming a more active person. So AT LEAST 100g of adipose tissue loss every week (but taking into other factors, it's probably closer to double that!).

Bam! I just rendered that article completely incorrect.
Diet is the main factor in determining weight IMO.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by stratkat
My secret is I eat when I'm hungry, then stop when I don't feel hungry anymore.

THIS, OH A THOUSAND TIMES THIS.
Exactly what I was going to say. And of course you're not going to lose wieght through excercise, you'll put some on through muscle gain. Everybody knows that muscle weighs more than fat...
I've been going to the gym for the past 2-3 months. I've actually gained about half a stone, but I've lost a visible amount of fat.
I'd rather be physically fit than super slim.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Kind of a stupid article in my opinion.. I work out every day but I eat plenty and I have 0 fat on me..
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by Necrolust
Kind of a stupid article in my opinion.. I work out every day but I eat plenty and I have 0 fat on me..

Presenting anecdotal evidence is just as stupid as the article.
Article is stupid, it's a fact that exercise will burn off excess calories. I'm getting tired of this BS going on about being fat, honestly if you're fat you can not be fat by not eating so much and exercising abit.

I remember a while ago some morons were trying to say fatness was a disease you could catch.

edit: and for any future morons who try to tell me being fat is 'genetic' or something then think about this, if you ate NOTHING then you would not stay the same weight, you'd lose weight. It's physically impossible to not lose weight if you ate nothing, this is why people in concentration camps were dangerously thin, because that had hardly anything to eat.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Sep 21, 2010,
I exercise regularly, though most of it (jogging, swimming, lifting) is to build muscle and in general lead a healthier lifestyle. I'm perfectly normal, weight-wise.

Oh, and exercising makes you feel good.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
I once knew a fat person
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Page 1 of 2