I think I've finally decided on what amp I want - an Egnater Tweaker, or perhaps a Rebel 20 - to replace the two Marshall MGs that are lying around the house and are taking some of the joy of playing the guitar out of me.

At the same time, I've been wanting to get some recording equipment for a LONG time - I've been working non-stop these past two and a half weeks, and after a weekend in Berlin with some friends, by the end of this month I should have at least £590 (around $920).

I'm not sure whether I should get a new amp (the Tweaker half-stack goes for about £550, the Rebel 20 half-stack about £600) or whether I should settle for some recording stuff, so I can start learning how to use it and save up again for the amp. I'm starting Uni again though and I won't be working nearly as much as I have been recently, which means it'll take longer to save up again.

This is why it's important for me to choose "correctly". I want to enjoy playing as much as possible and have a portable and high-quality amp for gigging and home use, yet maybe getting the recording stuff first just makes more sense. But I don't play my electrics as much anymore because I got tired of fiddling around with my current amps and just not getting any really quality sounds out of them. I've been playing the elecric for 5 years now and a solid-state budget MG just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

As for what recording stuff, I've been thinking: Steinberg C12 audio interface with Cubase Studio 5, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II headphones, and a Shure SM57 to get started with. I've been looking around and I could sort everything for just over £500.

The other thing: I was thinking of forgetting everything else and just saving up for a PRS 25th Swamp Ash Special. Seems silly. Still want it though
- Ibanez SA220
- LTD EC-1000
- Marshall MG100DFX
- Blackstar HT-Dual Distortion Pedal
- Marshall Jackhammer Distortion/Overdrive Pedal
- EHX Cathedral Reverb Pedal
- Boss PW-10 Wah
- Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
- Boss TU-3 Tuner
amp. unless recording is a priority.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Def get an amp youll be way happier with a nice amp, id look at as many amps as possible before deciding, and try to play as many as possible too.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Yeh I'd get a new amp first.

What exactly do you intend to do when you come to recording if you are to buy the recording gear first? Mic up the MG?
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Fr
Peavey 6505+ 112
+1 for the amp.
You might want to consider an amp with a line out so you don't have to dump money into a mic (even though they are nice to have around).
Also, you could do better than that interface for half the price - unless you absolutely require that bundle.
I'm for the amp.
Learning to play well through a tube amp is a big deal, something you've not experienced with the MGs.
plus you might make a new friend who has some recording gear/know-how, and you can use his shit for free?
besides, no point in recording an MG
Amp first. No point recording the MGs if you don't like the sound. Also, for the recording, if you're on a budget you can get Reaper for £30 instead of Cubase. For most people's needs it does absolutely everything at 1/10th of the price.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Amp first. You can pick up the stuff you need to record piece by piece. Reaper, as has been suggested, is a very workable DAW.
Quote by mikey_360
Yeh I'd get a new amp first.

What exactly do you intend to do when you come to recording if you are to buy the recording gear first? Mic up the MG?

Thanks for the advice guys, you've been very helpful thus far. What I would do if I bought the recording stuff first is record using the included amp simulation and effects software, which is meant to be great, and make stuff up using Midi and the included virtual instruments, just practice and practice. If I had to mic up the MG to see how the sounds differed, I would. Don't get me wrong, I don't HATE the amps, I just find them very boring and quite occasionally tedious now.

I've taken you're advice on board along with my gut feeling now though and I think I'll try for a new amp first.

Quote by 667
+1 for the amp.
You might want to consider an amp with a line out so you don't have to dump money into a mic (even though they are nice to have around).
Also, you could do better than that interface for half the price - unless you absolutely require that bundle.

What interfaces would you recommend instead my friend?
- Ibanez SA220
- LTD EC-1000
- Marshall MG100DFX
- Boss PW-10 Wah
- Boss TU-3 Tuner
Quote by Saywah?
What interfaces would you recommend instead my friend?

depends on the scope of needs. to tell truth, i use my mac's sound card for alot of casual stuff, people are against it a bit but i find the quality better than the MR-8 i was using before (line-in anyways).

i also recommend usb mics for small stuff that doesn't need scalability. usb mics are usually condensor mics and sound great for acoustics and vocals, can do a moderately loud amp too.

i hate recommending bit money purchases to people beginning recording cuz often it proves too frustrating and people quit and have this stuff they have to sell for less than they bought it for.

i use my guitar into a 1/4" to 1/8" mono to stereo adapter, 1/4" goes to guitar, the 1/8" goes to the computer's input and i play garageband. that is a great place to start on the cheap. get a usb mic after that if you wanna test the water more. if you wanna dive more headfirst then get a 2 channel usb or firewire device like these

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=usb+interface

the ones near the top look pretty good, these small interfaces are really getting quite better quickly.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
listen to gumbilicious, he knows what he's talking about.
Whaaaat!!!!!!
Amp. It's cool to have great recording gear, but why would you want to record a mediocre sounding amp? I'd say get an amp now, and from there save up again for recording gear. When you have a good quality amp you learn to appreciate the whole hobby (or way of life) that much more.

At least that's how it is for me
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by gumbilicious
depends on the scope of needs. to tell truth, i use my mac's sound card for alot of casual stuff, people are against it a bit but i find the quality better than the MR-8 i was using before (line-in anyways).

i also recommend usb mics for small stuff that doesn't need scalability. usb mics are usually condensor mics and sound great for acoustics and vocals, can do a moderately loud amp too.

i hate recommending bit money purchases to people beginning recording cuz often it proves too frustrating and people quit and have this stuff they have to sell for less than they bought it for.

i use my guitar into a 1/4" to 1/8" mono to stereo adapter, 1/4" goes to guitar, the 1/8" goes to the computer's input and i play garageband. that is a great place to start on the cheap. get a usb mic after that if you wanna test the water more. if you wanna dive more headfirst then get a 2 channel usb or firewire device like these

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=usb+interface

the ones near the top look pretty good, these small interfaces are really getting quite better quickly.

Well, a USB or Firewire interface is what I've been looking at, I don't think my soundcard is good enough and I'd prefer having a quality piece of external hardware that I could take anywhere with me and adjust on the fly. I've been reading up on recording for a good 6 months now, so the only thing left to do is take the plunge, question is what with. I have a PC, not a Mac btw.

Quote by 667

So why exactly do you recommend these over the one I was thinking of getting? I know they're far cheaper, but this just makes me quite weary of them to be honest.
- Ibanez SA220
- LTD EC-1000
- Marshall MG100DFX
- Boss PW-10 Wah
- Boss TU-3 Tuner
That Steinberg interface is overpriced for what it is. If you have a free PCI slot on your PC, I'd go with a M-Audio Audiophile 2496, a small mixer and Cubase Essential 5. The USB interfaces are very convenient, but I think they are limited to 48 Khz, 24 bit recording. That said I do have a USB interface in addition to the 2496 that I use quite often, for the most part there's not much reason to record at 96 Khz, but it's nice to have the option to.
Last edited by maggotspawn at Sep 22, 2010,
Quote by gumbilicious
I use my guitar into a 1/4" to 1/8" mono to stereo adapter, 1/4" goes to guitar, the 1/8" goes to the computer's input and I play Garageband. That is a great place to start on the cheap.

This doesn't work on my MacBook Pro, what are your settings.
Guitars:
Fame Forum 3
Aria STG-004
Ashton Acoustic

Amps:
Bugera V22
Drive CD-10

Effects:
Boss ME-50

Quote by Kanthras
2/10

No fire extinguisher reference, unoriginal, no Militia flamebait, disappointing.

Bugera Users Militia
Last.fm