Hey guys, I am currently aware that you need a TV licence even if you are watching online. However, does anyone know if it's possible for anyone to detect this?

I'm a student and I really don't wanna shell out for a licence, I barely even watch BBC anyway.
If you have a laptop, you can legally watch live streamed TV and be covered by your home licence if you unplug the laptop.

And as far as I know there is no way of detecting you watching from outside your room apart from a TV licence person seeing you do so through your window.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
You still need a licence even for internet TV like the BBC iPlayer. Not so sure if the same applies for the TV channels on YouTube.
You guys need to buy a license to watch TV? That SUCKS!
All I know to answer your question is from the TV license website:
If you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV you must, by law, be covered by a TV Licence, no matter what device you're using.

Sounds to me like a legal loophole might be to pause the "live" show about a minute, and just watch a minute behind schedule. Then you're not watching it right as it's being broadcast as the law says.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Last edited by rgrockr at Sep 21, 2010,
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You still need a licence even for internet TV like the BBC iPlayer. Not so sure if the same applies for the TV channels on YouTube.

No you don't.

See: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1/
In the box at the bottom it explains which criteria need to be fulfilled to not require a licence.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
I know this man, I just want to know if there's any way of the TV companies knowing. I know they can detect whether you are using TV. I hope sinan is right! Cheers
Quote by rgrockr
You guys need to buy a license to watch TV? That SUCKS!
All I know to answer your question is from the TV license website:

Sounds to me like a legal loophole might be to pause the "live" show about a minute, and just watch a minute behind schedule. Then you're not watching it right as it's being broadcast as the law says.

Provided you have the means to pause said telly. Not everyone has sky, especially students.
Quote by Jimbo2010
I know this man, I just want to know if there's any way of the TV companies knowing. I know they can detect whether you are using TV. I hope sinan is right! Cheers

Well from what I've read about this, the government sells the licenses, not broadcasting networks. So the TV companies wouldn't really care, it's the guvmint you should be worried about; but they probably have bigger things to worry about.
I refuse to pay a TV licence. The BBC isn't even that good. If people who watch it like it that much, and really don't want the commercials, make it a subscription service.
Just watch everything on iplayer, 4od and other catch up sites online. AS long as it's not live streaming, it's fine.
Not breaking TV licensing laws and you probably won't have the time to catch the shows being shown live anyway.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

the van was outside my apartment the toher day, and me and my flatmate were on the balcony drinking. he threw his bottle at the van and it drove off. must have been about 20 feet drop from our balcony to the van. lol expecting a fuzzy visit sooner or later...

the tv liscence listening van that is.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by robhc
I refuse to pay a TV licence. The BBC isn't even that good. If people who watch it like it that much, and really don't want the commercials, make it a subscription service.

Or fund it with donations, like our PBS (which nobody watches except for little kids).