The newest member of my family:

The pictures dont even do this guitar justice, I'm shooting from a camera phone, it just looks amazing in person! (sorry theyre as big as they are)

But onto the review:

Features:

The Xaviere JT40 from GuitarFetish bears a very close resemblance to the Fender Jazzmaster, slight differences being the lack of a rhythm circuit electronics-wise, the body is slightly different too. It's got an alder body, with a maple/rosewood neck, and features 2 P90 vintage-wound pickups, roller bridge and jazzmaster-style trem. Its got one volume, one tone, and a 3 way toggle switch (perhaps may be modded for more functionality in the future).

The guitar came in a hard case, shipped across the border within two weeks of purchase, and I have to say I'm happy with that! No damage, pristine condition!.

Sound:
No comment here JUST yet, my amp is at my friends house so I havent had a chance to hear it plugged in . It does sound pretty good unplugged though

Action, Fit, Finish:

One of the gripes a lot of people seem to be having is that the action is too high, but after lowing the bridge down (as far as it would go), its fine for me, 'bout where I'd have it on any guitar anyways!

But, the finish is fantastic, no scratches, dings, on the body - its definitely thick though. The neck however may be a BIT much, it definitely feels thick but its very playable and comfortable. I'm no shredder so it not being a thin Jackson-esque neck isn't really a requirement for me, nor does it bother me that its not the fastest neck I've ever played, its fast enough for me and compares to any Epiphone I've played really. Thats all about preference when it comes down to it, other reviews have had issues with it, but personally I have none!

When I get around to changing the strings and putting some Ernie Ball's on it, I may give the fretboard a quick clean and oil it up, but the fretwork is fine, no dull frets, no polishing needed.

All hardware lines up/is functional, cant wait to put it through my amp!

Reliability, Durability:
Would definitely and will definitely be gigging this guitar with my band. The finish looks like it can take a beating (and the way things are, it probably will :/). But I would probably feel comfortable gigging this with no backup, between the band and I we have about 9 guitars available for me and the other guitarist, so there will always be a spare!

The guitar also stays in tune very well, Ive just been jamming unplugged for a while and even mild to heavy use of the whammy bar does little to affect its ability to stay in tune!

Impression:

If this guitar is anything like a Jazzmaster tonally (I'll update on that when I have access to my amp!) it should fit everything I plan to play with it. Style of music is mostly alternative, rock, pop, that kind of thing, so it should suit fairly well. Initial impression tells me this is quite a bit better than the Squier Stratocaster I own, and I would consider it a much better bargain at this point. You get a whole lot more guitar for the same price you'd pay for the Squier - better finish, better playability, and I'm going to guess better sound. I paid $311 dollars Canadian - thats guitar, case, and shipping all included.

I give this guitar an 8/10 for its value, definitely worth looking at if you're a beginner guitarist looking to upgrade from a cheapo starter guitar (I've been playing about 6 years now and I've gone through probably 10 guitars in that time, and played countless others). I'd take this over most Epiphone guitars I've played retailing for 2 or 3 times what this does, and I will probably order from GuitarFetish again, I'm very happy I did.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Congrats! I doubt with P90s you'll get an accurate Jazzmaster sound but it'll still probably sound great!
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I'm not overly worried about whether it replicates the Jazzmaster EXACTLY, I think it'll sound decent either way, GFS pickups seem to get good reviews most places.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by ma_tt11
I'm not overly worried about whether it replicates the Jazzmaster EXACTLY, I think it'll sound decent either way, GFS pickups seem to get good reviews most places.

I'll vouch for that. Got one of their Neovins in my Esquire and it's badass.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Niice, HNGD! In the second pic the trem looks like it's set up weirdly with too much tension, but in the third it looks normal.. The roller bridge looks funny, but it's probably a good idea.

There is generally not enough love for Jazzmasters and Jaguars, and that looks a pretty nice one, especially for the price!
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
Quote by monkey_dancer
Niice, HNGD! In the second pic the trem looks like it's set up weirdly with too much tension, but in the third it looks normal.. The roller bridge looks funny, but it's probably a good idea.

There is generally not enough love for Jazzmasters and Jaguars, and that looks a pretty nice one, especially for the price!

That may just be the quality of the camera :/, the trem is actually set up very nice, thus the third pic is more accurate!

And yeah I know, I really got into them when I found out a lot of my favourite guitarists use them, I hope to get a vintage Jazzmaster one day... this will do me just fine until then
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
^Yeah, I'm aiming on a bit of a collection too! Must have just been the picture with the trem then, glad to hear you like it.
Quote by XxLloydxX
very nice. if i lived in the US i'd be struggling to resist temptation for those cheapies with a good rep like xaviere, agile and the like...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
very nice. if i lived in the US i'd be struggling to resist temptation for those cheapies with a good rep like xaviere, agile and the like...

Well they do ship internationally I think, at least to their North... but I suppose it would be quite a bit more pricey to go across the pond right? :/
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Yeah, postage and custom are so expensive, or i'd have loads!
Quote by XxLloydxX
Shipping itself was about 45 to Canada, customs was another 40 on top of that, that I had forgotten about until I picked it up today D:. But really, it was worth it, the guitar is so much bang for my buck!
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
I was thinking about getting their double cu away style guitar or their semi-hollow tele.

lucky bastard, HNGD
Thanks for the review. It’s nice to get more recent descriptions than the old reviews on the main site.
^ +1

Quote by ma_tt11
Well they do ship internationally I think, at least to their North... but I suppose it would be quite a bit more pricey to go across the pond right? :/

Yeah, I would guess so. I mean, I haven't checked the postage exactly, but judging by the other guitars I've shipped internationally, or looked into shipping, I'd guess at postage being $100, maybe more, and then there's customs on top of that (which are liable to be around 25% of the total price, including postage)... so it's very quickly a lot more expensive... And when the whole point of things like xaviere and agile is that they're good value, lose the value and... there's just not much point. Especially when we have good value stuff here like Vintage which isn't that much more...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 22, 2010,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1

Yeah, I would guess so. I mean, I haven't checked the postage exactly, but judging by the other guitars I've shipped internationally, or looked into shipping, I'd guess at postage being $100, maybe more, and then there's customs on top of that (which are liable to be around 25% of the total price, including postage)... so it's very quickly a lot more expensive... And when the whole point of things like xaviere and agile is that they're good value, lose the value and... there's just not much point. Especially when we have good value stuff here like Vintage which isn't that much more...

Yeah :/ Suppose that takes away from the "budget" concept behind the guitar. Customs were $40 Canadian here, so I dont know if thats comparable or if theres any difference between importing it to where you are. Worth the money I paid, although, I wouldnt go so far as to say its worth paying two or three times what I paid in shipping to get one.
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
yeah, that's the problem. customs + VAT (sales tax) is normally is around 25%... on a $200 guitar ($300, maybe $350 when you add postage), that adds up, you're talking about adding $50, maybe even $75 to the final price... Something that's excellent value for ~$200 isn't such good value when it's pushing $400, kind of thing...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Got an update for anyone interested:

Guitar sounds SWEET. 5 stars to the GFS P90's, better than any guitar's pickups ive heard in this price range by a mile. Simply blows away any Squier/Epiphone/Ltd guitar I've played. Its got enough grit to really rock out, but they clean up very nicely for the soft stuff. Very, VERY impressed with this thing.

Might not be "authentic" Jazzmaster, but the body has some weight to it and the pickups just scream - for $300 CAD give or take after shipping and tax, just an unbelievable deal.
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
nice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Its my new primary, got like... 2 epi les pauls, a squier strat, different strat, BC rich warlock, and a couple other things to choose from... this just outclasses them all.
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by ma_tt11
Its my new primary, got like... 2 epi les pauls, a squier strat, different strat, BC rich warlock, and a couple other things to choose from... this just outclasses them all.

that's right about when i started selling off the "bench players" and upgraded something else. ymmv

glad to hear it's badass.
Well theyre not all "mine," just as far as my band goes, between the 5 of us everyone seems to have a guitar or two and theyre all at the rehearsal space... I cant exactly sell off their gear
Ball Custom Mark I

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Jiiiiizz!!
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.