First of all, English is not native for me, so don't judge my grammar, please.
It would help if you show me my mistakes btw

Then
I live far-far away from US (don't ask). and guitars are overpriced in my country.

so I want to send some money to my friend so she will buy guitar and bring it to me while she visit me.

So my budget is around $700-$800. But if I work my ass off I gonna get around $950-$1000

I want something US manufactured, less desirable Mex or Japan manufactured and less than less something from Indonesia\Korea etc etc.
I want something in Les Paul of Tele shape.
Humbuckers are more desirable, but I like Tele's "glass" sound.
And I want slim width at nut.
No tremolo.

And my thoughts are highway1 tele, used american special tele, uuuuuuuseeeeed american standart tele, spalted maple tele (oups. korean made) or epiphone les paul prophecy (korean too)...

I'm realy sorry If I chosed wrong place to ask..

Thanks.
You really shouldn't be so biased against Mexican or Asian-made guitars. They have very good features for the money.

Fender made some teles with carved tops and humbuckers, which are a pretty good middle ground between Teles and Les Pauls, although they might be out of your price range.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Special-Edition-Custom-Telecaster-FMT-HH-Electric-Guitar?sku=511262
Last edited by sashki at Sep 21, 2010,
What are some bands whose sound you like?
What kind of amp are you playing through?

It's almost impossible to go wrong with a '72 Telecaster Deluxe, and they're in your lower price range. Road Worn series is your upper price range.

I think a Faded Les Paul is in your budget too, but I'd definitely say Telecaster Deluxe first.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by sashki
You really shouldn't be so biased against Mexican or Asian-made guitars. They have very good features for the money.

I wish it were so!
But everywhere I ask, I got the same answer: American manufactured are better.

Quote by sashki

Fender made some teles with carved tops and humbuckers, which are a pretty good middle ground between Teles and Les Pauls, although they might be out of your price range.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Special-Edition-Custom-Telecaster-FMT-HH-Electric-Guitar?sku=511262

Aha, and most of it made in Korea.

Quote by Pink Muse
What are some bands whose sound you like?
What kind of amp are you playing through?

It's almost impossible to go wrong with a '72 Telecaster Deluxe, and they're in your lower price range. Road Worn series is your upper price range.

I think a Faded Les Paul is in your budget too, but I'd definitely say Telecaster Deluxe first.

My sound preference is wide. Sometimes I like The Showdown, sometimes The Fratellis...

Yeah, somebody advised me 72 deluxe. Well, it's mexican manufactured, and I'm gonna think about it.
Quote by nss
I wish it were so!
But everywhere I ask, I got the same answer: American manufactured are better.

This is not always true.

Korean guitars are really nice and you typically get good quality and good features for the price, but higher end Japanese guitars are on par with American guitars in the same price brackets.

Mexican guitars are great budget guitars, they're cheap but they also are very good quality.

I personally would go with a Japanese ESP over an American guitar any day of the week. (/fanboyism)

Your budget can get quite a nice guitar.

I like the concept of the Spalted Maple tele, but it's not a genuine tele...it just has the same shape (It's more of a supertele lol)
i think you should get the epiphone les paul special II.
in canada it's about 400bucks,so in USA it should be around the same price.
and it's the best guitar of it's price,but if you want something else,stay at a cheap tele.
My Epi SG is also Chinese, and it's been over 2 years but it's still perfectly fine and usable.
So call me dumb, call me idiot, cretin etc, but I'd like to buy US, Japan or Mex manufactured guitars, or, if the worst comes to the worst Korean. But not Chinese or Indonesian.
I wasn't going to call you dumb or anything.

I was just trying to point out that American guitars are not the end all in terms of quality. In my opinion USA = Jap > Korean >= Mex > China/Indo (I say this when looking at guitars in similar price brackets, obviously a $6000 Gibson USA will be of different quality to a $1300 Japanese Ibanez)

But since you're looking at Fender obviously you'd want to get the best value for your money and go for a used USA tele.

If your friend is okay with it you could look up her local craiglist and see if anyone's selling the USA tele you want. And she could meet that person and buy it as long as it looks playable. (Or tell her what she should see when inspecting a used guitar.)

By looking on Craiglist you can get the best value for your money. And you might be able to save 30%-40% on the guitar and it can still be in good condition.
Quote by SHnakes
i think you should get the epiphone les paul special II.
in canada it's about 400bucks,so in USA it should be around the same price.
and it's the best guitar of it's price,but if you want something else,stay at a cheap tele.

The special 2 is most defiantly Chinese made, and sells in the US for around 170 or so. It's a very very beginner instrument. You can get a used fender or an entry level model for your price range.
Which of them are realy "reissue"? I think all of them. Fender just changed series name.