Page 1 of 2
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1523/generation-y-giving-cars-a-pass/

So, I'm not ever sure whether I should take this article seriously, but...
Apparently, Gen Y scares Automakers.

Selling cars to young adults under 30 is proving to be a real challenge for automakers. Unlike their elders, Generation Yers own fewer cars and don’t drive much. They’re likely to see autos as a source of pollution, not as a sex or status symbol
I don't know about you, but most people I know own a car. They just don't get the lexus or caddy. Considering how expensive college, owning a house or renting an apartment (or college dorm room) is; I'm not surprised we own less cars these days.

“This generation focuses its buying on computers, BlackBerrys, music and software and views commuting a few hours by car a huge productivity waste when they can work using PDAs while taking the bus and train,” says Draves.
This is probably true. We all seem to have computers, iPods, and all that fancy shit.

Anyway, what's the Pit's opinion? Do we generally buy less cars? If so, why? Is it just too expensive? Or do we of the Pit actually care more about the environment and lowering pollution than we do about how much cash we have to spend?
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Sep 21, 2010,
And (with ni misrespect) you're point is exactly wha'?...
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
Quote by Tim the Rocker
And (with ni misrespect) you're point is exactly wha'?...

Read the questions. They prompt discussion. My point is simply to see how people view this issue.
Most people in my school get cars as soon as they turn 16.

edit: they are usually used cars, but a lot of kids get new ones.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Quote by mcjosh

Darn Americans... who let a person drive at 16 but they can't drink until they are 21? One-of-our-many-soon-official-Gods bless Europe...
Guitars:
- Gibson SG Standard
- Lag Roxane 500
- Eastwood Hi-Flyer
- Takamine EG523

Amplifiers:
- Jet City JCA50H
- George Dennis 60Watt The Blue Combo
- Marshall SuperBass 100Watt
I have no money...
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by mcjosh

This. I was from a town of less than 2500 people, and I was one of the minority who didn't get a car for my 16th birthday.

Hell, a lot of my friends went through multiple cars before I got my first one, and have gone through many more, while I'm still struggling to keep mine running.

AÆdit:
Quote by Tim the Rocker
Darn Americans... who let a person drive at 16 but they can't drink until they are 21? One-of-our-many-soon-official-Gods bless Europe...

Yeah, we think it's stupid too.
Last edited by archangels at Sep 21, 2010,
I bought my own car when I was seventeen.

It was a rusted out Volkswagen bus. Its name is Delano the Shggin' Wagon. It has a bad and a sink inside, so I don't need an apartment, just a drive-way.

I also hate blackberrys and PDA's. Buying music online is also destroying the Album and the way things was.

The bus is great though. all you need is $1.25 and you're where you wanna be.
We are trying to be more eco-friendly, and riding trains/buses don't cost gas.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Way to call every male under 30 a hipster, wankers.
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

I do care about pollution, but not enough to NOT buy a car. I might consider the efficiency of the car when I buy it however.

As for computers, yes, I build computers, and honestly, they are the future imo. With the economy the way it is and computer prices going down, its easier to use tools like tele-confrencing or working online in general than commuting.

tl;dr economy is in the shitter, cars are inefficient compared to computers in general, but it wouldnt change my mind about buying a car if i had the money.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by Tim the Rocker
And we can legally fight (in the military) at 18. But we can't drink and fight 'til 21.

Quote by Pencil Man
We are trying to be more eco-friendly, and riding trains/buses don't cost gas.

Um...what? Buses use gas too. Yeah, it's diesel, but it still comes from that almighty resource called "oil". They are cleaner than cars (sometimes), but not clean enough that I'd actually call them "eco-friendly". (See the plume of black fumes coming from the back of the bus.)

Also, trains, though they don't use gas, still cost money. However, they are more eco-friendly. Now, if someone could make them PRACTICAL, that'd be great.
Take the metropolis of Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP for short). In MSP, there's a train that basically goes from the Mall of America to Northern Minneapolis. The problem is, it doesn't actually go to the suburbs really. It doesn't have enough stops or go enough places to make people choose the train over driving a car.
I'm going to have to agree with this article; I read it yesterday at work and it dawned on me on how many of my co-workers here of my age range either have very inexpensive cars or ride a bicycle to work. The same can be said around Long Beach where many ride bicycles to get around including my old friends from college who now live in Long Beach. With the clear focus on the article being that automakers can't seem to sell NEW cars to us, I can discern the severity of their situation since many decide to go for cars 7+ years old or opt for a bicycle. Hell, I myself bought a Triumph to ride from Thursday-Sunday so I can save some cash on gas and other expenses on my Volvo. The days of our status symbol being us driving a brand new car are probably long gone as many care to just spend money on other necessities or luxuries (like going out).
I'm 23.

I drive a lot, I don't care about how much gas I burn.
I drive a 2010 BMW 335i. I think it is a good way to show off.

As for the productivity thing, my car reads my text messages. I can display my emails on my Navi system. Plus, I never solved a problem while driving to work. :/

Fail.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
I am 21 and I commute a total of an hour and a half a day by car. Why? Because there is no mass transit where I live.

Where is your generalizing God now, article?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Insurer's dont want us to have cars, therefore we do not have them since we do not have the money to do so.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Let me spell it out for ya...

We are P-O-O-R!!!

Cars cost money and we don't have any because the Republicans sold us out 30 years ago.

Don't think they did? Well they deregulated business so that now you can hire Ching Chong to make it for $0.02/hr, and the Middle Class (who doesn't typically vote for them) has found that jobs with fair salaries, benefits and pensions are basically impossible to find - it's like hunting for Bigfoot.

You'd probably have more luck with Bigfoot!

So now unless you have a PhD there are no jobs above the "Welcome to McDonalds, can I help you?" level.

I even wrote a skit where they will "train" you to act retarded so corporations have to hire you. Take advantage of the "one MR per location" policy by learning the fine arts of:

* drooling
* soiling your trousers
* bumping repeatedly into stuff for no apparent reason

and best of all...

* the inexplicable raging rampage of total destruction for which you are not legally responsible since you're "special."

...and they're surprised we don't buy cars. Shit, I'm surprised we buy milk.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

^+1
It's so weird how our generation is perceived by the last generation.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Um...what? Buses use gas too. Yeah, it's diesel, but it still comes from that almighty resource called "oil". They are cleaner than cars (sometimes), but not clean enough that I'd actually call them "eco-friendly". (See the plume of black fumes coming from the back of the bus.)

Um.... a bus also carries 50-100 people. Most cars are carrying 1.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
"Selling cars to young adults under 30 is proving to be a real challenge for automakers. Unlike their elders, Generation Yers own fewer cars and don’t drive much. They’re likely to see autos as a source of pollution, not as a sex or status symbol."

**** pollution and the environment, we don't buy as many cars because we don't have any M-O-N-E-Y!

Unless your daddy or mommy are loaded and can afford to buy you a a car at graduation, an ordinary young person will have to spend money on living, education and other basic necessities like food and clothing until they have some sort of career and stable job which in many cases doesn't happen until you're 30+.

But whatevs, it would be like talking to a brick wall anyways. You go out to one of these analysis groups and spell this same thing out to them and they will probably look at you glossy eyed and say "Oh, so you would like a greener car?"

Edit: +999999999 to Bubonic Chronic.

I just started typing as soon as i entered the thread but you pretty much summed it up for me.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
Last edited by DZCunuck at Sep 21, 2010,
most people i know have a car and a bike. there are lots of people in this area of louisville (the ultra-liberal part of the city) who just have a bike.

i've thought about selling my car, but my bass is too big. i can't do it.

good news though!
#DTWD
Cars will always be essential for some, those who live in the suburbs in winter for example. They will also always be desired by those who don't need them if they have the cash.
Automakers will be fine for years to come if they make a good car at a good price.
Quote by SteveHouse
I am 21 and I commute a total of an hour and a half a day by car. Why? Because there is no mass transit where I live.

Where is your generalizing God now, article?
Ironically, I'm in the same situation. So, you understand me being miffed.

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
*Long politically charged and ill-informed rant*
Get out. This isn't ultimate-conspiracy.com. I do understand what you're saying, but it's hardly that clear cut.
(Btw, I'm not insulting you or your opinion; I just happen to believe nothing is ever as clear cut as we try to make it. So, don't take what I say personally.)

Quote by Vornik
Um.... a bus also carries 50-100 people. Most cars are carrying 1.

Which is irrelevant in certain metropolises, since the bus lines are usually so shitty that people prefer to drive. Yes, it does save on pollution, but few people who ride the bus actually give a damn about pollution. They just don't wanna have to spend $30 to $50 every few days or week or whatever to fill their car's gas tank.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Read the questions. They prompt discussion. My point is simply to see how people view this issue.

what issue?
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by KirkMetallica
Way to call every male under 30 a hipster, wankers.

This, basically

Almost everyone I know has a car or drives regularly; I go to a high school where some sophomores have cars by some divine providence. And their cars usually outvalue the ones in staff parking by a good 10k.

My own car is used, 12 years old, but with great mileage. To be honest, I really don't need it right now, and I don't drive that often (partially due to gas conservation/money concern, partially because I don't need to drive all that often), but I'll need it for next year (college) to avoid being stabbed on public transportation (an exaggeration, admittedly, but it'd be that much easier).

I could see myself in my 20's getting by okay without a car though. Depends on where you live, really. If I continue living here, definitely not.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ironically, I'm in the same situation. So, you understand me being miffed.

Nothing to be miffed about. You're linking Yahoo!. You'll notice the other Yahoo! news story linked to the Pit this afternoon takes "in the short term, adding exercise alone is inferior to adding diet alone" and trumpets it as "EXERCISE DOES SHIT ALL!!!!'

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Gasoline prices. Duh.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I do understand what you're saying, but it's hardly that clear cut.

Globalization in general has led to the decline of the Middle Class, which is the primary automotive market.

People our age are less likely to enter the Middle Class for a variety of reasons, but namely Globalization as the standards of living reach equilibrium throughout the world and ours (in the US, UK, etc) decline relative to those in India, China and Brazil, etc.

They go from living in shit-shacks and drinking their own feces to having a telemarketing job for an American corporation and drinking their own feces. We go from feeding a family of four on a Postman's salary to needing at least one six-figure earner in the family to sustain the kind of lifestyle we grew up with (or at least that I grew up with.)

Not complaining, it's just reality.

The good news about this car business is that cars really are a giant waste of money, so perhaps our generation Y is making the wise choice not to buy them.

If I lived in the city, I would definitely not own a car. I wish I didn't need one, but I do. Otherwise I simply would not be self-sufficient. I'm 23 and just bought a 1997 Kia Sportage as my third car.

Honestly this is one of the factors which keep making me want to move. I want to live in a big city up North where people actually do things, there are actually seasons (as opposed to hot and not-as-hot), and you don't need to own an expensive, inconvenient automobile. There are ofcourse pros and cons, the things I've mentioned being only pros. But still.

I live in Florida, BTW.
We're only strays.
Lol. I'm 23, and I just bought a brand new truck. Although I guess I am pretty much the only one in my little group of friends who has the money and job to do that...
Who the hell actually buys their kid a car when they're 16? Here in Canada it seems most teenagers work to buy their own (usually used) car, and the ones that get them as presents are looked down upon as spoiled (which they usually are).
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

I don't know about you, but most people I know own a car. They just don't get the lexus or caddy. Considering how expensive college, owning a house or renting an apartment (or college dorm room) is; I'm not surprised we own less cars these days.

That was the ENTIRE point of the article. It is about NEW cars and how we're not buying them. We're buying used cars and iPods and iPhones. Some people are buying brand new cars, but because of our other spending, it isn't usually the case.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
haha wtf is this shit?

I've not met any male that doesn't want a car, regardless of background. The only obstacle is usually money. And most girls I know drive/want to drive as well, even the eco-hippie girl I used to know.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Well, Gen Y scares me in general, so I can understand there sentiment.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
I'm 18, pretty much everyone I know either has a car, wants a car or is at uni, so there's no point in having a car. Article is pretty sh*t.
It'll be okay. jesus will make it all better.

Quote by guylee
I don't give a shit about pollution

lots of people i know have cars or want one. usually they are used so i guess this article may be talking about buying new cars (?). also im sure lots of teens want to drive as early as possible instead of taking the bus or something. i guess this study was based on the green earth teens (?).
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Page 1 of 2