basically im thinking about them for a guitar i am getting soon and want to know if they are any good and which ones to pair together.

i will be using it to play metal mostly thrash. please dont suggest actives as i have already decided i dont want them.

thanks guys
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
why emg passive, why not go with seymour duncan or dimarzio. you should get the d'activeator's from dimarzio. supposed to sound like active, but they're passive.
o and i meant to say the geet is an epi explorer and played through a vox valvetronix
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
Quote by Grassyknolls
why emg passive, why not go with seymour duncan or dimarzio. you should get the d'activeator's from dimarzio. supposed to sound like active, but they're passive.

tbh its partly the looks of them. i no that sounds wierd but im real funny bout that sort of thing
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
Why not get some proper passives instead? EMG-HZ's aren't exactly revered for their godly tone.

VÅDIT you like the covered look, rite. You could get some pickups covers ala what les paul guitars have.
Last edited by Våd Hamster at Sep 21, 2010,
if you want EMGs, go active
enough said.. i know you said that you don't want actives, but the passive EMG sound is not the greatest in the world.. how about DiMarzios?
Edit:
If you really want that active EMG sound but don't want to go active just check out the DiMarzio D-Activators... Comes in Camo which is pretty cool
Last edited by SilverRock113 at Sep 21, 2010,
well they dont have to be emgs but what i like is the emg look
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
Okay then. But to answer your question-

Quote by iamflipbaby
i want to know if they are any good

No, they are not.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Okay then. But to answer your question-

No, they are not.

lol. ok fair do's. so if i go for the actives, how much is it likely to cost to get the body routed? dont wanna spend loads (other than the cost of the pickups)
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
Eh, that depends entirely on where you get it done. Some luthiers/guitar shops will rip you off, some will do it seemingly free, and yet others will glue them on top of your stock pickups and claim you got what you wanted. Honestly I don't know.

But, if I may be so bold, you're probably better off getting a guitar with actives installed already.
well i did think that, but i want an explorer but dont have gibson money!! it still works out a lot cheaper to put them in to an epi
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
What's your budget?

Honestly if you have the money ($300) get some BKPs

They're talked about on these forums like God's gifts to metal.

And not only are they supposed to sound like the aforementioned gifts but they come with custom covers.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_28&products_id=63

Just a thought.
think ill check out the bareknuckle's then
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
oh and moneys not a problem, i can go up to about £400 (but shldnt need to)
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
You're even from the UK which makes BKPs a bit mroe practical lol.

And if you have any questions about their tone search youtube. They sound pretty damn nice on most vids. And I'm pretty sure the BKP guys on the forum will say the same thing
Get a set of Bareknuckles then. I stuck a Warpig in my RG and that thing screams - I've got an explorer with EMGs and I really wish I'd got some more BKPs or some Bulldogs. Have a chat to Tim at Bareknuckle and he'll sort you out.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
sweet. think ill look into those then. they sound like the best option
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I actually get a great sound of my passive EMGs. People bash them a lot but ive never had a problem. Having said that Im upgrading them to blackouts soon lol. Might put the EMGs in an SG or something
i think im gonna take everyones advice and put the BKP's in. mite get some for my sg too
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
EMGs in Epi Explorers are a great idea.

They sound the nuts.

Also you do not need any routing at all.

There is plenty of room for the 9v battery in the control cavity mate.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by iamflipbaby
i think im gonna take everyones advice and put the BKP's in. mite get some for my sg too

Get a Miracle Man or Painkiller or maybe even a Nailbomb depending on what wood your guitar is. The Warpig probably won't be be tight enough to sound ideal for Thrash Metal.

BKP is the only way to go if you have the money. I'm in love with my Holy Diver.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Last edited by itchy guitar at Sep 21, 2010,
Quote by itchy guitar
Get a Miracle Man or Painkiller or maybe even a Nailbomb depending on what wood your guitar is. The Warpig probably won't be be tight enough to sound ideal for Thrash Metal.

BKP is the only way to go if you have the money. I'm in love with my Holy Diver.

Tokai sg is MIK so i beleive the body is basswood, but im not really sure. it would actually be great to know, so if any one does and can tell me that would be great.

Also i should mention i didnt buy an explorer in the end but instead went for a les paul (man i love them). but thanks neways guys, and soz for wasting your time lolz!
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved