Are there any advantages with a vintage tremolo compared to a double locking floyd rose tremolo? Do they give different type of sounds or something? Maybe this is a total noob-question, but i don't know much at all about tremolos.
This is just pure curiosity.

Thanks in advance
Noob on most guitar-oriented stuff.

ESP LTD EX-400
Epiphone Les Paul Goth
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Peavey Bandit 112
Line 6 Spider III 15w
Digitech RP500
nt really imo. the floyd is more sensetive so that mite be somethin. personal preference really
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
A floyd rose will give you more range.

A vintage style will be (arguably) easier to restring/change tunings

A double locking tremolo will stay in tune more.
A double locking you can (sometimes) pull up on.

A vintage is sometimes cheaper.
A vintage makes you look less "bro0tZZ"
Quote by mohawk17slo
in my opinion both suck ass, because you cant easily change tunnings

u can with a regular trem, jus not the floyd
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
It depends on what you want to do with the trem.

Squealies and divebombs and other large whammy antics? Then you want a floyd.

Light vibrato to accenuate a few notes as well as pressing a bit lower on the bar once in a while. Then a vintage trem (Fender, PRS, etc)
Quote by iamflipbaby
u can with a regular trem, jus not the floyd

lolwutnow?

either set up to float will be a pain to change tunings in.

Basically, you probably get a little more sparkle to the tone with vintage trems, and they're better for more subtle vibrato. The floyd has more range and stays in tune better, and you can do tricks like gargles etc. with them, but because they have so much range it's harder to be more subtle with them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Palm mutes sound better on Anything which aren't floyd roses
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
you can do Br00talZ with a vintage trem, just dont expect your tuning to lasst unless you have a good nut and locking tuners.

i personally prefer the feel of a vintage trem, such as those on PRS guitars.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Most floyd's are set up to be floating and are back-routed.
Non-locking tremolos are rarely back-routed, so if you don't use one often, you can set it up so that it rests on the body for additional tuning stability when you're not using it.

With floyds, you've got to adjust them perfectly for them to stay in tune. I guess the same applies to floating vintage trems, but only if you plan to use them a lot. You can "ignore" them if you don't ues them, which is difficult with a Floyd.

I hope that made sense.
The Double-Locking designs are superior to the vintage Fender tremolo. They were created to fix the the problem of the guitar going out of tune with a vintage unit. They do this very well, but they bring a set of their own headaches along with them.

There is really only one advantage to the vintage tremolo, and that comes when you get sick of having it. It is a lot easier to block a vintage-style tremolo than it is to block a double-lock/floating tremolo. Of course, you could've bought a hardtail and saved yourself the trouble.

The double-lock design is truly a better mousetrap.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
If you string your guitar properly and don't do any excessive divebombs and pullups then a vintage trem can have great tuning stability.
i think natural sustain-wise
vintage > floyd rose

but you can add a tremol-no to your floyd rose, which can instantaneously convert a floyd rose to a hard tail. though it isn't as effective as a real hard tail.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain