Hey UG I was just playing around with my TS-9 tubescreamer and it got me wondering...

How do YOU guys use your boosts/ OD's? Feel free to include settings, where it's at in your signal path, etc etc.

Have at it!
My Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser FR Special.
EpiG400 lefty w/Dimarzio X2N/ Irongear Hot Slag
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
2x12 Cab w/ WGS v30 / gt65
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah truebypass
ICP Gstring Decimator
TubeScreamer or SD-1 in front of a hi-gain amp (6505, dual rectifier, Fireball, JCM900 and so on), makes the tone a lot tighter. Drive close to 0, tone above 12 o'clock, unison level.
Thats similar to how I use it normally, but it got me wondering.. am I shaping my tone a lot with the boost? I havent compared it A/B with different amps it makes me wonder if they sound more alike with the boost on. (if that made sense?)
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
its a modded ts-9 (its got metal film resistors and the ts808 chip) i put right after my tuner before the amp. It sounds great. I just wonder how much of my sound is now the TS-9 as opposed to my amp. (peavey XXX)
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Quote by bj_squeelie
Thats similar to how I use it normally, but it got me wondering.. am I shaping my tone a lot with the boost? I havent compared it A/B with different amps it makes me wonder if they sound more alike with the boost on. (if that made sense?)

I use a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 on my Single Recto, but I don't like it much on my Carvin Legacy. I think that's more or less what you're getting at... The TS-9 kind of annoyed me when I had it, but it worked well on both of those amps. Each amp still sounded it itself though...
Quote by goodolcola
TubeScreamer or SD-1 in front of a hi-gain amp (6505, dual rectifier, Fireball, JCM900 and so on), makes the tone a lot tighter. Drive close to 0, tone above 12 o'clock, unison level.

This is what I do also. you can get all sorts of awesome 80's lead tones with this, especially with your bass backed off a bit, boosted mids, and treble somewhere between on your amp.

More recently though, for the sake of experimenting, I backed my bass to halfway, put my mids up, but with my treble a bit higher than usual. Doing this with my SD-1 at the same settings I'd normally use would definitely make a super harsh high end (SD-1's
'tone' control higher than 12 o'clock), so I turned down the tone control to about 10:30, and i upped the drive to around 12/1 o'clock to compensate for the loss of high end.

Sorry for the wall of text, but anyone who has some delay and reverb can get a nice greasy sounding tone from those settings from a light crunch tone w/o the OD
Just thought I'd share
crank it up to the max.
i want METAL in here!
??? Fund: cba to keep up with it.
will at least try when I get a jerb
੧_\\\

yours,

Alex (mcfreaki)
I like doing the good ol' gain at 0 level at 10 to make my already br00t41 XXX even more so
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
Quote by bj_squeelie
its a modded ts-9 (its got metal film resistors and the ts808 chip) i put right after my tuner before the amp. It sounds great. I just wonder how much of my sound is now the TS-9 as opposed to my amp. (peavey XXX)

I thought you meant a boost pedal, oh well. What the TS does is pretty much give your signal a bit more mids and it somehow tightens the bottom of your signal depending on how you turn the tone knob. It's to give the amp a better signal to process, and obviously it gives it more drive if you turn the drive knob up (nothing I recommend on a hi-gain amp, gain should be close to 0).
Jet City has a OD/Boost in the works, and I can't wait for it. But other than that, to boost your tone, get an EQ, a Noise Suppressor, a OD/Boost and you'll be good.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
I use the MXR Wylde OD. I like how it doesn't have the mid boost. I use a Les Paul and i like having a good amount of mids. I used to use a tubescreamer, both the ts808 and the ts9, and I actually like the sound of my setup better with the ZW44. I probably wouldn't work with an amp like a 6505 or a Mesa, but it kills with Marshall sounding amps.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by ChrisBW
I use a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 on my Single Recto, but I don't like it much on my Carvin Legacy. I think that's more or less what you're getting at... The TS-9 kind of annoyed me when I had it, but it worked well on both of those amps. Each amp still sounded it itself though...

This is pretty much what I was getting at.

Anyone else? I want some more opinions here!! Anyone that doesn't just use them drives on 0 and levels on 10?
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
i use a zvex sho clone to drive my first gain stage, it is almost always on. i also use the boost before my OD pedal as it seems to make the OD more crisp.

hope zack doesn't come on here and rail me for using a clone of his boost he got from a recording board. he's done it before (not to me, but he does have an account here, and i bought one of his 'machines' so i hope he isn't too pissed).

i use a 2 channel OD pedal, addrock not so ol yeller. first channel is set to real low gain, second channel is set to about 1/2 way. i use channel one for breakup, but just enough to push it into clipping (so it cleans up real well when i roll back on the volume knob), the second channel is for a bit of lead work with a little more of a volume boost to help cut through the mix for solos.

edit: my levels are set right around even for the most part (with the noted bump for leads). i use these pedals cuz i use 2 or 3 amps at a time and it's easier to get distortion this way.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 21, 2010,
Quote by gumbilicious

hope zack doesn't come on here and rail me for using a clone of his boost he got from a recording board. he's done it before (not to me, but he does have an account here, and i bought one of his 'machines' so i hope he isn't too pissed).

He does? Really? I remember there was a huge thread of ZVex hate here one time.

Anyway, to answer the OP's question, I use my Bad Monkey as a clean boost for the OD channel, and also to give my cleans a bit of dirt.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
That sounds interesting how much does one of those pedals go for? New/ used or w/e
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+112 (head)
GFS Tuner
TS-9 (Keeley ish mod)
ICP Gstring Decimator
Quote by gumbilicious
He only rails people who sell clones at a reasonable cost.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
He only rails people who sell clones at a reasonable cost.

it was very reasonable, i love the damn thing too. once you crack it open, you totally realize it isn't worth the ~150 for his. damn good pedal though. supposed to be modeled after a console that was known for plugging direct in, like Hendrix did a bit toward the end.

-ae
I originally bought an ocd to attempt to have a switch between 3 main channels (clean, distortion, overdrive with distortion already on). It actually doesn't sound great, in order to have a substantial difference in tone (from distortion to overdrive), it seems like I need to turn the drive up to the point where I get nothing but choppy distortion

It really seems like a job for a tubescreamer
ummmmm...

am i missing something here? isn't an OCD only a couple components removed from a tubescreamer? like the OCD is a very light tubescreamer mod right?

try and old rat distortion dude, those things scream

-ae
I'm running a TS9DX currently, usually on the TS9 setting for the lead channel of my Mark, level at about 12 o'clock, gain all the way off and tone at about 12 o'clock too.
When I use it on the R2 (crunch) channel, I usually use the Hot or + setting, level at about 3 o'clock, gain around 12 o'clock, tone at 12 still.

I've been thinking of ditching the TS9DX to make way for an Xotic BB Preamp, for some Andy Timmons style goodness.
I use 'em for load of things.
Mainly to boost a solo or to bring my amp into more overdriven territory (while having the gain on like 4. don't like having my amp gain too high unless it's for one specific thing).
But occasionally just to get different tones too. Like, I used to have a BB-II pedal and a BD style pedal in my chain, plus my amp's boost footswitch, I love having variety.
i use clean boosts in front of my sims on my GT-10. turning up the distortio(on pedals)n is very fuzzy for me, haven't figured that out yet

gain 0, unison level, minus tone to warmup a little.
i use a modded boss sd1-ts808 specs including the chip change, as a boost but to kind of give my matchless spitfire more of a crunchy midrangy marshall feel. normally i have the tone at about 10 oclock, gain at about 9 and volume at 3.

i also have a master volume super hard on clone which i either use at unity gain to add some of those sparkly highs and spank the shd is known for. other times ill use it to drive the front end of the spitfire harder and get real raunchy.
Overdrives and boosts? I use them to overdrive and boost my amps.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by gumbilicious
ummmmm...

am i missing something here? isn't an OCD only a couple components removed from a tubescreamer? like the OCD is a very light tubescreamer mod right?

try and old rat distortion dude, those things scream

No, it's a different circuit. More gain, more ouptut, less of a mid hump.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater