Hello guys!
I am looking to pick up a steel string for about 100-150 pounds. Suggestions? All i can come up with is Yamaha FG310 MEGA-GIGA-PACK.....So i am assuming there has to be something better at that price.... Just guitar. Period. No need for amps....

I have been playing over a year....and also have a takamine classical........ I miss strumming on my steel string.....
Since i have moved continents i am not well versed with local makes which are good as well. A quick search reveals Falcon, hofner, Martin Smith...... and.....Spongebob square pants....

Cheers!
Last edited by HGedia at Sep 22, 2010,
Vintage V300 (google shopping £99) and Washburn D10 S (£130) are teh two best buys in that price range.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
@HGedia
If you're looking for a guitar at the £100 price mark then the Yamaha F310 really is an excellent choice. It's probably the best selling guitar in the UK at this price point. For an honest review of this guitar you can see and hear it in action on our video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_hDSqY3S6U
Skeet UK has mentioned the V300 and D10S. Both these are also great guitars.
Quote by HGedia
Cheers guys! Thanks for your suggestions.

I don't mind shelling out another 50 quid (150 would be the max i can stretch) if the need be.... How are tanglewoods ? Has any one played with this baby ?

http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/product-detail.asp?id=5408&catid=4&manid=106&quantity=1&product=Tanglewood+TW28CLN+%2C+Natural%2C+New

Dude, if you can go £150...borrow a couple of quid from someone and get this
Tanglewood
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Woooaah.... never thought i'd get a tanglewood with that price range.... that does look sweet!

What seems the be the difference between SSA and SSN ? The prices are about 50 quid apart.. :S
I have also been considering the FG700 from YAMAHA.

I usually play stuff like nirvana , pearl jam or likes on my acoustic , so would this shape cut a good sound ? My last guitar had a classical shape but steel strings

Thanks a lot street!

Also on a side note has any one bought stuff from here : DV247.COM ?

Cheers!
Quote by HGedia
Woooaah.... never thought i'd get a tanglewood with that price range.... that does look sweet!

What seems the be the difference between SSA and SSN ? The prices are about 50 quid apart.. :S
I have also been considering the FG700 from YAMAHA.

I usually play stuff like nirvana , pearl jam or likes on my acoustic , so would this shape cut a good sound ? My last guitar had a classical shape but steel strings

Thanks a lot street!

Also on a side note has any one bought stuff from here : DV247.COM ?

Cheers!

SSA is probably Solid Spruce Ash (better)
SSN is probably Solid Spruce Nato (not so good)

FG730 is nice. DV247 is pretty cool, some nice prices.

If you want that Tanglewood, Eagle music is the only way to go, as outlined above.

As for sound, it's a Dread shape, so should be pretty loud, not so much as a Jumbo though.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I did notice a deal on DV247 ,
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/tanglewood-evolution-tw28-ssa-natural-gloss-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar--66019

The sites seem to have same description, but if i look at tanglewoods website,
SSN has Mahagony sides where as SSA has Ash sides......

How does Ash compare in tone with Mahagony ? From the looks of it , i will have to order it without getting to hear the tone first hand.....

I can try out other models to get a feel of it...

Thanks!
Last edited by HGedia at Sep 25, 2010,
Quote by HGedia
I did notice a deal on DV247 ,
http://www.dv247.com/guitars/tanglewood-evolution-tw28-ssa-natural-gloss-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar--66019

The sites seem to have same description, but if i look at tanglewoods website,
SSN has Mahagony sides where as SSA has Ash sides......

How does Ash compare in tone with Mahagony ? From the looks of it , i will have to order it without getting to hear the tone first hand.....

I can try out other models to get a feel of it...

Thanks!

There you go then, but...if you tell Eagle Music what you can get it for elsewhere, they will match it, maybe chuck in a case and you get the decent setup and 2 year warranty as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about tone. It will sound better than most of the stuff you can buy upto £150, so what choice do you have?
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
hehe , I know exactly what you mean..... The more I look online , the more my head feels it is going to explode..

I can go a little further to be honest with payday around the corner..... since this being a one time investment for another 2-3 years.... I wouldn't mind stretching pushing upto 200.

That's pretty much twice my original budget

But yeah , its about time i start visiting store and playing out instruments......

The trial list is as follows:

Tanglewood TW28 SSN/SSA/CSN/Nashville II
Yamaha FG700/F300 - FG730 is definitely out of reach.....it goes for about 250 odd
Epiphone Dove
Washburn D10S

Street! I so owe you a couple of beer's if i am up in kent

Cheers!
Quote by Gyoung1991
That's a heavy guitar.

My first thought as well.
Quote by Eric_Fail
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Fart over it.
I'll fart over you if you're not careful

Quote by HGedia
hehe , I know exactly what you mean..... The more I look online , the more my head feels it is going to explode..

I can go a little further to be honest with payday around the corner..... since this being a one time investment for another 2-3 years.... I wouldn't mind stretching pushing upto 200.

That's pretty much twice my original budget

But yeah , its about time i start visiting store and playing out instruments......

The trial list is as follows:

Tanglewood TW28 SSN/SSA/CSN/Nashville II
Yamaha FG700/F300 - FG730 is definitely out of reach.....it goes for about 250 odd
Epiphone Dove
Washburn D10S

Street! I so owe you a couple of beer's if i am up in kent

Cheers!

It's Skeet dude!
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
Hey, I have a Farida D-8. Its really really good for the price (£170ish). Its nice to play, has a good sound and is one of the best in that price range that Ive played. Actually most Farida's are good, they should be known more....

yeah, Farida D-8's my reccomendation! I got mine from Dawson's.
Last edited by StarsFallForMJ at Sep 28, 2010,