Just something I noticed and wonder about.

With the position (2nd in pic) that selects the two singles closest to the neck, the neck single (on the humbucker) is the further coil from the neck.
Why wouldn't it be the one closest to the neck, especially on a 24 fret guitar. This must take a lot of warmth from the tone of that pup, so why don't they put it in the other way round?
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 21, 2010,
G'day...
You could try a push/pull pot to split the humbucker... Saves drilling holes... I have owned a 540S, for 20 years, and never have I used the 2nd or 4th position on the switch...
Quote by paul67
G'day...
You could try a push/pull pot to split the humbucker... Saves drilling holes... I have owned a 540S, for 20 years, and never have I used the 2nd or 4th position on the switch...

That's not what he was asking?

And i'm assuming (possibly wrongly) that since this is HSH setup that this is some kind of Ibanez,Jackson, LTD, superstrat thing. They're made to play metal so the stock pickups MAY be muddy, so they set it up like that.

Maybe they never thought of that.

Maybe they had developed that wiring diagram a while ago and don't want to change it.

Maybe they're lazy
It doesnt sound much different at all actually. People do it that way because it is easier to wire and doing it the other way causes phase issues, unless of course you swap polarity of both pups. but then you'd have the neck-most coil of the bridge pup instead f the bridge-most coil of the neck pup.
^ So if I was to turn just the neck pup upside down would that work OK or would I also have to turn the others around (this would also make the bridge single closest to the bridge) to avoid issues?
Last edited by Tempoe at Sep 21, 2010,