I love Journey's Neal Schon's guitar tone. I have a gibson LP Special, digetech Rp90 multi-effects pedal, and a fender 100w fm212r amp. Is there any way I can get a similar tone with what i got, or do I need to buy more pedals?
¥< flying V emoticon
You'll need a new rig, pretty much. not just pedals.

the gear you're using won't even get you close.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 21, 2010,
Quote by steaklover
how much new gear, and what?

Oh, wow. where to begin...
first off, Neal Schon uses tube amps. your SS Fender Fm ain't gonna cut it.

Second, no offense, but your multi effect is pretty much bottom of the barrel in terms of multi effects with tone. it'll give you a couple of decent reverbs, a nice chorus or two, maybe some other modualtions, but from my experience, all the dirt on that thing sucks.

I guess what I'm syaing is it'll be a while before you can afford gear to get that kind of a tone. save up at least $500 and hit the used market for tube amps. I would say get soemthing like an old silverface fender (Bassman, deluxe, bandmaster, etc), they can be found for really cheap and they're a good clean platofrm for pedals. Then, try and get your hands on a decent dirt pedal. I really reccommend the Seymour duncan twin tube classic, but it's $200. something like an analogman modded DS1 or an MXR dist III would do a decent job for less cash.

Your guitar should be okay, he uses Les Pauls too. but, once again no offence, it's bottom of the barrel. cheap wood, cheap pickups. you'll need to step it up somewhere along the line, at least an Epi LP standard. Agile, Dillon and vintage all make good LP copies, too.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 21, 2010,
My pedal has a decent tube amp imitator on it. So you are telling me that without upgrading everything there is no way I can get Neal schon's tone.
¥< flying V emoticon
Pretty much. While a lot of Neal's tone has some sort of post processing done to it, the core is a cranked tube amp. With a single channel MV Marshall you could get close with a decent set of humbuckers and a chorus and delay in front.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
If I were you I would just try to get as close as you can to that tone and enjoy what you have. Anytime you come on here and ask what you need to get a certain player's tone, your almost always gonna get disappointed and uninspired on one way or another.

So get as close as you can to your desired tone and have fun with it. And I guess start saving up
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by steaklover
My pedal has a decent tube amp imitator on it. So you are telling me that without upgrading everything there is no way I can get Neal schon's tone.

OK, I told you what you need. You can either take my advice, or you can burry your head in the sand. choice is yours, but you will NOT get a Neal Schon tone with that setup.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
OK, I told you what you need. You can either take my advice, or you can burry your head in the sand. choice is yours, but you will NOT get a Neal Schon tone with that setup.

Don't be a jerk. It was just a simple question.
It'll be hard to get a very 'authentic' Neal Schon tone with what you have. Try to go for a Marshall style distortion on your pedal. It's not going to be perfect, but you're not gigging with that tone or anything are you?
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Jesus, this Jhachey22 guy is an asshole to everybody. What a DOUCHE BAG!!!!
We also can't give you any settings with your setup because "Setting's Threads" are not allowed. Look Schon up in the Official Setting's Thread
Quote by 6o66y
Jesus, this Jhachey22 guy is an asshole to everybody. What a DOUCHE BAG!!!!

What he said is right. TS just ignored it. And *reported*.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
What he said is right. TS just ignored it. And *reported*.

Reported who? Seriously lighten up.

And Jhachey22 was right, but he didn't have to act condescending. People like him make this forum alot less enjoyable. There are members that have the knowledge and experience to act like condescending A**holes but instead offer helpful advice(MatrixClaw). Then there are douches, not pointing any fingers though
lol mmolt. reported? seriously. ZOMG! what will I ever do. That is some funny stuff, thanks for that.
Last edited by 6o66y at Sep 21, 2010,
Quote by patriotplayer90
Reported who? Seriously lighten up.

And Jhachey22 was right, but he didn't have to act condescending. People like him make this forum alot less enjoyable. There are members that have the knowledge and experience to act like condescending A**holes but instead offer helpful advice(MatrixClaw). Then there are douches, not pointing any fingers though

He contributed nothing to the conversation and called a respected member a douche bag.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

if ANYONE on this forum is condesending it's MatrixClaw . You are lucky youdidn't have one of the older guys help you, they would have torn you apart, because you're acting pretty childish, what jhacey said is right. take it or leave it.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by edbert
TS, try this website, look under the RP products section, might help you dial in your multi FX to something close.

http://www.digitech.com/soundcomm/guitar.asp

That is pretty much what I was going to say. There is a section in there where people share user patches and settings.

Settings threads are against the Rules. Check it.

Jhachey22 is a respected member here and what he said is dead on. I owned an FM100 212DSP and an RP250 and there is no way you can get a decent Journey tone out of that set up. If it were me, I'd sell the Frontman amp and the RP and look at getting a Marshall Class 5 and a cheap delay pedal.

Sometimes we get grouchy when people can't read rules and seem set on an idea of an answer they want to hear vs opinions and advice from people that have been there/done that.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 21, 2010,
I agree with 311.

there are a few other options also

Neal used Rockman equiment for awhile during the 80s and that may be a good option for you I've also heard of him using JMP1. both of these units go for around what you would get for selling your two pieces of gear. you would need a cab and power amp also though
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
That is pretty much what I was going to say. There is a section in there where people share user patches and settings.

Settings threads are against the Rules. Check it.

Jhachey22 is a respected member here and what he said is dead on. I owned an FM100 212DSP and an RP250 and there is no way you can get a decent Journey tone out of that set up. If it were me, I'd sell the Frontman amp and the RP and look at getting a Marshall Class 5 and a cheap delay pedal.

Sometimes we get grouchy when people can't read rules and seem set on an idea of an answer they want to hear vs opinions and advice from people that have been there/done that.

But thats not how he said it. The TC, who probably hasn't been playing too terribly long based on his setup, just wanted to know if he could get a certain tone. And he ended up getting every piece of equipment he owned called a piece of junk.

Now that is what I call a douche. If he is a respected member, you seriously need to have higher standards.
Quote by patriotplayer90
But thats not how he said it. The TC, who probably hasn't been playing too terribly long based on his setup, just wanted to know if he could get a certain tone. And he ended up getting every piece of equipment he owned called a piece of junk.

Now that is what I call a douche. If he is a respected member, you seriously need to have higher standards.

I should've told him his gear was top of the line instead? Sorry, a spade is a spade. I call it like I see it. If that makes me a douche, I guess i'm a douche.

Everyone starts somewhere. Hell, I owned an MG 1/2 stack, and I was damn proud of it. I refused to believe that the amp sucked, it was a Marshall for christ's sake! No matter what was said on this board, I stood by my mighty MG. I remember reccomending it to someone whow as going to buy a JCM800 because "The MG sounds justt as good, for way less".

A couple of so called "douchebags" told me how it was, and I reacted like a... you. I smartened up and started educating myself about amps, pedals, and the like. Because someone pointed me in the right direction, I've learned tons of stuff about gear, how to build it, fix it, tricks, mods, etc.

Now get over yourself and stop bantering back and forth, because it's doing nothing but bumping this thread over and over again. I said what I said because I said it. 'Nuff said.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
I should've told him his gear was top of the line instead? Sorry, a spade is a spade. I call it like I see it. If that makes me a douche, I guess i'm a douche.

Everyone starts somewhere. Hell, I owned an MG 1/2 stack, and I was damn proud of it. I refused to believe that the amp sucked, it was a Marshall for christ's sake! No matter what was said on this board, I stood by my mighty MG. I remember reccomending it to someone whow as going to buy a JCM800 because "The MG sounds justt as good, for way less".

A couple of so called "douchebags" told me how it was, and I reacted like a... you. I smartened up and started educating myself about amps, pedals, and the like. Because someone pointed me in the right direction, I've learned tons of stuff about gear, how to build it, fix it, tricks, mods, etc.

Now get over yourself and stop bantering back and forth, because it's doing nothing but bumping this thread over and over again. I said what I said because I said it. 'Nuff said.

It has nothing to do with your advice. It has to do with you being a douche.

Pointing someone in the right direction is different than acting condescending, like you are the almighty holder of knowledge when you yourself where in the same exact position not long ago. I was in the SAME exact position as you as was everybody else who has ever played a guitar.

Neal Schon uses a Vox Satchurator as well. He says he uses it for a "creamy distortion tone", but I cannot verify when exactly he uses it. But he surely has to use it for something, as it is in his live rig, so look into that pedal.
Quote by 6o66y
Well when you act like one..then /shrug.

hey, how about this from a older ornery A-hole. instead of posting content that talks garbage about other people who actually contribute, try and post something useful like edbert did.

people question good advice, then get bent out of shape when the guys gets a little short about it. get bent.

TS, play with your RP system, you can get some facsimile of tone approaching what you want. you will not get his tones.

edit: @patrioplayer, i am way more a a-hole than jhackey, how about pointing some of that at me. jhackey is a sweetheart, what did you guys do to piss him off?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 21, 2010,
Quote by patriotplayer90
It has nothing to do with your advice. It has to do with you being a douche.

Pointing someone in the right direction is different than acting condescending, like you are the almighty holder of knowledge when you yourself where in the same exact position not long ago. I was in the SAME exact position as you as was everybody else who has ever played a guitar.

Neal Schon uses a Vox Satchurator as well. He says he uses it for a "creamy distortion tone", but I cannot verify when exactly he uses it. But he surely has to use it for something, as it is in his live rig, so look into that pedal.

You're like the poster child for the Deaf society: you ain't hearing me out.

I told him what he needed. he asked if there was any way he could get Neal's tone with his gear. I said no. I made it clear that you cannot get that tone with the amp.

That should've been it right there, but I guess you felt the need to chirp up and say your opinion. everyone else got it but you.

You didn't contribute anything to this thread until the end your last post, which is still useless advice because the Saturator won't make him sound like Neal anymore than a DS1 will make you sound like Vai.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
You're like the poster child for the Deaf society: you ain't hearing me out.

I told him what he needed. he asked if there was any way he could get Neal's tone with his gear. I said no. I made it clear that you cannot get that tone with the amp.

That should've been it right there, but I guess you felt the need to chirp up and say your opinion. everyone else got it but you.

You didn't contribute anything to this thread until the end your last post, which is still useless advice because the Saturator won't make him sound like Neal anymore than a DS1 will make you sound like Vai.

So you suggesting pedals that Neal doesn't use is better advice than suggesting a pedal he DOES use?

Explain that to me
Quote by patriotplayer90
So you suggesting pedals that Neal doesn't use is better advice than suggesting a pedal he DOES use?

Explain that to me

you're smarter than me, apparently. let me know when you figure it out.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by patriotplayer90

Explain that to me

loaded question anyone? is this about coming up with some stumping question he can't answer or to actually help TS? you are not helping TS with such empty observations and questions.

so far jhackey has given the most informed answer and has received nothing but grief over it, this seems obvious to me, not so obvious to you.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
loaded question anyone? is this about coming up with some stumping question he can't answer or to actually help TS? you are not helping TS with such empty observations and questions.

so far jhackey has given the most informed answer and has received nothing but grief over it, this seems obvious to me, not so obvious to you.

I guess people just hear what they want to. As I have stated before, I didn't have problem with the advice he gave. It was good advice. My problem was with him being a dick, which was pointed out by someone else as well.

He criticized my suggestion to the TC, and I took a second for rebuttal. Advice is always appreciated by me, but seriously, your head needs to come out of your @s$
Last edited by patriotplayer90 at Sep 22, 2010,
Quote by patriotplayer90
I guess people just hear what they want to. As I have stated before, I didn't have problem with the advice he gave. It was good advice. My problem was with him being a dick, which was pointed out by someone else as well.

He criticized my suggestion to the TC, and I took a second for rebuttal. Advice is always appreciated by me, but seriously, your head needs to come out of your @s$

thats more like it. start insulting me. now we're making progress. if you don't like rudeness, then don't post on here.

do we have to cover everything with frosting for you guys in order for you to swallow it? there is nothing about this forum that is nice and friendly anymore, cuz frankly we have to deal with people like you.

i saw no rudeness in hackey's first post, shouldn't the pertinent question be "why did he get riled up all of a sudden?" much easier to project our frustrations onto others rather than realize you're all bent out of shape about unimportant aspects.

what else do i need to do besides:

but seriously, your head needs to come out of your @s$

i'd advise you to come up with better advice if you don't want to get criticized. i'd also find less useful people to pick on besides jhackey if you don't wanna see people like me come out the wood work to post garbage like this.

edit: btw, i usually avoid 'can i get this tone from my equipment' threads because they are quite useless. min pointed this atrocity of a thread out to me cuz of the unbelievable circumstances and shenanigans playing out.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 22, 2010,
Quote by gumbilicious
thats more like it. start insulting me. now we're making progress. if you don't like rudeness, then don't post on here.

do we have to cover everything with frosting for you guys in order for you to swallow it? there is nothing about this forum that is nice and friendly anymore, cuz frankly we have to deal with people like you.

i saw no rudeness in hackey's first post, shouldn't the pertinent question be "why did he get riled up all of a sudden?" much easier to project our frustrations onto others rather than realize you're all bent out of shape about unimportant aspects.

what else do i need to do besides:

i'd advise you to come up with better advice if you don't want to get criticized. i'd also find less useful people to pick on besides jhackey if you don't wanna see people like me come out the wood work to post garbage like this.

edit: btw, i usually avoid 'can i get this tone from my equipment' threads because they are quite useless. min pointed this atrocity of a thread out to me cuz of the unbelievable circumstances and shenanigans playing out.

I have been on this forum for 3 years. But I guess I represent all that is wrong with these forums just because I pointed out that a "well-respected" member was being a jerk, when in fact he was being a jerk.
Quote by patriotplayer90

Explain that to me

Please point me to a recording where Neal is using the Satchurator.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by patriotplayer90
I have been on this forum for 3 years. But I guess I represent all that is wrong with these forums just because I pointed out that a "well-respected" member was being a jerk, when in fact he was being a jerk.

i didn't say that, you could be the most knowledgeable person on this forum, you just can't tell from your posts.

and i read jhackey's post... you should thicken you skin quite a bit.

i don't care if jhackey's a jerk, maybe you shouldn't either. but to tell truth, i have NEVER seen him post like that before; and it wasn't that bad at all. not nearly as bad as calling people the names you have called them or telling me to do what you told me to do.

-ae
This thread has gone nowhere.

Note that the original question was "Can I get there from here, or do I need to buy stuff?"

"Buy stuff" is the correct answer.