I am looking for a new guitar as my wife feels that if I am going to play seriously I need a good guitar. There is one flaw in this wonderful logic and that is branding. Her and I listen to vastly different types of music where she listens to classic rock and acoustic guitar stuff, I listen to black metal and other genres around that. I have been looking at several more metal brands of guitars for the features that I'd prefer to have in a guitar.

I have been looking at different Ibanez, Dean, BC Rich, and ESP models and so far there are two Ibanez models in the closing list (ICT 700, RGA42FM) but I am also looking at other brands still just giving everyone a fair shake. I have been going to stores all over the place and testing guitars left and right (used and new). I know what features I am looking for/needing in a new instrument. I know the fret count, pickup setup, and other features I need, and know play before you buy (which I've been doing a lot and enjoying it).

I am just wondering aside from the wonderful reviews on this site is there any information I should look up or into before a purchase? Is there any brand that just universally abhorred and should be avoided at all costs? As a final point please do not suggest Schecter Guitars. I know they are well made but I do not like them due to weight and weight distribution issues. I once owned a Revenger 7 that just turned me off from the brand (it was wonderful but the weight just became an issue time and time again).

My basic requirements (just in case)
24 Frets
No tremolo bar (I don't like how the bridge sits on them)
Humbuckers (kind of obvious)
Thinner neck (doesn't have to be ibanez thin but not gibson thick)

These are my basics. There are some things I realise I am going to have to compromise on (tail piece v. string through) among other things, I am just trying to get something decent for around under 1000, but I am looking at 800-850 around average (just how the pricing works) Any other suggestions?
Last edited by kharn_tb at Sep 21, 2010,
If you can find it, the ESP LTD MH-1000 with passive pickups and TOM bridge is like $800 or less. I find the neck to be beautiful on them. (It's the ESP Thin U neck)

What amp are you currently running through?

Also, passive or active pickups?
What amp are you using? - that'll make a much bigger difference to your overall sound. Put through the right amps a tele can growl like a beast while explorer can chime like a sing like a bird. (put another way, gibson explorers are used by U2 and metallica, but sound vastly different)
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I am looking for passive pick up but the RGA42FM has actives I believe. I am running through a horrid practice amp right now and working up to a better amp after I get a guitar that is better. I'd rather have the better axe and play unplugged for a few months then have a good amp and a beginner guitar. I currently have a squier and epiphone, tele and les paul (lower end models about 150 each). I'm just looking for something a little nicer and that will be a present when I get a new job. Also I think my wife wants to use this so she can get a martin in a year or so
As a multiple guitar owner, I'll say 2 things:

1) I own 2 Deans, and the mid- to high-end Dean electrics are pretty good. I own a Time Capsule Cadillac, and love it. I would definitely consider another Dean- though I have other guitars in line ahead of one (for now)- but I think I'd actively stay away from the "pointy" guitars. They're hot right now, especially in the metal community, and basic economics means you're not going to get a good price on one. Check out some of their other models, and you'll probably find equivalently equipped guitars for less money.

2) I don't own any Carvins, but I know a lot of people who do, and they swear by them. Enough to convince me that I need to get one or 2. They seem to offer a lot for the price in terms of both features and quality.

Just to give you an idea of what they're about, here's a link to the solidbody electrics they have in stock: http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/group.php?cid=SB&dir=R
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Interesting, I have a dean bass that I enjoy. It is an entry level model it was around 100. Pretty good for the money put in. I have been looking at them and testing them as well. I don't care if it is pointy or not, and while aesthetics are important I'm not as much of a fan of les paul style bodies and prefer the look of a strat shape or a more metal looking guitar. Getting a V, Z, X, or M (general for explorer shapes) doesn't bother me I'd just prefer a dark color scheme in general. I just am wondering what to avoid brand wise, and what options I should explore or if there are features I should think of first.
are you saying that both you and your wife will be using this guitar for the next year and both have different tastes in music?

and if so, were you just adding that fact, or really considering getting a guitar that can provide both of you your desired tones, provided they are played through the right amp?

or is this your guitar, that she will be using for a while and the acoustic side doesn't matter much anyway?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I can personally vouch for the RGA42FM. I own one myself, and in my opinion I love how it plays, and how it sounds. Thats through both a 150watt Kustom tube amp, and even a smaller Line 6 modelling amp.
The actives really do sound good, with good bite on the bridge one, and warmer tones through the neck.
I play a variety of stuff, from pop punk, youmeatsix-esque riffs, through to songs from A Day To Remember, Avenged Sevenfold etc, and Guns n Roses. It surprisingly performs well in every area I've tried it on, so would definately recommend it.

Whatever you get, even straight out of the box, get it set up by a luthier. You won't regret that move!
This would be mine and mine alone. She has a really nice ovation that I don't touch and she isn't much of an electric person. If she got an electric it would be a Fender Strat, and I'm not much of an acoustic fan. I had a cheapo one for a while but I'm more of an electric person (it has to do with arm length and everything like that).

Although we both play (she's actually teaching me) and we do play at the same time but we frequently practice different things. I'm usually doing something practicing like scales (and attempting chords) while she is doing something more classical or older rock. We do play together we just don't play the same thing.
You should awlays buy a good amp before a guitar! You might find you dont need a new guitar once you actually hear it through a worthy amp.
What guitar are you playing now?
What amp?
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Sep 22, 2010,
Quote by kharn_tb
This would be mine and mine alone. She has a really nice ovation that I don't touch and she isn't much of an electric person. If she got an electric it would be a Fender Strat, and I'm not much of an acoustic fan. I had a cheapo one for a while but I'm more of an electric person (it has to do with arm length and everything like that).

Although we both play (she's actually teaching me) and we do play at the same time but we frequently practice different things. I'm usually doing something practicing like scales (and attempting chords) while she is doing something more classical or older rock. We do play together we just don't play the same thing.

gotcha, i was just confused a little by your OP.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
We do play together we just don't play the same thing.
lol what
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
We do play together we just don't play the same thing.

lol what

We play at the same time but she might be trying to play Jason Mraz/Eric Clapton, I might be doing some scale practices and some old Darkthrone.

As for my rig, right now its either an Epiphone Les Paul Special II/Squier Affinity Tele either run through a basic fender practice amp.

Sorry for the confusion but I was looking at getting a Dean Vendetta 7 sting for 200 and she said if I'm going to get something to get something higher in price and better.
Quote by kharn_tb
lol what

We play at the same time but she might be trying to play Jason Mraz/Eric Clapton, I might be doing some scale practices and some old Darkthrone.

As for my rig, right now its either an Epiphone Les Paul Special II/Squier Affinity Tele either run through a basic fender practice amp.

Sorry for the confusion but I was looking at getting a Dean Vendetta 7 sting for 200 and she said if I'm going to get something to get something higher in price and better.

Yea lol i was just messing with you, id stay away from a 200 dollar 7 string too.
Id look at the ibanez rg7321(399.00) or the new ibanez rga 7 string has actives(499.00)
Ive played both and owned the 7321 for a few years i wish i still had it played amazingly well. My next guitar is going to be the rga 7 string as it is a metal beast!
And i still think you should think about a good amp first lol
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Sep 22, 2010,
I would only get a new amp if I was really really really pissed with my tone.

If I'm not playing a guitar I truly enjoy and it doesn't feel right to me, I have trouble practising for long periods of time.

If you're looking at 7 strings I've seen people raving nutsauce about Agile 7s. They're cheap and supposedly they're incredible.

Personally, I think the Jeff Loomis Schecter sig is awesome though, one of the few Schecters I actually like. (If you don't mind spending the whole $1000)
Actually I was planning on sticking with a six string. I was looking at one particular model for the 7 and it isn't made for normal sale/distribution. I decided to stay with a 6 string until I get better and the only advantage I had found from my old 7 was I could pop between b and e tunings almost instantly. I'd rather learn to play a lot better before I get another 7. I agree that I have to have a nicer guitar to practice on, and I don't usually plug in unless I need distortion (and a ton of it).

The 7 I was looking at was the ESP/LTD Hex 7 which isn't made for public sale. I do like to practice a lot and need to do so more, but I'm looking for something to make practice better.