Hey, I've been thinking of upgrading from my current Epi G-400, but I'm having some issues deciding.

I wanted at one point a guitar with a trem but I sort of figured that it'd be too much of a pain, so I scratched that. Now I'm looking for a guitar that's best at home in 80's thrash metal, and some early hard rock.

What I want:
-Hard-Tail
-Passive Humbuckers (Hate the cleans on actives, and the tone's a bit too aggressive for my style), coil split if possible but not really a requirement
-22 frets with good upper access (les pauls aren't exactly ideal for megadeth solos)
-Decent looking (self-admitted ***** for visuals here, I mean I don't care for extravagant finishes but a flamed maple cap or nice inlays are always a plus if it doesn't make the price too much)
-Price range: Under $1000 CAD (about $975 USD)

I've toyed around with LTD a bit- pretty much seems that the EC and the MH-1000 NT could be good (I think their viper is ugly as sin). Sadly, the EC doesn't have great upper fret access, and the MH-1000 NT is apparently fairly hard to find, they don't make many.

Ibanez- they have a wide range of guitars with passive pickups, but most of them have trems.

Jackson- overpriced, and the good ones in my price range all have trems.

Schecter- Mostly active pickups, except the C-1 which are their lower-end ones, I believe.

The other companies I can't see much that fits my requests, so I didn't mention those, but feel free to suggest others.
Last edited by Insaneguy75 at Sep 21, 2010,
Schecter make a passive C1 called the Classic that might be suited to your needs.

A PRS SE Singlecut Hardtail might also work for you.
Gibson ES-137C
Parker P8EN
AC Custom Special P Bass
Whereabouts in Canada are you?

At a place like Steve's I think you can actually get the MH-1000NT ordered.

In terms of ordering I'm pretty sure you could get one of these at an Ibanez dealer.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page10.php?area_id=2&data_id=393&color=CL01&year=2010&cat_id=1&series_id=361

I'm assuming that's within your budget, I don't actually know what they cost.

What amp are you playing through?
I'm playing through a peavey vypyr 30, I know that different pickups won't get a large tonal difference in a solid state combo amp but I'm upgrading because my G-400 really doesn't have good construction.

Yeah I just edited the C-1 into my original post, thought that the passive C-1 was largely their lower-end ones and that they put actives into their higher end C-1's.

E: Huh. That looks really nice, I'll have to see if any local stores have them (Calgary, btw). How well made are schecters, typically?
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Last edited by primusclaypool1 at Sep 21, 2010,
Says the C-1 classic is discontinued on that link.

Also from what I see on local guitar store's websites, no one has C-1 customs.

Unless I can get it locally, which sucks because there's 2 guitar stores in calgary that sell schecters, you may as well tag on $200 for shipping and handling,
Quote by Insaneguy75
I'm playing through a peavey vypyr 30, I know that different pickups won't get a large tonal difference in a solid state combo amp but I'm upgrading because my G-400 really doesn't have good construction.

Yeah I just edited the C-1 into my original post, thought that the passive C-1 was largely their lower-end ones and that they put actives into their higher end C-1's.

E: Huh. That looks really nice, I'll have to see if any local stores have them (Calgary, btw). How well made are schecters, typically?

Believe me, you've heard wrong. It's typical tube elitism. I'd look into LTD and Schecter, maybe a used ESP in that range.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
There are like, three decent models of LTD that have passive pickups, I've eliminated one (EC) because of the upper fret access, one (MH-1000 NT) because I have no idea where I'd get one since they're apparently discontinued, and one (viper) because they're ugly guitars and I already have an SG-style guitar, albeit a subpar one.

Schecter C-1 custom is looking pretty good right now but I can't find it on any local store's websites, I'm going to one store tomorrow with my dad to look at a new acoustic for us so I'll take a look then but chances are it's a no.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

I could swear to god Jackson made a string through RR3. If not, get a used RR5. I know for a fact they have some of those with no trem
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by OliOsbourne

I like this suggestion.

Also look into the new Fender Blacktop series, they're all HH layouts, 22 frets, and really good things have been reported back on them. They retail at $450 too, so you'll have plenty left for a pickup swap if you don't like the stock ones.

And yeah, different pickups sound different through solid state amps, even modelling amps. Just shows how bullshit spreads like a virus.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Insaneguy75

they're built well, i love my Hellraiser FR and the one i showed you has similar features like the set-neck with ultra access heel and stuff, the difference is the SDs and the bridge
gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Ibanez RG
Peavey Nitro
Takamine EG-351SSC
Bugera 333xl 212

My Music:
MySpace
Facebook
add me!
So, went to my local store today. No C-1 customs, no Tempests.

Anyways I saw a few PRS's which looked pretty good, and I'll look into fender blacktops sometime as well, I suppose.
Last edited by Insaneguy75 at Sep 23, 2010,
ummm jackson dk2t?
http://www.aurel-musique.com/images/images_produits/jackson_dk2t.pngdxidl.jpg
it's got 24 frets (if you dont mind), perfect neck, seymour duncan jb/jazz pickups, alder body
comes in like 50 finishes, and it's 600e in serbia(which means it's a loooot cheaper elsewhere)
i've tried it, and it really does sound awesome
MY GEAR:
Digitech RP250
Stagg Acoustic
Ibanez RGA32 (EMG 81/85)
amp doesn't matter :P
2nd hand PRS CE22?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-KH202-Kirk-Hammett-Signature-Series-Electric-Guitar?sku=542073

not quite sure if the stock pups are passives are not, I would think so, and it would hilarious and awesome to do Megadeth solo's on it I would just to piss people off
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?