My low E string buzzes on the 1-5 frets and also it buzzes when played open, my A string buzzes on the 1-3 string. The guitar is an Ibanez RG120 and I had it shipped to my house (that could be the problem :p) and it happened literally right out of the box as soon as I plucked the string for the first time. Do I need to adjust the truss rod or get the string replaced or what?
Thanks!
Sounds likes a truss rod adjustment. Take a look at it from the side and down the neck (looking from the tuners down to the bridge.) What you are looking for is a "bow" either upward or downward. If it is the truss rod and it's buzzing on the first few frets then it probably has a back bow causing the strings to sit to close to the frets. With a upward bow the strings sit high on the frets. If you got it straight out of the box you need a setup, setting the radius, intonation, truss rod, check all of the fret heights. Better to catch any flaws while it's new so you can replace it than to find out a year or so later. A GOOD setup should run around $50-75

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by JohnnyNash
Sounds likes a truss rod adjustment. Take a look at it from the side and down the neck (looking from the tuners down to the bridge.) What you are looking for is a "bow" either upward or downward. If it is the truss rod and it's buzzing on the first few frets then it probably has a back bow causing the strings to sit to close to the frets. With a upward bow the strings sit high on the frets. If you got it straight out of the box you need a setup, setting the radius, intonation, truss rod, check all of the fret heights. Better to catch any flaws while it's new so you can replace it than to find out a year or so later. A GOOD setup should run around $50-75

I dont notice a back bow by eye but should I go ahead and adjust the truss rod and which way do I turn it?
If your not careful you could break the rod. To pull the neck back you need to go clockwise to release the tension counterclockwise. If you have too much bow then you need to release the tension so counterclockwise. (Left) I honestly would get a good setup for it though instead of trying to do it yourself. It is well worth the money.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Quote by TheNaZgul
My low E string buzzes on the 1-5 frets and also it buzzes when played open, my A string buzzes on the 1-3 string. The guitar is an Ibanez RG120 and I had it shipped to my house (that could be the problem :p) and it happened literally right out of the box as soon as I plucked the string for the first time. Do I need to adjust the truss rod or get the string replaced or what?
Thanks!

to know how to, how much to adjust...

1. fret the first fret and the last fret on the low E.
the last fret in this case is the fret where the neck and body meet.

2. with both places held, look at the middle frets 7-9th.

3. if the string lays on those frets, then you have backbow.

if you have back bow, then it is safe to turn the truss rod
Counter Clockwise 1/4 turn.
that's a very small amount to turn.
DO NOT force the turn.
and let the guitar settle in tune after.

measure again later, and post back for more directions.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 22, 2010,
There is a TINY space between the 7th fret and its laying on the 9th, im guessing I have a small amount of back bow so can I adjust it and should I do maybe a 1/8th turn?
to me this could be a truss rod issue or an action issue. depends on the buzz your getting. if you don't know what your doing dont touch anything. go to a shop and get a guitar tech to show you how to fix it. they will be able to more understand what is going on then someone on the internet.
A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence.