What is the difference between the original Wizard necks and the Wizard II guitar necks?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Standard "Original" Wizard neck was:
Scale 648mm/25.5"
Width at Nut 43mm
Width at Last Fret 57mm
Thickness at 1st 17mm
Thickness at 12th 20mm
Radius 430mm

Prestige neck is:
Scale 648mm/25.5"
a : Width at Nut 43mm
b : Width at Last Fret 58mm
c: Thickness at 1st 18mm
d : Thickness at 12th 20mm
Radius 430mm

Wizard II neck is:
Scale 648mm/25.5"
a : Width at Nut 43mm
b : Width at Last Fret 56mm
c: Thickness at 1st 19mm
d : Thickness at 12th 21mm
Radius 400mm
Whaaaat!!!!!!
The only real difference I notice between the two (and I do own both) is the thickness. They're by-and-far the same shape, but the original Wizard is noticeably thinner.

Ninja Edit: When I saw the original Wizard is noticeably thinner, I don't meant to imply that the Wizard II is chunky or something. It's still flatter than the neck on my strat.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Last edited by ch0 at Sep 22, 2010,
Looks like from the specs that cob666 posted, the Wizard II is only about 1 mm thicker.

I've never compared two necks that are mms apart, but is 1 mm that much of a difference?
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
The Wizard II neck feels much thicker then an original Wizard neck.
Its definitely not as fast.

Also, the new Prestige Wizard neck (replacement for Wizard I) are a bit thicker then the original Wizard necks.

The good news is that the original Wizard necks can be found on ebay and seem to swap out well. Especially if they are an AANJ neck.

Out of the three, the original Wizard neck is by far the greatest. I just sold an Ibanez with a Wizard II neck. But I have kept my two Ibanez that have a Prestige & Wizard I.

My best suggestion is to buy a used Ibanez. The quality of their older guitars (Especially their RG 520/550/570 series) are much higher then some of their newer models.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by GoIrish668
Looks like from the specs that cob666 posted, the Wizard II is only about 1 mm thicker.

I've never compared two necks that are mms apart, but is 1 mm that much of a difference?

I haven't looked at the measurements, but there is absolutely no way you could fool yourself into thinking you're playing a Wizard I. They feel completely different.

Wizard I necks are what got me into first playing Ibanez. The original RG5XX series were basically a clone of the $2000 Ibanez Jems (but for 1/4 the price). Naturally Ibanez got rid of that series and then changed the Wizard I neck and called it the Prestige.
Now, the necks that they put on their higher end guitars (Like the JEM) are basically clones of the Wizard I necks.

Fastest neck I have ever played on. I would stick with the original Wizard neck.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100