hey guys im in a band that covers a lot of blink 182 so i am going to buy a strat. i have always liked the feel of strats over hollowbodies and am debating between sss or hss.
no, i dont want the tom delonge sig because i want to use the strat for other things like single coil cleans. i know its recommended to have a humbucker but will sss still sound good or will it sound hollow and less bassy.
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
I prefer sss cause they usually have the best single coils (USA standard sss has Alnico V's and the hss has texas specials). You can always put a humbucker in later, but you'll still have the alnico v's in the neck middle.
Quote by guitardedhero
I prefer sss cause they usually have the best single coils (USA standard sss has Alnico V's and the hss has texas specials). You can always put a humbucker in later, but you'll still have the alnico v's in the neck middle.

i would be getting a mexican strat...would it be stupid to put a stacked single coil in later
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
you can try contacting the band's management to see what equipment they use. im not sure if management's do that anymore but you can give it a shot.
Quote by Karpet King
i would be getting a mexican strat...would it be stupid to put a stacked single coil in later

For Blink, go with a humbucker. And you can ask at the store whether the strat is pre-routed for humbuckers. Don't know about Fenders, but most strats are.

And a stacked single coil doesn't sound the same as a humbucker; it's an in-betweener.
if u r in a Blink band you will prolly want a HSS. Chances are that you are gonna wanna swap whatever pickup comes with it so why not make your life easier and get strat already made for a humbucker. if you ever decide to change it, Mexican strat bodies have the same routing for their HSS and SSS models so it's not hard to either coil tap a humbucker or just buy an SSS pickguard.
The Invader gets a lot of mudslinging around here but I hate metal and I still love that pickup. I am running the stock strat electronics (250k pots) and that is enough to tame the pickup's aggressivness but still stay bright, like a strat should, but still be able to perfectly emulate Blink's sound with a high gain amp.
Last edited by jdrier21 at Sep 21, 2010,
yeah, he used a fender strat with a single bridge humbucker for a while, you should be ok with something like a jcm 800 pushed hard with a high output pickup
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
Quote by primusclaypool1
yeah, he used a fender strat with a single bridge humbucker for a while, you should be ok with something like a jcm 800 pushed hard with a high output pickup

ya. for my Blink covers, i just use a simple Marshall MG100HDFX with the gain only at 8, still a lot of headroom. the pickup really gives a nice crunch at that level
you want nice crunchy tone, but nothing super distorted, so dont go out and get like a 6505 or something like that though
Quote by BobDetroit
It's all about the abalone. You can't play metal without it. Mother of pearl? MOTO? GTFO!
i use a valveking with the gain on about 7 with boost
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by Karpet King

The mexican sss and hss strats use the same single coils, so I'd go with the hss out of those two for your requests, however, I'd still go with a used usa strat sss if you can bump your budget $100-$200. The differnce in feel and electronics is so worth it imo.
Quote by Karpet King
i use a valveking with the gain on about 7 with boost

roll the gain back to like 6, and dial in some mids. that should be nice and crunchy
Quote by BobDetroit
Cutting off your hands would be a great start to sounding like Blink.
:P

Nah seriously though, SSS would not be a wise choice, you'll want a humbucker for a fatter sound. Tom uses a Seymour Duncan Invader, so you could buy one of them second hand and get it put in a Strat. That'd be the easiest way. Also, a decent, high gain tube amp.
Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by primusclaypool1
you want nice crunchy tone, but nothing super distorted, so dont go out and get like a 6505 or something like that though

Thats funny lol. I just played a Blink cover set in my area. I HAD to use a 6505 cause thats what the other band's guitarist had and he said I could use his instead of hauling mine out. It worked out fine, but I had to dial the gain back to like...4 or 5 lol.

Just so your actually aware, Tom didnt record with his Strat at all. It was all usually done on a Tele or Les Paul. He also uses a blend of Marshall JCM 800s and Boogie Double Recs for his distortion. For cleans he use to use Vox AC30s. Now he uses Fender Twin Reverbs.

For playing live you don't need to have the strat but a Tele with a Hotrails in the bridge would do you well.

As for amps I would actually recommend the Fender Supersonic. It has the cleans you'll need and has an amazing overdrive that would suit you very well. It also takes pedals really well if you want to go that way.

Best part is this entire rig would cost you no more then about $1350 Canadian.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.