Hey, so I've been looking around on Youtube and stuff and everyone using a 6505 only has the presence at like 1/2 - 3/4. From my experience I would say the presence control has alot of control over your tone. I like what my amp sounds like, although an OD would do alot of good (when I get some cashflow) but noone else has thier EQ like me. I've looked and asked famous guitar players what they use for settings and they all had their presence at 1/2 to 3/4. My settings (of course the lead channel, duh!) are:

Lows: 9
Mids: 4
Highs: 7
Resonance: 8
Presence: full

tl;dr
Are my settings gross?
I'd give it more mids maybe a bit less high and less presence
I leik music
the thing about presence is that it is very harsh on the ears. I usually have my presence between 7:00-10:00 on my Triple Rectifier, but I like a dark tone. It's really preference, but be careful with it because it can really be sharp on peoples's ears and they'll say you have horrible tone
http://www.myspace.com/takethekey

PRS Singlecut w/ Tremonti Treble/Bass
Taylor 614ce

Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412B

"Mark Tremonti is what Willis was talking about..."
I find that presence helps the guitar to cut through the mix and gives it some sparkle... BUT, if you have too much presence it'll start to add a high pitched hiss to your tone which you definitely do not want. I usually base my presence on the amp I'm using. For Dual Rectifiers I need it quite high because I like bite more than growl - about 3 o'clock (which is probably the most I'd ever use). For an SLO-100, I have it about 1 o'clock because it's not such a thick sounding tone, and for JCM-800s I have far less presence because it's quite a bright amp to start with - say 11 o'clock.

Just listen critically to your high end when adjusting both presence and treble; you most definitely don't want hissing high pitched fuzz being part of your distorted sound, even if you play thrash metal!
Quote by mrb1946
the thing about presence is that it is very harsh on the ears. I usually have my presence between 7:00-10:00 on my Triple Rectifier, but I like a dark tone. It's really preference, but be careful with it because it can really be sharp on peoples's ears and they'll say you have horrible tone

This is what I was asking. Thank you. This makes total sense cause when I have it at bedroom volumes the tone is suuuuuper killer. When I crank it up a bit at band it is kind of rough on the ears. I like my tone this way but was just wondering why most other people didn't.
It's because at bedroom levels, you appear to need more treble to keep your tone sounding the way it does. When you turn it up, we perceive certain frequencies as being louder (or maybe they actually ARE emphasized a bit more...I'm not sure), and the treble becomes a lot more prominent.

I played a 6505+ halfstack and had the presence on about 6, bass at 6, mids at 5 and treble at about 7, master volume at about 1. Nice tone, but I only played around for a few minutes.
Amps
Randall RG50TC, Roland Cube 15x

Guitar
LTD MH-100QM, Washburn X12

Effects and Etc.
Ibanez Weeping Demon, Boss FV-500H, Ibanez TS7, Ibanez PH7, dbx 31-band EQ, ISP Decimator