So 2 days ago, I made a thread about which book I should read for my grade 12 ISP. 1984 won by a landslide. I was just wondering if it would be possible to relate the book to the Pink Floyd album The Wall. I mean, I've listened to the Wall..but I've never sat down and really "listened" to the Wall.

The comparison essay is about theme. Is there any correlation?

If not, are there ANY books that relate to the Wall..or just any albums that relate to a book in general.

EDIT - 1984 by George Orwell...not the van halen album
Ibanez RGA 121
Yahama Pacifica -- painted purple and blue
2000 American Standard Strat
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
MXR Phase 90 with R28 switchable mod
USA Big Muff
Last edited by Gu1tar_guy1010 at Sep 21, 2010,
You should have done Animal Farm and Animals by Pink Floyd, n00b. Anyhow.. I dunno, I don't listen to the Wall.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Quote by Gu1tar_guy1010
are there ANY books that relate to the Wall

SGT. HARTMAN: Where in hell are you from anyway, Private?
COWBOY: Sir, Texas, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!! Do you suck dicks!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Are you a peter-puffer!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!!
Quote by Jack Off Jill
You should have done Animal Farm and Animals by Pink Floyd, n00b. Anyhow.. I dunno, I don't listen to the Wall.

..nothing's finalized yet
Ibanez RGA 121
Yahama Pacifica -- painted purple and blue
2000 American Standard Strat
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive
MXR Phase 90 with R28 switchable mod
USA Big Muff
Quote by Jack Off Jill

This. Animal Farm > 1984 anyway.
I suppose one could draw comparisons between the oppression the main characters from both suffer from, but The Wall was more about the psychological suffering that the oppression caused. I'd recommend a different album, but I can't think of any. Does it have to be an album you compare it to or just any form of media?
Quote by Gu1tar_guy1010
..nothing's finalized yet

Well then do Animal Farm and Animals.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Mother, should I trust the government?

You should be able to relate it I think, you just gotta sit down with it and take some time
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Quote by Jack Off Jill

This. Animal Farm and Animals, brah.

I don't think 1984 and The Wall have much in common at all.
Quote by TomusAM
I don't know if they relate, I mean Van Halen and Pink Floyd are pretty different.

People are not giving this joke enough credit. I l'dol.
Quote by vintage x metal

There is an album of 1984 by Rick Wakeman. Or does it have to be something that isn't related to 1984 except in theme? Off the top of my head, I could only think of the 2112 suite by Rush. That has similar themes.
Quote by TomusAM
I don't know if they relate, I mean Van Halen and Pink Floyd are pretty different.

Exactly. Hot for Teacher is an intricate look at the crushing conformity of school, but Another Brick in the Wall is just some loud horny shred fest.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
You could, I suppose, though it's always a better idea to expose yourself to the works first and see which ones parallel best rather than trying to shoehorn them into working.

Still, "relate two works" isn't exactly a tall order, so I'm sure it can be done. I'd point out the elements of agency and the consent, implied and coerced, inherent in Big Brother, since those show up in the form of drug use and the narrator's self-imposed wall.

I'd think more about what you want to write, though. 1984 is pretty oblique, there's not a lot of things that you're going to be able to say about it that aren't obvious already, since Orwell was so very heavy-handed in his writing. It's also very dangerous to use albums in relation to literary works, since albums generally aren't coherent in the way literature tends to be. You'd also want to think about what it would mean to compare the two, since The Wall is almost certainly not informed by 1984 in any way, and doesn't likely have anything to do with it, so the best you could hope for would be some coincidental similarities.

Anyway, those are my two cents. I don't see any redeeming academic value to what you've suggested, but perhaps I'm missing something, or you're just trying to write a paper on things you enjoy, which is fine too.
Actually, if you pick apart a lot of the lyrics, I think you'll see some comparisons. Not a lot, since The Wall was about Roger Waters' life and his relationship with his father and how he couldn't stand playing to larger crowds. But sure, there are some songs that can be compared to 1984 conceptually.
Using the Wall would be a pretty big stretch to try make it actually relevent to much anything. Skip Orwell all together and do Aldeus Huxley's Brave New World, and chose the song Brave New World by Iron Maiden. Floyd is for old ass acid dropers and Orwell is overrated.
OR you could be a little creative and do something like Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" with a song like Tool's Vicarious. For a second book for comparison Nineteen-Eightyfour or brave new world would work great with Atlas Shrugged. I think It would be good to pick a relativley unheard of collection of media for this essay of your'se; Being original (almost) never hurts.
-JBSwreckfest
Last edited by jbswreckfest at Sep 21, 2010,