I went to GC and after being talked out of a DS-1 by an employee, I picked up a BBE AM64 Distortion pedal. It sounded pretty good when the employee set it up but I can't get that sound now. It sounds kind of weak and lacks gain. I'm running it through a Vypyr(I know, I know) like the one at the store, on a clean channel. I'm just not sure what the EQ should be on the amp and what the settings do on the pedal. It has a Level, Tone, and Gain knob. Any help here?
Gear:
Jackson DXMG
Schecter 006 Deluxe
BC Rich Revenge Warlock
Jasmine Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Turn everything on the EQs down to zero. Then go through each knob/slider one by one and see what sounds it covers.
what you are not doing is running a bit of gain on the amp. Use the "plexi" setting and put all the EQ settings to "12 o'clock" and add the amp's gain to 12 o'clock as well. then, activate the pedal with ALL knobs at 12 o'clock. How does that sound? if you want more gain, just turn the gain setting on the amp all the way up, first. then if you still want more, turn the gain all the way up on your pedal. Then, if you still want more, try using the RECT setting or the XXX setting.
i personally would turn the amps gain down, and put everything on the pedal to 12oclock.

tweak from there to taste.

having the amps distortion on will sound odd under another distortion.
mojostompboxes.com
Try to get as dry of a sound as possible with the amp and experiment with the pedals EQ and Gain
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by spacec0wboy
I went to GC and after being talked out of a DS-1 by an employee, I picked up a BBE AM64 Distortion pedal. It sounded pretty good when the employee set it up but I can't get that sound now. It sounds kind of weak and lacks gain. I'm running it through a Vypyr(I know, I know) like the one at the store, on a clean channel. I'm just not sure what the EQ should be on the amp and what the settings do on the pedal. It has a Level, Tone, and Gain knob. Any help here?

wow, that one doesn't come with a manual.

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/_support/om.cfm?ln=en&dsp=0&iCncd=294&iStcd=4

here is a boss ds-1 manual, i know it's not the same pedal, but the concepts are the same. it gives some great starting points for how to use it, how much gain, where to EQ what amp setting etc.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 22, 2010,
Quote by pwrmax
Turn everything on the EQs down to zero. Then go through each knob/slider one by one and see what sounds it covers.

this.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com