So what's the story with those tiny little 2 or 3 watt amps? I thought they were so cool, and that they would be handy as hell. But I played an Orange one and a Fender one today and they sounded crap. I don't know what I was expecting... but what do you guys think? Does anyone have one? Want one? What brands can you get them in?
I would avoid them. Sure it's cool to walk around the house or town and being able to play your guitar with a bit of volume and distortion, but it's more of a gimmick if you ask me...

If you had to get one though, the Vox one is the best imo
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I just picked up a Bugera V5 yesterday for my dorm room, and it sounds great. I have no issues with it. It is probably the best bang for the buck, too. I mean they sure don't compare to a full size amp, but for my purpose, it fits well and sounds good.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by Rogue Hermit
I just picked up a Bugera V5 yesterday for my dorm room, and it sounds great. I have no issues with it. It is probably the best bang for the buck, too. I mean they sure don't compare to a full size amp, but for my purpose, it fits well and sounds good.

A 5 watt amp is much different from what we are talking about.

Were basically talking about an amp with like a 3 inch speaker, volume, and tone knob.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Well I never take my amp out - I just use it in my room and no one hears it but me. I can't even say I use it all that often, I'm more of an acoustic person now. But would it be worth getting one, do you reckon?
Quote by Guitarbaddie
A 5 watt amp is much different from what we are talking about.

Were basically talking about an amp with like a 3 inch speaker, volume, and tone knob.

To be fair, TS never specified 3 inch speakers. If 5 watts is too much, the V5 has an attenuator switching down to 1 and .1 watts. Just saying that it is a decent sounding "small" amp.
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5
the small tube amps are good imo but the portable ones are not my favorite i have one from danelectro and it sounds alrigth but i had to mod it a bit
Quote by Rogue Hermit
To be fair, TS never specified 3 inch speakers. If 5 watts is too much, the V5 has an attenuator switching down to 1 and .1 watts. Just saying that it is a decent sounding "small" amp.

How would you compare it to a 15W Line 6 Spider?
Quote by fcukyoufirefly
How would you compare it to a 15W Line 6 Spider?

Never played a Spider to be honest. But the V5 is a Class A tube amp, and I love the sound of tube amps. It only has gain, master volume, tone, and reverb knobs though, so it has no built in effects. But it fits my playing style (blues) very well.
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Bugera V-5