I had a gig last night in my town.

Halfway through the gig, my guitar became mute and there was no sound.

My set-up is Pod XT Live and a Spider III.
Yes i know it's the ultimate tone-suck set up.

I need to know is my amp or my pedal.
I am just wondering is there any possibility that it's my pedal that's faulty?

Only after i switch it off and on, than it'll work again. (Can we safely rule the amp out because of this?)

Regards
Plug straight into the amp, bypassing the pedal. If it works, the pedal was the problem.
Quote by Roc8995
Plug straight into the amp, bypassing the pedal. If it works, the pedal was the problem.

and vice versa to make sure
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
I had an issue with the line 6 spider III when I had it that it would overheat and shut off. Hence why I got rid of the POS
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Sorry to be typical here and bash on the spider series, but how the heck do you gig with a spider III? I owned one for 2 years and they're not loud enough to be heard over anything at all...
And it sounds like it's your pedal that's causing the problem, try just playing straight through the amp for awhile and see what happens.
Quote by drewfromutah
Did the crowd cheer when it went silent?

Just kidding. My guess it's the Pod that's faulty.

Haha

Guess what? It happened after 5 songs and it was already at the end of our set. And the thing is, this shit happened when i was solo-ing.

Epic fail to the max.

I didn't choose to gig with that shit, it belongs to someone else.

So i can't test the amp as it's longer with me.. But high chance is my pedal right?
There's no way of telling. Spiders break, pedals break. "No sound" isn't exclusive to either one, so we can't diagnose any more than you can. I'd put my money on the spider, since they're more prone to stop working after long periods of time, but again it's not real useful to speculate.

Surely you can test the pedal with headphones or another amp?
Quote by Roc8995
There's no way of telling. Spiders break, pedals break. "No sound" isn't exclusive to either one, so we can't diagnose any more than you can. I'd put my money on the spider, since they're more prone to stop working after long periods of time, but again it's not real useful to speculate.

Surely you can test the pedal with headphones or another amp?

I've been using my pedal extensively ever since then, but it doesn't happen (works perfectly fine)

I am afraid it's a random thing, i can't afford to let it screw my next gig again.
If it hasn't happened since, it's either a fluke or there was a problem with the venue's wiring, or it was related to the gear being on for so long. The POD doesn't really have any heating issues, which is why it was more likely the spider if it was an overheating sort of issue. If you can't replicate it, it's probably not the pedal. When PODs mess up, they tend to brick completely. Amps are more intermittent.
Quote by Roc8995
If it hasn't happened since, it's either a fluke or there was a problem with the venue's wiring, or it was related to the gear being on for so long. The POD doesn't really have any heating issues, which is why it was more likely the spider if it was an overheating sort of issue. If you can't replicate it, it's probably not the pedal. When PODs mess up, they tend to brick completely. Amps are more intermittent.

Thanks for the reply sir, i really appreciate it.

However, if the amp is really the cause, why did it work after i switched off my pod and on it again? Is this possible?
Oh, you cycled the POD? I thought you did both. That certainly points to the POD being the problem, though I've never heard of that issue with it before. I assume all the lights were on as normal and you tried hitting a patch or two before cycling it?
I gig with my 15w spider...then again...I'm usually mic'd
Test everything you used that night, Cables, amp, pedal, guitar, Everything.
My last gig my guitar cut out twice in the middle of two songs and had no idea why. As it turns out, it was the mic they used to mic me up turning away from my amp
troubleshoot. go guitar to amp. if that works it could be your pedal or the other cable. shouldn't be hard to find the problem with a setup like that.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com