I use fender strat and i play jazz.
i wanna use single sized hum on my guitar neck..
i wanna clean and warm sound..
i also wanna use dimarzio pickup.
what is ur best suggestion?
Quote by larilagilaju
I use fender strat and i play jazz.
i wanna use single sized hum on my guitar neck..
i wanna clean and warm sound..
i also wanna use dimarzio pickup.
what is ur best suggestion?

What exactly do you mean by "single sized hum" in the neck position. Do you mean that you want a single coil pickup and want there to be hum when using high gain?

Also...why do you want to use Dimarzios?

What kind of music do you play?

What amp do you use?

What pickup are you replacing and why are you replacing it?
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by Ayses
What exactly do you mean by "single sized hum" in the neck position. Do you mean that you want a single coil pickup and want there to be hum when using high gain?

What amp do you use?

he probably means he has a stacked humbucker in the neck position. im not sure if thats what its called, but its basically a humbucker that fits in a single coil slot http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SHR1-Hot-Rail-Stacked-Single-Coil-Pickup?sku=300300
Seymore Duncan makes great single-sized humbuckers. Look into their models and see which one you like. If you play Jazz and want a clean, warm sound, you need a Tube amp. period. A Roland Jazz chorus is the absolute "be-all, end-all" (IMHO) in that area. check into that amp, you'll love it I'm sure. Now, to really make your sound have soul and substance try using "jazz" specific strings. yes, they actually make strings for Jazz. check those out too.

These are just my honest suggestions. Hell, Even Zakk Wylde uses a Roland Jazz Chorus 2x12 amp for his cleans you can't go wrong with that kind of intel!
Quote by charles_ebarb
Seymore Duncan makes great single-sized humbuckers. Look into their models and see which one you like. If you play Jazz and want a clean, warm sound, you need a Tube amp. period. A Roland Jazz chorus is the absolute "be-all, end-all" (IMHO) in that area. check into that amp, you'll love it I'm sure. Now, to really make your sound have soul and substance try using "jazz" specific strings. yes, they actually make strings for Jazz. check those out too.

These are just my honest suggestions. Hell, Even Zakk Wylde uses a Roland Jazz Chorus 2x12 amp for his cleans you can't go wrong with that kind of intel!

You do realise that the JC120 is one of the industry's most celebrated SOLID STATE amps ever, right?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Stryker125
he probably means he has a stacked humbucker in the neck position. im not sure if thats what its called, but its basically a humbucker that fits in a single coil slot http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SHR1-Hot-Rail-Stacked-Single-Coil-Pickup?sku=300300
Ah...derp. A long day at work will do that to you. Didn't even occur to me he could be talking about a single sized humbucker...
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Quote by Ayses

+1 there is a lot out in the world of pickups other than dimarzio.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Jhachey22
You do realise that the JC120 is one of the industry's most celebrated SOLID STATE amps ever, right?

nope. never seen one before, tbh.

Thanks for pointing that out, though!

I did some research before answering his question. nonetheless, the Roland JC-120 is (as quoted from the reviews) the industry standard.
Quote by charles_ebarb
nope. never seen one before, tbh.

Thanks for pointing that out, though!

I did some research before answering his question. nonetheless, the Roland JC-120 is (as quoted from the reviews) the industry standard.

why would you reccomend something you've never even seen, let alone tried? I know you're trying ot help the TS, but don't suggest something before trying it first.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22

why would you reccomend something you've never even seen, let alone tried? I know you're trying ot help the TS, but don't suggest something before trying it first.

There you go, being a jerk again.

kidding
What amp do you use? I'd stay away from DiMarzio for jazz tones. I really just don't like them at all for that. I'd say get any low output single coil and roll the tone knob back to around 4. That's what I do and it sounds great. No hum either.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Ayses

What amp do you use?

i mean single coil sized..
read carefull, i have state that i play jazz..
why not use dimarzio, it's my guitar and its my right..
Quote by mmolteratx
What amp do you use? I'd stay away from DiMarzio for jazz tones. I really just don't like them at all for that. I'd say get any low output single coil and roll the tone knob back to around 4. That's what I do and it sounds great. No hum either.

i use roland cube.
Quote by larilagilaju
i use roland cube.

Cube should be fine for Jazz, since it's pretty much a Mini JC with a modelling, imo. It does have a JC setting, right?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by larilagilaju
why not use dimarzio, it's my guitar and its my right..

Because there probably are better pickups for the job that aren't Dimarzio.. Now, why do you want Dimarzio so badly.
Quote by Jhachey22

Because I read up on it. Life is not based on us solely going on our own understanding of something. This is a collective effort, dude.

If I told you that the sun is very hot, and let alone the countless other scientists tell you the same thing, would you take my word for it or would just have to fly up there to find out for yourself?

I rest my case.

Anyawys, TS. Every where that I have read, for live performances the JC-120 is the best for cleans. For practice at home, try the "cube" amps. they seem to be gathering alot of good reviews.
Last edited by charles_ebarb at Sep 22, 2010,
Quote by Jhachey22
Cube should be fine for Jazz, since it's pretty much a Mini JC with a modelling, imo. It does have a JC setting, right?

yes and it is jc is my fav amp modelling in this cube..
Quote by WtrPlyr
Because there probably are better pickups for the job that aren't Dimarzio.. Now, why do you want Dimarzio so badly.

because i read bout tone zone dp189..
i think it's good for jazz..
Quote by WtrPlyr
So actually you want us to recommend you a Tone Zone DP189?

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stupid pig..
i ask ur opinion..
i wanna make right desicion before i buy..
He gave you his opinion but you just went Dimarzio Dimarzio DiMarzio DiMarzio. It's your right to use DiMarzio if you want it, but you asked us what the best pickup for you is. the best pickup for you is not a DiMarzio. Don't be misleading. If you want to know what the best Dimarzio pickup for you is, ask "what Dimarzio pickup is best for me." And then we'd probably give you other pickup brands anyway because limiting yourself to one brand is ****ing stupid.

There's no need to insult the people trying to help you when you aren't playing along. We recommended something better but you disregarded it. The reason as to "why not dimarzio" is because there are better pickups that aren't dimarzio. That's the only reason that's needed.

Also, my troll thread meter is at 76%
Last edited by Seref at Sep 22, 2010,
just get the dimarzio that you want. you already have your mind made up anyways.

i use a SD jazz (humbucker, tho) in one of my guitars. honestly my favorite pickup that i have ever used. not that i have a whole lot of pups that i have used, but it sure is sweet. but since you want a single (or a single sized bucker) i would look for something with similar specs. 7.5-8khz with an alnico 5 bar magnet.

if u are stuck on dimarzio, something that will get you in the ballpark specs wise is the Virtual Vintage Blues DP402. not sure how those sound, honestly, but its similar specs wise.

now stop being a brand-name w-hore, dick.

EDIT: seriously, i wouldnt get the tone zone DP189. too high of output.

double edit: either way, you might have to roll off the tone. idk. i use a roland Cube 30, (1 being lowest, 5 being middle, 10 being highest) with my treble at about 4, mids at 6-8, and bass at 5-7. depends really. if u are using a cube, (great little jazz amp mainly because of the JC clean circuit) and keep the treble below half, and keep your mids high (bass to taste) you should find some desired tones.
Last edited by xXMetal-HeadXx at Sep 22, 2010,
Quote by charles_ebarb
Because I read up on it. Life is not based on us solely going on our own understanding of something. This is a collective effort, dude.

If I told you that the sun is very hot, and let alone the countless other scientists tell you the same thing, would you take my word for it or would just have to fly up there to find out for yourself?

I rest my case.

Anyawys, TS. Every where that I have read, for live performances the JC-120 is the best for cleans. For practice at home, try the "cube" amps. they seem to be gathering alot of good reviews.

wat

Scientific fact and opinions on an amp are not comparable. And you lost any sort of credibility when you said the JC120 was a tube amp. Pro Tip: If you don't have experience with something don't comment on it. You usually wind up looking like an idiot.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs