I need some help with pickups. I have a Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX, and im looking to replace the pickups. I already bought an Evo2 Dimarzio for the Bridge, and I was gunna buy a Breed Neck but im thinking in a Mahogany Les Paul that wont work. So any other suggestions that would work? I want something that will work with the Evo2? I like a sweet smooth tone with distortion with the tone knob rolled back, with a little more bite when its turned up. I like the Breed Neck tone, so are there any pickups that sound similar, work with my guitar (Les Paul) and work with my evo2?

I play hard rock, metal, mostly, but I still want good clean tones cuz I do enjoy all types of music.

Edit: Had another look at the dimarzio website. While they dont recommend the Breed Neck in the neck of a mahogany guitar, when I enter my guitar wood and specs etc and what kind of pickup i want, and that I want warmer/fatter (but I still want high output and sustain, but i just picked this option), the breed neck still came up. So anyone have experience with this pickup in a Les Paul? Im not quite sure anymore if itll work.
Last edited by alexjustdoit at Sep 22, 2010,
I've got one in a Mahogany Iceman - check the amp clips in my profile. It will give you a very fat, warm sound but that's not as much of an issue in the neck, in the bridge it can sound a little lacking in bite in mahogany.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I was looking on the Jemsite forums and some people have said that the Breed and evo2 are very similar sounding, and that they might not be a good match. Ive also heard a PAF Pro in the neck of an LP should be good too. Any other people that has experience with a Breed and Evo2 in a mahogany guitar?
Just for curiosity's sake, what amp are you using, OP?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by alexjustdoit
Raven RG100

Oooooooh....I haven't seen a post about a RAVEN amp here in...

...actually I've never seen one.

Let the hating begin!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Theyre good amps. Well, the top end one is, havent tried the others, but I tried it, and immediately dialed in some perfect sounds, so I bought it. Its a new company, an in house brand of Guitar Center I think. A bit directional soundwise, but good for home.
Quote by alexjustdoit
Theyre good amps. Well, the top end one is, havent tried the others, but I tried it, and immediately dialed in some perfect sounds, so I bought it. Its a new company, an in house brand of Guitar Center I think. A bit directional soundwise, but good for home.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Can someone please take this topic seriously and give me some input on pickups? Ive been doing so many google searches for info on a breed in a les paul
Quote by alexjustdoit
Can someone please take this topic seriously and give me some input on pickups? Ive been doing so many google searches for info on a breed in a les paul

While better pickups will improve your sound, you'd do alot better to get a better amp.

I don't mean to offend you but the Raven is really a terrible amp.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Turrible Turrible Amp...
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
this is far from the best information you will hear in this thread, as it is a generalization...

a lot of times, (NOT ALL TIMES) things aren't common because they either don't work well, aren't compatable, don't sound good, etc. Generally on guitar forums, good news travels fast (being good gear, gear combos, etc). Also things that people try and dont like are less likely to make it to a post in a forum, than something that works great. so what i am trying to say is that MAYBE (READ: MAYBE), the reason you haven't heard a lot about it, is because it doesn't have the best outcome.

i know les pauls, and i know a bunch of dimarzio pickups, including breed, evos, and similar, and just don't think that would work well.

in my les pauls, i have '57 classics (PAF based) in one, and 490R and 498T in the other (actually my favorite pickups despite common opinion). those are common pickups, that SD PAF PRO would typically be more common in the neck, pearly gates are generally found at the bridge, that you have your more gainy buckers like your super distortion and duncan distortion, which also do well in les pauls.

just some thoughts.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Very good advice, thank you. Tho its a bit late to turn back now, but ill try it and exchange them if it doesnt work out. In the price range I was looking at, I couldnt find an amp that I liked more than the Raven. And i know the lower ravens arent too good, but the rg100 i was impressed by, but what other good amps might I have looked into at around $200?
Quote by alexjustdoit
but what other good amps might I have looked into at around $200?

You could have probably found something a lot better if you went used.
Quote by rmr024

Quote by alexjustdoit

I don't think I can be more helpful than giving you sound clips of the same pickup in a similar guitar
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Ravens were created by Satan personally to torment guitar players. It's true, I saw him cart them into GC a few days back.

Now seriously, if you have a sound problem, chances are you have an amp problem. Certainly you wondered why an amp the size of the Raven only costs $200? Let me tell you: unless you have bigger bucks to spend, you can either get a big amp or a good amp, but you can't get one that is big and good. (Unless, of course, you keep an eye on the used market.)

New pickups will make the amp sound different - but they won't make it sound good. You're basically paying to get a new bad sound. I advise against it.
Well it was 300 on musicians friend, i got it factory restocked for 200. I never buy anything new, I prefer to save the money. So I did get it used, and the original price was 300, possibly we are thinking of different raven amps? Anyway, suggestions on amps that are around 300 bucks? Ill just find one used.

Also, every review ive seen has said its a really good amp. And i played quite a few amps and im not new to music at all, ive played 3 instruments, and i was impressed. So I have to disagree saying its THAT bad. Not the best, but I didnt find anything better in my price range.

It was also designed to be used with pedals, which is why the clean is quite... unfancy and bare, but I like it. The distortion is only ok though.

Edit: You're right. The price dropped to $199 on musicians friend, I just checked.
Last edited by alexjustdoit at Sep 29, 2010,
Also, any other pickup suggestions to go with an evo2 in a les paul? Remember, looking for a neck pickup, maybe with a similar smooth tone like the breed.
Quote by alexjustdoit
Also, any other pickup suggestions to go with an evo2 in a les paul? Remember, looking for a neck pickup, maybe with a similar smooth tone like the breed.

An Evo neck.........................
Quote by rmr024

Quote by alexjustdoit
Well it was 300 on musicians friend, i got it factory restocked for 200. I never buy anything new, I prefer to save the money. So I did get it used, and the original price was 300, possibly we are thinking of different raven amps? Anyway, suggestions on amps that are around 300 bucks? Ill just find one used.

Also, every review ive seen has said its a really good amp. And i played quite a few amps and im not new to music at all, ive played 3 instruments, and i was impressed. So I have to disagree saying its THAT bad. Not the best, but I didnt find anything better in my price range.

It was also designed to be used with pedals, which is why the clean is quite... unfancy and bare, but I like it. The distortion is only ok though.

Edit: You're right. The price dropped to $199 on musicians friend, I just checked.

Reviews are written mostly by people in their honeymoon period. Pretty much every piece of gear gets good reviews, even shoddy stuff. They're not a reliable source of information.

The amp is the foundation of your sound - if the amp is bad, the best pedals won't make it sound good. Go to your local guitar store and make some comparisons if you have a couple of hours to spend.

Don't choose pups just yet if you are going to buy a new amp, too. Pups are for fine-tuning your sound. Get the amp first and play it for a couple of weeks. See what you like and what you don't like about the sound. Then choose pups to help you emphasize the good aspects and get rid of the bad ones.

I'm not saying this because I think it's funny to tell you you're doing it wrong. I've been there and done that, because like most people, I'm so dumb that I only learn the hard way. I hope I can save you some time and money here.

300 dollars, hm? New, you might look at the Bugera V22 (will need a boost for modern metal, though personally I'd be happy with the metal tones it gets with your active pups already).

Used, look into a Peavey Classic 30. They go for $300 all the time, sometimes with an upgraded speaker even. You might be lucky and score an old Peavey Ultra even, which is a great high-gain amp. A Traynor YCS20 is also an option, though that might be out of budget, even used. But having a look at craigslist can't hurt.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Oct 1, 2010,
Hows the marshall valvestate 8100? Theres one on craigslist with a cab for $175. THe original cab, the one that was mad for this particular head