Hi,

I would like to know if there's any way i can record to my computer without using a microphone.

I have a Peavey JSX combo, and it has a 1/4" line out. After reading up, it seems that it's post-power amp. I'd like to run this to my computer without running it through my soundcard since that deteriorates the sound quality. What equipment would i need?

Thanks,
Pac_Man
I think you need an audio interface for something like that
Rattle Your Goddamn Head!
Quote by Pac_man0123
I would like to know if there's any way i can record to my computer without using a microphone.

there are ways, lets investigate...

Quote by Pac_man0123
I have a Peavey JSX combo, and it has a 1/4" line out. After reading up, it seems that it's post-power amp.

that is strange, is it a line out or a speaker out? if it is a line out then get a 1/4" mono to 1/8" stereo adapter and plug that into the input of your computer. but a line out should be from before the power section

DO NOT DO THIS IF IT IS A SPEAKER OUT! as this would be after the power section and things will fry

Quote by Pac_man0123
I'd like to run this to my computer without running it through my soundcard since that deteriorates the sound quality.

not to contradict, but gearslutz had a great talk about this and that is mostly a myth. i have plenty of examples of me running a ipod chord with adapter from guitar to computer and sounds plenty good enough (esp if you plan on bypassing mics anyway). check hysteresis on my profile, it's all through the native sound card. also, the intro solo and backing guitar track on 'black napkins' also run right into garage band.

you really want a device though? go with usb interface or you can get a usb mic for roughly the same price (i know you don't wanna use a mic, but i thought i'd throw it out there)
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Sep 22, 2010,
Well i've plugged my vypyr into the sound card of my computer and it makes it sound a lot more processed.

I tried a 1/8" adapter but it was barely recording any sound. It was super quiet and i had the line out up all the way.

And yes, it's a separate line out from the speaker outs.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Well i've plugged my vypyr into the sound card of my computer and it makes it sound a lot more processed.

that is kinda problem with line in recording with amps, it loses alot. my line in had speaker and amp simulators to make that sound more natural. they have a number of free vst plug-ins for that if you wanna go that route.

Quote by Pac_man0123
I tried a 1/8" adapter but it was barely recording any sound. It was super quiet and i had the line out up all the way.

this may sometimes happen if the incorrect adapter is used for a unbalanced to balanced signal. sounds like the 1/2 your signal is getting lost with the converter you used. like i said a 1/4" mono (from amp) to 1/8" stereo (to computer) converter is ideal to get all the signal where it needs to be else it can end up being very weak (i could tell stories)

Quote by Pac_man0123
And yes, it's a separate line out from the speaker outs.

good deal, then your set.

-ae
Quote by Pac_man0123
"This 1/4" mono (TS) jack provides a post-power amp signal to drive another power amp/speaker system while maintaining the amplifier’s tone."
- Peavey's JSX manual

that is confusing... usually they run those things before or after the phase inverter...

Quote by Pac_man0123

yeah, that will work also. the 1/4" to usb has it's own analog to digital converter, you would be bypassing the onboard sound card in that case (this may be a good or bad thing depends if your soundcard has a better A/D converter than the device, but at least you aren't using native processing)

holy crap, just saw 49 bucks, damn.

-ae
Quote by Pac_man0123
Yeah but comparing that to buying a mic and interface... idk. I just thought i could use the line out for simple recording.

The phase inverter of the JSX is a 12AX7 in the power section.

it'll def work. if you are going for cheap then go to radio shack and try the correct adapter first (or make sure it is the correct adapter). i think you were getting signal loss from the unbalanced/balanced conversion. it is worth the <5 usd for the try anyway. i actually sure a male 1/4" moni to stereo 1/8" stereo with and ipod cord. you could also just use a 1/4" mono female to 1/8" stereo male and use your normal patch cord.

but if you wanna go with the USB converter that'll work fine too.

i forgot some people consider the PI to be in the power section, should have figured that one out.

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
not to contradict, but gearslutz had a great talk about this and that is mostly a myth.

I don't care what ANYONE says, onboard soundcard VS. a proper audio interface is night and day.

Maybe not with other signals, but with a guitar line-level signal coming straight from the guitar itself, the quality is terrible compared to hooking it up to an interface. I use multiple VST amp sims and at first used my computers line-in/mic-in ports as I didn't know about audio interfaces. My sound was noisy, hissy, crackly, MUDDY as hell, no definition and just lacked any body.

I got an interface and wow, almost perfection. My VST sims reacted much different any I was able to get very clear high gain sounds with little noise.

Well I fried that interface and now I'm stuck using my computers line-in (different computer) and it's the same story. Weak, muddy, noisy signal. I even have ASIO4ALL, and the latency is perfect, but the quality is just not there.

edit:
you mentioned garageband... maybe Macs are a bit different with their internal soundcards. But your average PC's onboard soundcard is pretty shit. Maybe's that's changed though, my computer is a couple years old.
Last edited by Ignite at Sep 22, 2010,