hey everyone,

i have always focused more on singing and playing rhythm guitar, but recently i auditioned for a band called White Noise Radio, who were a slightly famous band who had a couple songs on the radio, and i got the part playing lead guitar. we are playing one of the best venues in the area, that seats up to one thousand people, and are the closing act of a music festival on october 9th here in albany, ny. i never had a problem with crowds or anything like that before, i love being on stage, but i have never been in the role of lead guitar before so its sure gonna be different. do you guys have any tips, on really anything i should know or do before or during the show, from warmups, to stage prescence, to adapting to lead, to gear or whatever?

thanks so much,
robert
Gear:
My Voice
PRS Tremonti II
PRS Hollowbody II w/ Piezo Blue Matteo
PRS 513 25th anniversary
PRS Tremonti SE
Fender John Mayer Relic strat "the black one"

did i mention i like PRS?

20th Anniversary Bogner Shiva
Last edited by AE25RR at Sep 22, 2010,
Don't **** up.
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Warmups...as usual, just loosen up your fingers, the gear, you have nothing to worry about. You have a rig that would probably make the rest of the bands jealous.

Stage presence...depending on what type of band you're in...think, what would David Lee Roth do if he was the lead guitar player in a band about to play a show? That should give you an idea.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
Although i havent played on that scale i reckon the basics aare still the same,

warmup a good 30mins before the set (if you can do it on an acoustic that would be great)
make sure you could nail every bit (You've probably done it already but its still important)
when on stage MOVE, you say you used to be a rythm guitarist and singer so youll be used to staying chained to your mic, now your free to move make sure you at least walk around and interact with fellow bandmembers a little

(Also if your planning on going nuts on stage make sure you stretch, doing a gig with a pulled muscle sucks)

hope that helped
Hey... Hey guys.... Watch This!
Have a good sound check and make sure you are happy with the mix in your monitor(s)
Quote by goest
...dude...is his text un-aligning before my eyes?

Holy Shiz!! Optical illusion! Mind=Blown.
Quote by Meths

fret-less is wrong on most of his other points though. And he's an idiot.
Quote by Mr Lincolnlogs
Whos penis is small? fret-less's

FREE COREYSMONSTER! I'm not changing this until you RE-BAN CoreysMonster forever.
(He was mean to me once, and I'm a petty man)
well assuming you are a vocalist/rhythm as guys said you'll be used to being chained to mic. but still.. hmm that means still teh focus on stage was on you... so this time it is focused on you again but you dont have to be chained to the mic.. and i think it's even easier that way.. i mean when you play and sing you think like two different things at once.. the lyrics and the guitar parts... now that you have only one instrument you can chill out.. at least that's how it was with me... except that im used to be a vocalist and lead guitarist so being a lead guitarist without the vocals is easier for me
After all these "don't **** up", I'd like to add:
If you **** up, just keep playing. Most people didn't notice.

And also, don't **** up.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

yeah urik is true.. if you do ****up noone notices... believe me.. if you play a half tone wrong note... then even better noone will ever notice!!! just act natural but be cool... like dont freeze in one place.. this way even if you ****up and someone notices none will care cz your so cool!!!
Make sure you're able to play the solo at least 20 BPM faster than what you're playing it live so it's more relaxed for you in the real thing. If you're not totally relaxed playing the solo at tempo in a practice situation, then you're not ready to perform it.
Just try to relax and enjoy yourself.
Get that right and you'll gain confidence during the gig.
Gain confidence and it's unlikely that you'll f*ck up.
If you do f*ck up, don't worry about it, put it behind you and just get on with the set, otherwise it'll distract you and cause you to f*ck up again.

Remember, they auditioned and chose 'you' to do this. In other words, the reason you are there is because someone tested your ability to pull this off and found that you have the ability. mKeep that in mind.
Lead guitar is the way to go! Just warm up properly. Run up and down some scales and stuff about half hour before you go on. If you got a valve amp. Just do what you usually do when you go on. Not that much different.
Thanks guys I appreciate all the advice, keep it coming!
Gear:
My Voice
PRS Tremonti II
PRS 513 25th anniversary
PRS Tremonti SE

Accept the fact that you will fuck up. Go on, get it over with. Go play a bad note right now and then play the next one right and keep going like nothing happened.

Do that, although obviously your goal will be not to fuck up.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Be rehearsed to a point where you don't have to think about it.
Do what you do normally... don't feel pressured at all.... You need to feel relaxed to play your best.
Get a guitar tone you're happy with, and have a good soundcheck with the band to make sure everyone cuts right, and has the right levels. Nothing worse than huge jumps, or a lead tone for one song being too loud for another.
Also, make sure that you don't get mad feedback as you hit your lead boost - that will throw you off.
Don't hide behind fx - it will stop you cutting through.
Don't use more dirt than you need.
Make sure your amp is in a good place (have the cab on a table or a crate for projection).
Have fresh strings that have settled in and won't go out of tune after a bend.
Use a backup guitar and amp.
Make sure you're not stumbling over your leads.
Sorry for the long post, but they're all things to consider.

Edit: also, if you do **** up, get on with it. If you take it to heart or grimace, people pcik up on it. If you keep going, most people won't notice anyway.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Also, if when you're playing you think "Oh no, it's that fast/ hard/ awkward bit coming up", you shouldn't be playing the song. There should be nothing in the song you find difficult. If there is, you're under rehearsed.
Quote by leg end
Also, if when you're playing you think "Oh no, it's that fast/ hard/ awkward bit coming up", you shouldn't be playing the song. There should be nothing in the song you find difficult. If there is, you're under rehearsed.

none of the parts are too hard, i am worried however about my hand getting shaky once i get up there
Gear:
My Voice
PRS Tremonti II
PRS 513 25th anniversary
PRS Tremonti SE

try not to **** up.

and if you do **** up either 1) don't piss yourself or 2) do piss yourself and call it a publicity stunt... it worked for Fergie so it should work for you.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Cum blood. On the audience.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
Quote by setboy
make sure you can hear your self.

this. oh my goodness this more than anything. playing a gig where you can't hear what your playing is miserable.
If you do **** up, just keep going and say it was a "jazz break"
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Physically warm-up, technically warm-up and finally mentally warm-up before the show.. Have a beer or two to relax yourself (don't overdo it) and also prepare the lead sections of the band beforehand to perfection..

That's my advice to you
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
how do you suggest i mentally warm up?
Gear:
My Voice
PRS Tremonti II
PRS 513 25th anniversary
PRS Tremonti SE