Well, I was using my iTunes recently when I discovered I have a song that makes my iTunes freeze up and requires me to turn off my computer by the switch.
Whenever I try to delete the file or edit it in any way (this even relates to clicking on the file in the Music folder), it freezes up and I have to turn it off.
Basically, my iTunes and computer is fine as long as I don't play or click the song.
However, the song was on my old desktop computer before it came to my laptop and it was completely fine, in fact, I'm certain the song was fine up until a few weeks ago.

So this raises a few questions;
1. Why has it happened?
2. Any way to reverse this?
3. If worst comes to worst and I should delete it, is this a good guide for command prompt deleting?

Anyway, all help is appreciated.
Thanks!
I really have no actual knowledge, given that I hate everything that is Apple, but it sounds like the file might have gotten corrupted.

And yes, the command prompt should work for deleting it, just make sure that you have the right file so you dont delete something important.

DoomdEdit: didnt understand the command prompt question the first time. Yes thats the right way to use the command prompt to delete files.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Last edited by doomded at Sep 22, 2010,
Quote by doomded
I really have no actual knowledge, given that I hate everything that is Apple, but it sounds like the file might have gotten corrupted.

And yes, the command prompt should work for deleting it, just make sure that you have the right file so you dont delete something important.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of Apple, but I've just found iPods and iTunes easy enough to use.
But I digress, any idea on how a file can become corrupted?
Quote by tyler_j
Yeah, I've never been a fan of Apple, but I've just found iPods and iTunes easy enough to use.
But I digress, any idea on how a file can become corrupted?

Given that everything is stored in binary code, all it really takes is a program accidentally changing a 0 to a 1 (or vice-versa)

DoomdEdit: v Try that first. Itunes might just have gotten a bug and cant read it right.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
Last edited by doomded at Sep 22, 2010,
Like all problems involving iTunes, it's easily solved with a quick reinstall.
Quote by Avedas
Like all problems involving iTunes, it's easily solved with a quick reinstall.

That's my Plan A, but if that doesn't work, I'll give the command prompt method a try.
Heres what I would do personally:

1) Go into the song not via the programme itunes. To figure out where they're all saved just go to one of the songs on itunes and look at the summary of it. Should have a "where: where the files saved" scan it if theres no problems with it i'd just delete it.

2) never play it

3) Highlight a song above it, hold shift and click a song under hit and hit delete. You'll delete all three but that corrupted song will be gone. You may be able to get the other two back from your recycle bin.

I just though of that on the top of my head so dont hate if im full of lies.
Quote by Tster
Heres what I would do personally:

1) Go into the song not via the programme itunes. To figure out where they're all saved just go to one of the songs on itunes and look at the summary of it. Should have a "where: where the files saved" scan it if theres no problems with it i'd just delete it.

2) never play it

3) Highlight a song above it, hold shift and click a song under hit and hit delete. You'll delete all three but that corrupted song will be gone. You may be able to get the other two back from your recycle bin.

Well, I did try something similar, but this is why I'm going for the Command Prompt a bit later.
I noticed I couldn't play the song in Itunes, and since I kept my Music folder pretty organised, I went into the folder and went to right click and open it with something else, but even the right click freezes up the computer.
So I'm guessing it's the file, but I'll try a re-install first.
Quote by Tster

you can also just click the song above it, hold shift and press the down arrow.
If anyone is still hanging on for closure, the problems have been fixed, but through none of these methods.

The problem was a song on one of my Eskimo Joe albums.
I ended up deleting the entire Eskimo Joe artist folder from my music folder and ripping the CDs once again.
It seems I could delete the artist folder, but not the album folder or the single file.