10 67%
Mustang I/II
3 20%
Bugera V5
0 0%
Other
2 13%
Voters: 15.
With all the threads going around for practice amps I need some info from guys who have owned or played through one of these. Bugera V5,Vypyr 15/30, Mustang I/II, or something else
1-I know it wont sound like a good tube amp
2-Be the most versatile to play most Classic to Modern Rock(BFMV,Disturbed, etc being the heaviest)
3-I have the option of Active/Passive PU's
4-I have effect pedals already
5-Just need it to get me through a year of Afghanistan to further expand my ability to play guitar

Thank You
Theran Martin
US ARMY
EUROPE
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
i use battery powered amps when i am on the road. been through a number and the mini orange is pretty damn cool. i like it cuz it's def loud enough, and i won't be upset if something happens to it, and i can store it in the guitar case.

i don't play with people on the road though, that might be a consideration for you. the low end is lacking in battery powered cuz of the small speakers as well.

of the ones you list i'd prefer the vypyr, mainly for the modeling and extras.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
why dont you buy a pod or something?
It's more compact and you have more sound options.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by niels-uiterwaal
why dont you buy a pod or something?
It's more compact and you have more sound options.

I'm not a fan of pods but this isn't a bad idea. You could run headphones from it or hook it up to a speaker system if you get the chance.
+1 to the Pod. My Brother tried to take a Blues Jr. with him to Iraq, it uh.. got a TON of sand in the circuitry and whatnot (along with his xBox) and now serves as a really cool small table.
Never considered a POD or something of the like. So a Multi FX pedal would essentially serve the same purpose, but then I am limited to headphones unless I buy some monitor speakers which will cost just as much or more than one of these amps.
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Quote by GS LEAD 5
And all Bugera's are all tube.
Nope, the BC15 has a SS poweramp.

Anyway, I'd go for the Vypyr. Nice little practice amp, good versatility.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
a cheaper bugera (ie - smaller vintage models) will not do metal without extensive tweaking and upgrades. mine is stock, but ive been playing with the right pedal and amp settings for months. i can do more 80s style metal.

disturbed? modern high gain. no. probably never. without going death metal disturbed is pretty heavy stuff. high gain deff.

how big can you go? honestly, a smaller practice amp with modeling effects is your best bet. there is no god tube amp like that...especially for high gain. what about a roland cube? can you use one of those krank mini stacks? peavey vypyr?
Really guys,

He's asking for a practice amp, 20ish watts and under, so as far as the Vypyr goes were talking the 15 watt model. I had one of those as well as the Vox da5, 5 watts, and they don't come close to what the Mustang 1 has to offer, in sound, functionality / tweak-ability, or price. OP, go and play one of these Mustangs and you honestly won't look at the others.

In fairness to others who have only heard or played the amp in store, it's the Fuse software that makes this amp stand out from the rest (among other things). You are not tied / limited to a set bunch of presets. There are 8 different amp models x 3 banks (24 total) within the amp, 12 in Fuse, and you can set them up any way you like with Pre Amp (Stompboxes - Modulation - Delay - Reverb (multiple choices within each group) - Amp - Rack Effects ( Post Gain - Modulation - Delay - Reverb (multiple choices within each group as well). Go into the advanced amp settings in Fuse and you can set your Noise Gate - Sag - Bias, and choose a speaker cabinet configuration or none. Click save on the amp and your preset is good to go, and you can do that 24 times if you so desire. You also have Gain - Volume - Treble - Bass and Master knobs on the top for further control. All but the Master setting is saved when you save a preset. And to the OP, they sell for $99 US. Just my thoughts.

Glen
Quote by Muskoka
Really guys,

He's asking for a practice amp, 20ish watts and under, so as far as the Vypyr goes were talking the 15 watt model. I had one of those as well as the Vox da5, 5 watts, and they don't come close to what the Mustang 1 has to offer, in sound, functionality / tweak-ability, or price. OP, go and play one of these Mustangs and you honestly won't look at the others.

In fairness to others who have only heard or played the amp in store, it's the Fuse software that makes this amp stand out from the rest (among other things). You are not tied / limited to a set bunch of presets. There are 8 different amp models x 3 banks (24 total) within the amp, 12 in Fuse, and you can set them up any way you like with Pre Amp (Stompboxes - Modulation - Delay - Reverb (multiple choices within each group) - Amp - Rack Effects ( Post Gain - Modulation - Delay - Reverb (multiple choices within each group as well). Go into the advanced amp settings in Fuse and you can set your Noise Gate - Sag - Bias, and choose a speaker cabinet configuration or none. Click save on the amp and your preset is good to go, and you can do that 24 times if you so desire. You also have Gain - Volume - Treble - Bass and Master knobs on the top for further control. All but the Master setting is saved when you save a preset. And to the OP, they sell for $99 US. Just my thoughts.

Glen

Thanks for all the advice and replies so far UG, but Glen I think you just sealed the deal for me. I know I wont get the best sounds out of what I am asking for, but if it keeps my sanity for a year I will be a happy Soldier! So based off of what you have stated Glen, I think the Mustang sounds like the best option IMO. I am sure the VYPYR is good since so many people give it high praise, but I think as Glen stated the FUSE software is the key.

Thank You.
Theran Martin
US ARMY
EUROPE
Gear-
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
Catalinbread DLS v2