I'm looking for booster/distortion to play solos. I play technical death metal, and shred
I have Peavey 6505+ with engl e212v.
I am willing to pay about 200$

Cheers!
Tubescreamer.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Keeley TS9
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I have a TS9 and i honestly don't think it boosts the tone too much in death metal. i think you should rather get an EQ pedal and boost the mids and level on it, so that your playing get louder and more cutting when you step on it. i put mine through the FX Loop.

EDIT: A Tubescreamer-style pedal is still nice for improving your tone a lot. It really does an awesome difference.
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Quote by Eskil Rask
I have a TS9 and i honestly don't think it boosts the tone too much in death metal. i think you should rather get an EQ pedal and boost the mids and level on it, so that your playing get louder and more cutting when you step on it. i put mine through the FX Loop.

EDIT: A Tubescreamer-style pedal is still nice for improving your tone a lot. It really does an awesome difference.

Just to clear things up, you know a TS9 IS a Tubestreamer right?
Quote by Eskil Rask

I got my TS9 to tighten up my bottom end, not to boost the signal.

Yes you should get an EQ pedal for a boost...Not a TS9
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
For solos a volume boost and mid boost is best to give solos that extra cut and bite, hence TS9, IMO of course. I believe an EQ should be in the loop and on at all times especially on a 6505+
Quote by AxSilentxLine
For solos a volume boost and mid boost is best to give solos that extra cut and bite, hence TS9, IMO of course. I believe an EQ should be in the loop and on at all times especially on a 6505+

that
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Since you are using it for soloing you don't want a OD that will color your tone, thus I would highly recommended the mxr GT-OD if you can find one, jump on it like a fat kid finding a Twinkie. Other than that I would recommended anything from Maxon or fulltone. Just know that you don't want the OD to color your tone when you stomp it on.
Quote by convictionless
Since you are using it for soloing you don't want a OD that will color your tone, thus I would highly recommended the mxr GT-OD if you can find one, jump on it like a fat kid finding a Twinkie. Other than that I would recommended anything from Maxon or fulltone. Just know that you don't want the OD to color your tone when you stomp it on.
lol, nice job telling someone else what they want. Why wouldn't you want to color your tone when soloing, anyway? Some extra mids go a long way to help cut through the mix.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Eq + Ts
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Quote by Kanthras
lol, nice job telling someone else what they want. Why wouldn't you want to color your tone when soloing, anyway? Some extra mids go a long way to help cut through the mix.

Sorry if im upsetting you, im not trying to come off that way.
Its just when people are looking for an OD just to solo then normally what they are looking for is just a volume/gain boost not a boost in EQ.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Ibanez TS9

Umm no
Unless its modded even then though
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by slipknot_420
Umm no
Unless its modded even then though

And why not pray tell?

Sorry but someone with a Boss Metalcore shouldn't badmouth a TS9
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Sep 22, 2010,
Quote by AxSilentxLine
All boosts inherently add "colour" to your tone though by definition. They smooth mids, add volume and cut to enhance your sound.

Well I hope you learn gain structure in your recording arts courses soon because what the OD is essentially doing is increasing the gain and tone characteristics of the guitar before it reaches the amp. There ARE OD's that do infact color tone but there are also other more higher end OD's that are made more for soloing i.e. just increasing volume/gain before it reaches the pre-amp. I know this is just the internet and trying to tell you otherwise to what you tihnk is like telling a brickwall to become water. It will never happen.
Quote by AxSilentxLine
All boosts inherently add "colour" to your tone though by definition. They smooth mids, add volume and cut to enhance your sound.
There are transparent boosts as well.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

^^ Okay buddy since you had to be a dick about it. An OD boosts your guitar signal, agreed? No matter what pedal you have, even a "clean" boost, extra frequencies are being added, agreed?

If you were to look at your guitar signal as a waveform, the boost will be "boosting" the wave, the very thing that they are designed to do. Is that not the very definition of "colouring" your tone?

I get where you're coming from, but even a clean boost which affects frequencies very minimally is adding dB which will push the tubes ever so slightly, what they are meant to do, hence colouring tone also
Quote by AxSilentxLine
^^ Okay buddy since you had to be a dick about it.
You misinterpreted me. I did not mean to be a dick about it, I simply stated fact. Do you want me to add a bunch of euphemisms next time? A "pardon me good sir", perhaps?
An OD boosts your guitar signal, agreed? No matter what pedal you have, even a "clean" boost, extra frequencies are being added, agreed?
No. If you just increase the amplitude, no extra frequencies are added. Only the frequencies that are there will be made louder, and in a perfectly clean boost it will do that without harmonic distortion or clipping distortion.
If you were to look at your guitar signal as a waveform, the boost will be "boosting" the wave, the very thing that they are designed to do. Is that not the very definition of "colouring" your tone?
I define "colouring" as a harmonic distortion. Using my definition, a boost does not colour the tone.
I get where you're coming from, but even a clean boost which affects frequencies very minimally is adding dB which will push the tubes ever so slightly, what they are meant to do, hence colouring tone also
Then it's the tubes colouring the tone, not the pedal itself.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by Kanthras
You misinterpreted me. I did not mean to be a dick about it, I simply stated fact. Do you want me to add a bunch of euphemisms next time? A "pardon me good sir", perhaps?
No. If you just increase the amplitude, no extra frequencies are added. Only the frequencies that are there will be made louder, and in a perfectly clean boost it will do that without harmonic distortion or clipping distortion.
I define "colouring" as a harmonic distortion. Using my definition, a boost does not colour the tone.

I was actually referring to the joker above you mate

Quote by Kanthras

But as the tubes being pushed is a direct result of the extra dB I still define the OD as colouring the tone

But instead of arguing semantics, however fun that is I might add i'll leave the picking of nits lol

I know that there are "clean" boosts out there but my argument was simply by definition colouring of tone when using an OD to add extra sizzle for solos is not a bad thing, it's actually desirable hence the Tubescreamer popularity
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I was actually referring to the joker above you mate
Ah, that clears things up. You're still wrong, though!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Quote by AxSilentxLine
And why not pray tell?

Sorry but someone with a Boss Metalcore shouldn't badmouth a TS9

I personally dont like tubescreamers for boosts as alot of people dont, they fuXk your tone all up.
And dont have my metalcore anymore allthough it was a great distortion just didnt have a use for it anymore.
Dont know why people hate on boss distortions so bad they do what there supposed to do.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Last edited by slipknot_420 at Sep 22, 2010,
Quote by slipknot_420
I personally dont like tubescreamers for boosts as alot of people dont, they fuXk your tone all up.

No worries man you're entitled to your opinion you should state the reason in your first post though otherwise it makes you look like a bandwagoner

I still think a TS9, or as the other guy said an MXR GT-OD would both be good choices
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Okay buddy since you had to be a dick about it. An OD boosts your guitar signal, agreed? No matter what pedal you have, even a "clean" boost, extra frequencies are being added, agreed?

Im not being a dick but im merely just making sure the TS doesnt make the wrong decision by following what someone says on here that is untrue. First of all, there is no such thing as "adding frequencies" dont try to give me the, "You know what im talking about" response to that. Frequencies are frequencies. The OD that the TS is looking for would only increase the gain between the guitar and the amp, once it reaches the amp then its up to the amp to color the tone. So the tubes being pushed isnt a coloring of the tone, its just the tubes having a more naturally increased gain coming to it. The "guitar signal" isnt a waveform, infact its just a variable electric signal made by the strings disrupting the magnet field over the pickups and even if it was a waveform it wouldn't be boosting the signal just increasing the gain. it would be a good idea to Get it right because people get picky about what words you use instead of gain. Now, please dont take what im saying personally. I was once in your position with thinking I knew what I was talking about, just work hard and go to school! Im Currently into my second year into my Grant macewan recording arts major just to back up what im talking about.
PS This is just the internet and Im not here to control you. At the end of the day its up to you if you want to listen or not. Nothing personal at all man!
Quote by convictionless
Im not being a dick but im merely just making sure the TS doesnt make the wrong decision by following what someone says on here that is untrue. First of all, there is no such thing as "adding frequencies" dont try to give me the, "You know what im talking about" response to that. Frequencies are frequencies. The OD that the TS is looking for would only increase the gain between the guitar and the amp, once it reaches the amp then its up to the amp to color the tone. So the tubes being pushed isnt a coloring of the tone, its just the tubes having a more naturally increased gain coming to it. The "guitar signal" isnt a waveform, infact its just a variable electric signal made by the strings disrupting the magnet field over the pickups and even if it was a waveform it wouldn't be boosting the signal just increasing the gain. it would be a good idea to Get it right because people get picky about what words you use instead of gain. Now, please dont take what im saying personally. I was once in your position with thinking I knew what I was talking about, just work hard and go to school! Im Currently into my second year into my Grant macewan recording arts major just to back up what im talking about.
PS This is just the internet and Im not here to control you. At the end of the day its up to you if you want to listen or not. Nothing personal at all man!

Did you seriously just try to say that if I have a distorted guitar signal and add a "non transparent" OD pedal no frequencies are being added, there is no such thing as adding frequencies? I didn't say a guitar signal is a waveform, I said imagine if it were expressed as one.

Do us all a favour and go back to the Pit. Try sentences also, it makes you look like less of a twat, and presuming to know what TS is looking for better than anyone else, and yes even himself is a douche thing to do, even Kanthras called you out on that one. TS obviously wants an OD to add sizzle and cut through, WHICH IN MY BOOKS IS A NON TRANSPARENT OD ie. TS9
This thread is basically useless if i was the ts id go to a diff forum and ask this lol
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
And some pedals

PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Quote by convictionless
Im not being a dick but im merely just making sure the TS doesnt make the wrong decision by following what someone says on here that is untrue. First of all, there is no such thing as "adding frequencies" dont try to give me the, "You know what im talking about" response to that.
Wut... You mean you can't add frequencies to a signal?

Frequencies are frequencies.
Tautologies are tautologies.

The OD that the TS is looking for would only increase the gain between the guitar and the amp, once it reaches the amp then its up to the amp to color the tone. So the tubes being pushed isnt a coloring of the tone, its just the tubes having a more naturally increased gain coming to it.
Tubes, when they get "more naturally increased" gain coming into them, colour the input signal (more than they coloured before, since tubes nearly always colour signal).

The "guitar signal" isnt a waveform, infact its just a variable electric signal made by the strings disrupting the magnet field over the pickups
A variable electric signal IS a waveform. The guitar signal is many sine waveforms compounded together.

and even if it was a waveform it wouldn't be boosting the signal just increasing the gain.
Increasing the gain => Increasing the signal

it would be a good idea to Get it right because people get picky about what words you use instead of gain. Now, please dont take what im saying personally. I was once in your position with thinking I knew what I was talking about, just work hard and go to school!
lol

Im Currently into my second year into my Grant macewan recording arts major just to back up what im talking about.
Yikes. With credentials like that, you MUST be right! I'm sure they teach you ALL about electronics in art school.

Yup. That goes both ways, btw. Nothing personal.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

honestly I'm surprised you feel you need a gain boost with a 6505+

thought about a volume pedal or an EQ instead?

Anyway if you must have a OD it's quite hard to recommend as there are plenty of nice ones that sound slightly different, you'd have to try.

If I were getting an OD to help along a tube amp, I'd get either a Fulltone OCD, or a Hardwire Tube Overdrive
I've used
Fulltone OCD
Ibanez TS9
Ibanez TS808
Maxon OD808
Bad Monkey
Boss OD1
Boss SD1

My favorite, by far, is the Fulltone OCD........its one amazing pedal.

However, my 5150 (same as the 6505) just absolutely loves the Maxon OD808. Killswitch Engage actually used a 5150 with a Maxon OD808 on their album. Set the gain at about 4 on your amp and you're good to go.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100