Can anyone weigh in on comparing the following 3 amps: a) Marshall DSL401
b) Marshall TSL601 (or 602) and c) Peavey Classic 50. I'm going for a heavily crunched pop-punk sound and am using pedals such as the Boss DS-1 and the Way Huge Swollen Pickle. All three of these amps I can get within my budget. I currently have a DSL201, but will need a more powerful amp for playing with my band.
Thanks. Any thought would def be appreciated.
Are you going combo or head and cab?
Also do you need 2 or 3 channels?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
I am definitely going combo. Frankly I mostly use the clean channel with some gain because of my pedal rig set-up. However thart may change and I want to have the option to explore the amps dirty and crunchy sounds as well.
Well from playing that peavey before I can tell you that the peavey is definitely not for you. I would stick with the marshall and compare both the marshalls and see which one you like best. Also when looking for an amp in that genre always buy an amp that has more gain than you need, because when you have to crank the pre-amp section on a amp not built to have its gain on 10 it can tend to fizz and possibly get muddy at higher volumes.
Id A/B the TSL and the peavey 50, (i didnt like the DSL at all tbh)
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
are you gigging in large venues that wont mic you up? otherwise you may not need a new amp. however if you are playing un miced venues then you may do.
imo the TSL is fizzy as hell but maybe thats only with high gain
the DSL is pretty good as far as i know may I ask why you use you're pedal over the gain on the amps? pretty sure they'd sound farrrrr better
Amps:
Orange Rocker 30
Marshall JCM 800 1960 4x12
Guitars:
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400
Pedals:
Boss SD-1
Boss GE-7
Behringer TU-300

www.myspace.com/oceansatealaska
Quote by josh_salty
are you gigging in large venues that wont mic you up? otherwise you may not need a new amp. however if you are playing un miced venues then you may do.
imo the TSL is fizzy as hell but maybe thats only with high gain
the DSL is pretty good as far as i know may I ask why you use you're pedal over the gain on the amps? pretty sure they'd sound farrrrr better

When I started putting a rig together I was trying to get close to the guitar sounds I recorded on my demos using GarageBand. I was doing this through a Fender Blues Junior which is an amp I did not love. I needed pedals to get the sound close to what I had in mind. True, once I got the DSL201 the distortion of that amp was much better. So, yes, I may change my approach as the band goes along.
Quote by Carrot
Id A/B the TSL and the peavey 50, (i didnt like the DSL at all tbh)

Wish I could, but the TSL is discontinued. Unlikely I'd be able to A/B the two.
Quote by convictionless
Well from playing that peavey before I can tell you that the peavey is definitely not for you. I would stick with the marshall and compare both the marshalls and see which one you like best. Also when looking for an amp in that genre always buy an amp that has more gain than you need, because when you have to crank the pre-amp section on a amp not built to have its gain on 10 it can tend to fizz and possibly get muddy at higher volumes.

Thanks Any idea which are the some of the better high gain combo amps in this price range (up to $900 U.S.)?
are you gigging in large venues that wont mic you up? otherwise you may not need a new amp. however if you are playing un miced venues then you may do.]

I may be trying to mic the amp this weekend. I use a state of the art vocal harmonizer as well (TC Helicon's VoiceLive 2) and would rather not have the vocals have to compete with the guitar through the PA. But I'll be testing all that out this weekend at the studio.
Quote by josh_salty
are you gigging in large venues that wont mic you up? otherwise you may not need a new amp. however if you are playing un miced venues then you may do.]

I may be trying to mic the amp this weekend. I use a state of the art vocal harmonizer as well (TC Helicon's VoiceLive 2) and would rather not have the vocals have to compete with the guitar through the PA. But I'll be testing all that out this weekend at the studio.

How are you putting that vocal harmonizer through the PA? does it go Mic>TC>Board>speakers? OR are you putting it in as a insert into the channel? like Mic>board insert>board>speakers? Also remember on the back of the board to put the channel's gain on DI/pad because im pretty sure there is some sort of pre amp in the TC which increases the gain by a lot.
Are you in the UK?

If so check ou the orange thunder 30.
Bit more gain than you need but itll do everything you want.

I have no tried the TSL, but the DSL401 is way overpriced and pretty shitty sounding really. Id take the cheaper peavey classic or laney vc30 over it.

A 20 watt valve amp is pretty loud though, you must be doing something wrong.
Quote by joho1701

How are you putting that vocal harmonizer through the PA? does it go Mic>TC>Board>speakers? OR are you putting it in as a insert into the channel? like Mic>board insert>board>speakers? Also remember on the back of the board to put the channel's gain on DI/pad because im pretty sure there is some sort of pre amp in the TC which increases the gain by a lot.

It's Mic into TC, then TC direct to board and out through speakers.
Quote by beckyjc
Are you in the UK?

If so check ou the orange thunder 30.
Bit more gain than you need but itll do everything you want.

I have no tried the TSL, but the DSL401 is way overpriced and pretty shitty sounding really. Id take the cheaper peavey classic or laney vc30 over it.

A 20 watt valve amp is pretty loud though, you must be doing something wrong.

The Orange Thunder 30 is available here. That company makes very sexy looking amps. And some of my fave alt indie bands use Orange (maybe there's a reason for that.) I can also use the extra EL84 backups I bought for the DSL201. And according to the specs it will fit in the 1X12 Gator transport cae I have. I def want to look into this amp. Thanks

And, yes, I still have a lot of tweaking to do with my 20 watt, but I am just trying to prepare myself in the event I end up feeling like I need/want something more powerful.
What don't you like about the DSL201?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack

It's just a power issue. My band is getting loud. Venues can be noisy. Want more flexibility in future situations.
Just a heads up TS something marshall has been contracting is Mesa syndrome where it takes you A LOT of tweaking before you can find a tone you enjoy and use. So when you test out either of the marshalls you are considering and you cant get a tone you quite enjoy in the store then just know that it does take a bit longer to dial in a enjoyable tone and a lot of patience too.
Quote by LaidBack

Also, don't get me wrong, I really like the DSL201. If I could afford it I would keep it as a practice amp at home. And word has it that the newer valve budget Marshalls, like the MA series, can't come close.
The 401 won't be much of an upgrade over the 201, they're the same amp, just the 401 has a bigger power section, as far as I know...

I don't normally suggest TSLs... but in this case, it's the best amp on the list IMO. I can't stand the 401. The Classic is a nice amp, but the TSL is more versatile.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'm seriously going to be taking a look at the new Orange Thunder 30 thanks to beckyjc's suggestion. I've seen some video and the thing looks great for what I want to do. Want to wait to hear some user reviews first though.
Quote by convictionless

Not his thing? The classic has a good amount of gain, I wouldn't entirely count it out. Never played the marshalls but the peavey is good.