Hi guys,

Could you help me with choosing a good multi effects pedal?

Ideally i'd like to play it live and for recording with at home if possible.

I have been looking at the POD XT Live and the Boss ME - 70 which seem my favourites so far.

My budget is around £150 - £250 or maybe a little more at a push.

I'm not after the best thing since sliced bread, i just want a good pedal where i can switch between different effects as and when i like. I have to have delay, chorus, reverb and a wah built in. Compression and a tuner would be an added bonus.

I'm not really after a pedal to replace my amp, i just want to use it in conjunction with it.

Also, finally, is it possible to run these type of pedals directly into a cabinet?

Thanks a lot, i would apreciate some feedback if you would be so kind
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Squier Strat (in bits LOL)
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
Can someone help please!
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
The ME-70 doesn't have USB, so it won't be as good for direct recording as the Pod. And no you can't run these pedals into a cabinet. You still need at least a power amp between the multifx and the cabinet.
RP500. XLR direct out, and the best sounds I've heard out of a multieffect (unless you count an M9 or M13)
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Will you be using midi to record or would you prefer a USB device.

Check out the Boss GT range. I used to have the GT8, which was awesom. I think the GT10 is the new kid on the block, but I've not tried it out. The GT8 had midi connectivity for direct pc connection.

It might be worth investigating usb and firewire audio interfaces such as the M-Audio Fast Track or the Alesis MultiMix 4 USB.
At present i can't record with Midi. How could i record with Midi?
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
If your sound card had a midi port then you could connect certain pedals to it. I don't know how it works as I never did it. All I know is that my Boss GT8 had a midi port.
Quote by Big_Rat
At present i can't record with Midi. How could i record with Midi?
You cannot record with midi. MIDI does not carry an audio signal. The best way to record on the GT-8 is with a sound card that has a coax SPDIF input.
Last edited by fly135 at Sep 23, 2010,
Cheers fly. It seems the GT-8 has been discontinued. Only option would be to ebay it =/

I have a toneport already and was wondering if i could link that to one of the multi effects pedals?

I really like the GT-8 but i'm not sure if i want to go secondhand :S
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
Second hand is the only way to go IMO. But I wouldn't get the GT-8. The price of multifx drop quickly. The Pod XT is fairly old now.

I don't see why you can't use your UX1 for an audio interface and get any multifx you want. The ME-70 looks pretty nice.
Yea the toneport is ok i suppose. And i could probably live with just having two seperate options but i would like to record with the wah pedal which is on it.

The ME 70 was my first choice anyways, i just wanted some views from peeps as i have never used a multi effects pedalboard before

Thanks for your help
Gear:

• ESP LTD SC 207
  • Washburn X200 PRO E
  • Line 6 Toneport ux1
hmm i still demand you take a look at RP355 or something
its got USB out and internal audio interface which is awesome!! for the price you pay

check my link in my sig to my myspace (how many My-s) and see how it sounds... all the guitars recorded via RP355 and its cab simulation
having played both the GT 8 and GT 10, my personal preference was the GT 8. I just found it more natural sounding and easier to get some good tones from it. Not to say that the GT 10 is bad, but if it is heavier tones you were looking for, the GT 8 was easier to get them. after two weeks I finally was able to get some out of my GT 10 I have now, but looking back I would have stayed with the GT 8 or gone with the X3 Live.

I just thought the GT 10 would be a souped up and better version of the GT 8, but I was wrong. The GT 10 is basically it's own beast, and should be treated as such. Don't get it thinking like me that it's just a newer version, it is indeed a different pedal. The effects and everything are top notch, don't get me wrong, I just had a better experience with the GT 8.