Hi guys, I have a big problem about 6 months ago my friend was leaving my room and picked up his bag, the strap caught on my Guitar's tremelo bar and sent my guitar toppling face-down onto the floor. It left a crack in the woodwork on the neck

As soon as it happened i took the strings off as to keep the tension off the break. Poor lily has been sat in her coffin-case ever since

I have decided recently to bring her back from the dead, as my old guitar just doesn't compare to her.

Here are the pictures. I have no idea where to get a replacement neck in the UK, and i am not a guitar techy so i would have no idea how to replace the old neck either. I just want to be able to play her again i dont know what to do.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e63/Iorekspics/DSC00006-1.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e63/Iorekspics/DSC00004.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e63/Iorekspics/DSC00005.jpg

Any help is appreciated, thank you very much in advance.
Last edited by Wozzer__ at Sep 22, 2010,
That's a heart breaking sight :/
It's like having a son and seeing some kid die in the news.

Sorry, wish I could help.
"Allow me to explain the contamination process. Pine cones go in here, party liquors comes out here and proceed to here. Fights begin, finger prints are took, days is lost, bail is made, court dates are ignored, cycle is repeated."
-Early Cuyler
Is the truss rod damaged?

If it isn't you could take it to a luthier and get the headstock glued on, maybe?
If you have all the pieces, and have a local guitar shop, you might be able to ask them if they know anyone who does guitar repair....

My shop, where I take lesson's knows a guy that fixes broken necks with a lot of magnifying glasses and super glue. (from what they've said) hey glues where weak points are, puts the shards back in their original places, adds a bit more glue, clamps everything together, and sand papers the access glue off when dried. One guitar he's fixed I've seen, looks pretty good, and still plays.
Last edited by Hellbentmansion at Sep 22, 2010,
That crack looks pretty clean. My guess is that you could probably just glue the headstock back in place easily.
take it in, they'll fix it good as new.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Where in the UK are you? I imagine most luthiers will have seen a break just like that, if I recall they're "common" (using the term loosely) on Les Paul style necks/headstocks. Chances are they'll be able to fix it good as new.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
new neck - 100 bucks

time to replace neck - 5 minutes.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
I know people look at these and think the guitars junk but that is a very common break for Ibanez guitars and it's a very easy fix. I do about a dozen of these a year. IMHO the two holes they drill thru the neck for the locking nut is the main weak spot in these. Worse case scenario buy a used neck on Ebay, I have gotten Ibanez necks for as low as 20 bucks no more than 40.

All you need is some Tite Bond II or III glue*, a glue syringe, a couple clamps and wood blocks. You can find tutorials on line of how to fix it. A lot of the repair is in how well you clamp it.

* Never use super glue or take a guitar to anyone who uses it. Superglue is about the worse glue to use to glue wood and when it breaks again and it will because the joint will be week you'll never get a strong bond again no matter what glue you use.

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Sep 22, 2010,
i had that exact break on my S series, ha dit glued, no problems anymore
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by guitar nubsauce
new neck - 100 bucks

Bottle of Titebond Original - 5 bucks

Time for the glue to dry - 24 hours

TS, have a look here;
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/crack_neck.htm
If you dont mind doing a little DIY, cracked necks are pretty easy to fix.
Last edited by littlephil at Sep 23, 2010,
Quote by guitar nubsauce
new neck - 100 bucks

^THIS
Happened to my axe, a few inches nearer to the head than yours. Glued back on, rocking on it ever since.
how does a break like this usually occur?
Quote by theogonia777
Lefthandedkid is super awesome, ja?

Quote by rgrockr
I guess fire extinguishers have to be filled with something other than fire retardant now, because apparently that's offensive.

Watch my stream?
^The headstock of the guitar hitting the floor/other surface.

Thats a very clean break.

Honestly, just get some PVA wood glue and a few clamps. Glue with a nozzle would be ideal, rather than getting a syringe. Squirt in a bit (not alot, because the glue will expand), youll probably have to make the break a bit worse to get the glue inside, wipe off any excess, clamp it down, let it sit for a few days. The joint will be really strong. You will probably be able to feel/see the break though, but its in a position where it shouldnt bother you too much. Its unlikely itll ever break in the same place again.
Last edited by beckyjc at Sep 24, 2010,
Quote by littlephil

TS, have a look here;

This, + a hell of a lot. I bought an Ibanez for dirt cheap that had a cracked off headstock in the same place as yours, and I used wood glue and a clamp, good as new. You can see pics of it after I repaired it in my profile. It's the RG320QS.

Your crack is 100x more clean than mine was, and your headstock isn't even completely removed. You will be throwing money away foolishly if you take that to a tech.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I refuse to play a bolt on neck guitar with a completely broken headstock that was re-glued. Dropping $75 on a wiz II neck is no problem for me, or a bit extra to upgrade to a prestige neck while I'm at it (with some mod).

Now if it was a 50 year old martin..okay.

Obviously the debate of it affecting tone still goes on today, but it's pretty clear which side I'm on.

If you can't afford $75 you should probly get a job, if you're too young go mow lawns.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Sep 24, 2010,
i'd say take it in to a luthier it will be fine your safe cause the fret board is undamaged
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by guitar nubsauce
I refuse to play a bolt on neck guitar with a completely broken headstock that was re-glued.

......Congratulations?

TS said he just wants to be able to play the guitar again, and there is absolutely no problem with a repaired neck.
Just because you wouldn't play a repaired neck doesn't mean someone else won't.
Quote by guitar nubsauce
I refuse to play a bolt on neck guitar with a completely broken headstock that was re-glued. Dropping $75 on a wiz II neck is no problem for me, or a bit extra to upgrade to a prestige neck while I'm at it (with some mod).

Obviously the debate of it affecting tone still goes on today, but it's pretty clear which side I'm on.

If you can't afford $75 you should probly get a job, if you're too young go mow lawns.

oh hush. you wouldnt be able to hear the difference anyways. you wanna know why? it's called a scarf joints. and i don't see you complaining about the glue in that.

it's really not that big of a deal, and you don't have to spend $100 just because you're too full on yourself just to do a repair and get it over with.

and that's probably the best place for it to break, too. the only way for it to break any better was if it had gone ahead and snapped all the way through.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148
oh hush. you wouldnt be able to hear the difference anyways. you wanna know why? it's called a scarf joints. and i don't see you complaining about the glue in that.

it's really not that big of a deal, and you don't have to spend $100 just because you're too full on yourself just to do a repair and get it over with.

and that's probably the best place for it to break, too. the only way for it to break any better was if it had gone ahead and snapped all the way through.

This, so much.

It really is an easy repair if you take your time and aren't afraid of doing it.
With our lives based on the hope for salvation
The humanist paradigm is nothing but a charade
Condemned to inertia: a passive race
We wait and contemplate

Quote by guitar nubsauce

This guy is an elitist ass. Glue and clamp it per the advice of several folks above; the joint will be stronger than the original wood was. Shouldn't affect the tone because your strings break over the nut before it even gets to the tuners on that part of the headstock. Just about every neck/headstock joint is originally glued anyhow, not to mention the fingerboard onto the neck itself and the layered woods to make some necks (can be seen in the photos of your own). You can repair this yourself for a few pounds. Truss rod shouldn't be an issue in this case. Worst case, if it's a bolt-on and your repair doesn't hold, you replace the neck anyway. Just let it dry clamped tight for a few days before releasing and then use a razor to lightly take away the excess and maybe sand/buff it smooth with some fine emery cloth or 0000 steel wool.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Quote by littlephil

TS, have a look here;

This. I used this same guide to fix up my RG550 just a few weeks ago. The neck is good as new and plays perfectly.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Ok guys, how to get the glue into the crack? I mean will it pentetrate the break? And if you have done it already, how does it play?
Gear
Good Old Les Paul
Aria Acoustic
Marshall MG10CD
Laney Linebacker Reverb 100w
Ashown perfect ten 30w
Fleetwood bass
Digitech RP100A
Quote by jj1565
take it in, they'll fix it good as new.

Nah, the glued necks tend to be stronger after that right?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
Nah, the glued necks tend to be stronger after that right?

guys say that, but i'm guessing it would depend on the type of break and the way they fixed it. materials and all.

WOW this is an old thread.

to the guy who bumped it,
Quote by cl94
Ok guys, how to get the glue into the crack? I mean will it pentetrate the break? And if you have done it already, how does it play?

did you also break your neck?
because i doubt the OP is still around.

my advice to you is, if it's more than a surface crack,
to take it in.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well the fuc*heads from parcelforce did, It is like cracked half-way as you can see from the pictures, the lowest luthier quote i managed to get was 50 pounds, but I think I will attempt it myself, tell me waht you think, and what tips and suggestions you have, and WTF do I do with the split fretboard?
Attachments:
IMG_0924.JPG
IMG_09292.jpg
IMG_09312.jpg
Gear
Good Old Les Paul
Aria Acoustic
Marshall MG10CD
Ashown perfect ten 30w
Fleetwood bass
Digitech RP100A
Quote by cl94
well the fuc*heads from parcelforce did, It is like cracked half-way as you can see from the pictures, the lowest luthier quote i managed to get was 50 pounds, but I think I will attempt it myself, tell me waht you think, and what tips and suggestions you have, and WTF do I do with the split fretboard?

50 pounds to repair that particular break is a good deal (assuming they are going to fill and touch up the fret board as well).

Because of the fretboard damage, that's a significantly more serious break than the one in the OP.
well, the fretboard is still attached to the neck and does seem to come together nicely when pushed together,
Gear
Good Old Les Paul
Aria Acoustic
Marshall MG10CD
Ashown perfect ten 30w
Fleetwood bass
Digitech RP100A
* the snapped part at the first fret
Gear
Good Old Les Paul
Aria Acoustic
Marshall MG10CD
Ashown perfect ten 30w
Fleetwood bass
Digitech RP100A
Like others said, you can glue it yourself. Super clean break and good wood glue is a lot stronger than most people think. Odds are, if it were to fall again after you did the repair with glue, it's not going to break in that spot again.

Even still, if you're not too keen on repairing it, there's a crapload of Ibanez necks on eBay and if you're willing to do a little bit of work, you could potentially score Prestige RG neck for it.

Look at it like this, you have a super clean easy to fix break and you're also lucky that it's an RG because there's a rather healthy abundance of their necks on eBay and other places. Don't worry man. You're good!
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
A tear fell from my eye everytime I scrolled down and saw another one of those pictures.

But anyway,

take it to a good luthier and he should be able to fix that. I broke my Edge III on my Ibanez when it fell and the whole bridge got bent and shoved forward, and my local luthier said he'd have better luck putting a broken headstock back on, and he was able to fix my bridge 110%, which proves to me that anything is possible, hahaha. You should be able to get that headstock fixed.

Good luck
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
I'd go to a luthier with that...
If you do that and he can't fix it, from my experience they'll at least have the decency to install a whole new neck. That's the beauty of bolt-on necks - replacing them is about as easy as replacing an admittedly stuck lightbulb (or 4).
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Both broken scarf joints are easy fixes, I'd recommend the brown Tite Bond as it's a stronger glue than their white formula. I usually use a syringe to get glue down into the joint but you can also use toothpicks and a little patience if the thought of getting a syringe is too much. Just get glue down in all the cracks and clamp it back together tightly. After 24 hours you should be able to come back and remove the excess glue.

The new joint you created is actually stronger than the wood itself. You can test this yourself by breaking a piece of wood, gluing it back together, and breaking it again. You'll notice the new joint isn't the cause of failure this time around.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]