So, I go to a private university in Southeast Michigan (Lawrence Tech if any of you have heard of it), and I'm beginning to wonder if going to a private college was a good choice. I'm currently a sophomore and paying $12k a semester...it only increases from here on out. Yes I got a scholarship, but it only covers about 15-20% of the tuition. I get no grants from the government. My financial aid officer actually told me: Yeah I don't know what to tell you, maybe if you had a rich uncle or something you can borrow from him.

The reason I chose it in the first place was the promise of an almost-guaranteed job in the field. They threw their stats for example: 85% get a job in their related career field in the first month, 94% in the first year. Everyone that doesn't go to LTU says "Wow thats a great school" but I'm just not seeing why. The course work is much harder than any of the universities around. We have much more homework, and I am not really hearing any great success stories. I have friends that have parents that graduated from LTU. So I ask them (if not too personal) "how did their career workout, did they get a good job?" etc. A few of them said "yeah, I guess"

I should mention I am a Computer Science major.

tl;dr Any of you go to a private university? Do you think its worth the enormous amount of debt?
more prestigious universities defiantly give you a good education and an edge when it comes to finding a job after graduation. nothing in life worth doing is easy it takes alot of work and effort. but if its something you love and something you really like to do and see yourself working in that field for the rest of your life go for it, and no college is really easy to pay for these days.
As a 17 year old, I have no answer to your actual question. However, I don't understand why you are surprised at the fact that the course work is hard and there's plenty of homework. Any prestigious university should be hard, or how else do you expect to learn?
it's all bullshit. You can get a job by being good at doing what you work with, without any degree whatsoever. I honestly dont think the immense debt you get into is worth the "promise" of financial security (which anyone with a brain will tell you is bullshit; no degree, no matter how prestigious, will ever guarantee you a job)

EDIT: oh lord, a computer science major to boot.

Dude, computer science majors are like sand on the beach. you have to be exceptionally good to make it in the field, and even so will constantly have to compete with the east for wages.

My advice, learn something that isn't outsourcable, like plumbing or something (jk)
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 22, 2010,
The only reason I have heard of Lawrence Tech is probably because I am also from Michigan, but Michigan Tech is the more well known Tech school in the state. For a degree like Computer Science you have to remember what kind of candidates you'll be competing with, because there are going to be a lot of them. Personally I would not say that what you're dealing with at that school is outweighed by the gains you will get from it.
Originally posted by TheBaron
I'm thinking you've got a beard...

Originally posted by Thornography
Okay well I want whiter teeth... and I would like to know if rubbing sandpaper on your teeth is safe or not.
private universities are ****ing terrible
nothing will 'guarantee' you a job unless youre related to someone important
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
Quote by CoreysMonster
it's all bullshit. You can get a job by being good at doing what you work with, without any degree whatsoever. I honestly dont think the immense debt you get into is worth the "promise" of financial security (which anyone with a brain will tell you is bullshit; no degree, no matter how prestigious, will ever guarantee you a job)

I agree with this.
I thought this thread was about pirate universities. I am disappoint.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
I go to Creighton and love it. The class sizes are much smaller than most public universities, so I can really get to know my professors so they can write me recommendations later. And since Creighton students are at an advantage when applying to Creighton's medical school, then yes, it is well worth the debt for me.
Quote by I.O.T.M
I thought this thread was about pirate universities. I am disappoint.

Yarrr, the only piece of paper a pirate needs is a treasure map.
this is a must see regarding private colleges:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjumeyZpL3I

Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Last edited by guitar nubsauce at Sep 22, 2010,
I'm going to be attending a private biblical school for two years after two years in community college, all of this is after 4 years of military service.
I havn't changed this thing in a year.

I LOVE GIANT YELLOW TEXT!
I went to a private school but half my tuition was paid for in scholarship. I graduated last year and have yet to reap any direct rewards from it that I wouldn't have reaped with a degree from any other university. I also just moved to another part of the country where the prestige of the university I went to is much weaker, so sometimes I have to explain what exactly was special about the school. For me the benefits did not outweigh the (tremendous) costs. I think I should have gone to a state school and worked harder to get outstanding grades.
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

*girl looks unimpressed*

"Because it looks like you landed on your face."
Quote by Vitor_vdp
As a 17 year old, I have no answer to your actual question. However, I don't understand why you are surprised at the fact that the course work is hard and there's plenty of homework. Any prestigious university should be hard, or how else do you expect to learn?

I am not surprised, nor was I ever surprised, but it does make me wonder if the amount of extremely time consuming work is worth it. I work almost full time while going to class full time, I barely have any time to do anything I enjoy. Everyone always talks about "I LOVED COLLEGE, BEST YEARS OF MY LIFE" and so far that hasn't happened. Its all work/class/homework/sleep when I can. While on the other hand, my friends going to state schools are constantly doing fun things, while having already finished their homework, and explain how easy their coursework is. When in the end, their going to get the same degree (Computer Science).