I'm trying to learn a song that requires me to tune down 2 half steps. I'm not really comfortable doing this and would prefer not to. I was wondering if there is a certain fret I can just slap the capo on would make it sound similar to tuning down 2 half steps?
that's a whole semi-tone down, also called d standard, if your so worried about it just slap some heavier guage strings on (if your using 9's), it shouldn't effect the guitar unless you go into drop c, even then i don't think it would do much
No, there isn't a place to place your capo to get this sound. (unless you wanted to play an octave up, in which case you could place it on the 10th fret)

It's not hard to tune to D standard (which is what you're trying to do) Just tune your low string to D, and tune the guitar to itself normally from there.
10th fret, but it will be an octave up. It isn't hard to tune down though. Just tune your low E to an octave below the D string, then tune the rest of the guitar.
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
-Alan Kay

Check out my original classical composition here !
If it's still in a standard tuning arrangement (not a drop tuning) you can just play it as is, in E instead of D. It should sound pretty much the same overall.
Quote by AJDrac
If it's still in a standard tuning arrangement (not a drop tuning) you can just play it as is, in E instead of D. It should sound pretty much the same overall.

True. If you don't feel very comfortable tuning that far down, you could just play it in E standard tuning. If you intend on singing, you just have to sing a little bit higher than you would if you were using D standard.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
every guitar my husband owns - and he owns a bunch - is tuned down to d. i'm curious why that's a problem for you.

Quote by That80sGuy
I'm trying to learn a song that requires me to tune down 2 half steps. I'm not really comfortable doing this and would prefer not to. I was wondering if there is a certain fret I can just slap the capo on would make it sound similar to tuning down 2 half steps?
There is nothing wrong with tuning down to D. Your guitar won't magically explode or anything. I've met a lot of people who think that changing tunings on guitars from standard will damage their neck. This is not so!
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Just tune it down, it honestly wont wreck the guitar. Plus it gets you into going in to alt tunings (eg. DADGAE - amazing tuning :P)