Soz if this isn't the right place . . . anyway

I've been going through a punk kick and have really gotten into the Offspring again. Their guitar tones on their album "Ixnay on the Hombre" sound great to me, just a huge guitar sound. It sounds so saturated but still "sparkles" or something, I don't know how to put it haha. I'm not looking to buy new gear, just wanna reconfig/do some tweaking with what I have.

I'm playing through a Mesa Single Rec, I know the amp can deliver this sound but right now it isn't sounding as "organic" as I'd like. Sorry for using these awfully imprecise terms, but I don't know how to explain what I'm after exactly - maybe listening to an example would be more helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujKtUlDtAk8

That is pretty much what I'm going for. This song just captures the sound I think, huge guitars with a kick-ass chug when you palm mute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxo8rHImGgU

Another good example of their distortion.

Any pointers for this sound or should I just get back to tweaking the Rubik's Cube that is a Mesa amp? Maybe I'm just over analyzing, but any direction would be helpful, thanks.
Last edited by jackfromcs at Sep 22, 2010,
That sounds pretty layered to me. Don't be surprised you can't get that sound out of any single amp.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Yeah Offspring had some pretty unique tone. Very mid and bass heavy. As Kanthras said it's generally not easy to replicate studio tone with one guitar as it would have been at least dual tracked, and Dexter is actually quite a good producer.
If i had to suggest 2 bits of gear to get close id say a Mesa Rec + Ibanez Guitar so you are most of the way there already.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso