Hey all..

So I'm getting ready to restring my 6 string electric, and I randomly wondered about something that has never really occured to me before.

Does the amount of string that I actually wind around the tuning post determine how well the strings hold tuning?

Like, on my acoustics I've always left a lot to wind around. No real reason, I just did.

But I'm getting ready to do my first electric restring in years(no I haven't went years without restringing, it's just been years since I've had electric that needed new ones lol :P) and now I'm curious.

For some reason, in my small little brain it would make sense that the more string on the post there is, the more it would hold tuning. But I don't really have any logic to support this.

So, what do you guys and gals think?

Thanks!
you want 2-3 wraps only, or you increase instability, due to extra slack.

this goes for acoustic or electric.

also, swap one string at a time, and stay similar to gauge.
or expect setup adjustments.

there is a setup thread top of page.
first post explains it all.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 22, 2010,
I never saw any kind of benefit by leaving a bunch of extra string around the tuning peg. When I re-string my guitars, I do 3 to 5 wrap-arounds just to be sure it'll hold. Any more than that is just overkill and harder to manage.

Hope this helps!
Thanks you two. It helped indeed. Got'er all restrung. Right now I'm just waiting to play to allow for the 'stretching' phase that all strings seem to go through before they stay in tune for more than 10 seconds lol.

Thanks again!
Quote by Rvn
Thanks you two. It helped indeed. Got'er all restrung. Right now I'm just waiting to play to allow for the 'stretching' phase that all strings seem to go through before they stay in tune for more than 10 seconds lol.

Thanks again!

you dont wait to play.

you play and tune. play and tune.

or you put your thumb at the center of the board on a string,
push down with thumb while pull up with other fingers to stretch.

and tune.

stretch and tune.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011