So now i new some help with my problem!.

i play guitar now for 1 year and 9 months and i got a problem. I cant get to find a good pick holding position that does not make me tense and that really frustrates me every f****ing time i grab my guitar(acoustic or electric) i even lose a bit of motivation of playing guitar. so please tell me or suggest me waht should i do, please?

PS: is it normal if my index finger is more dark red coloured after some time of playing with pick because of pressure?

and when playing guitar when going from lead solos to rhythm i lose grip with my pick any suggestion?

have a nice day
How's your pick grip and what brand? Is it just an el cheapo?
Can you take a picture?
Also i've never heard about the dark red coloured, it's obviously blood rushing to your finger tips, which makes me think bruise?
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
English probably is not your prime language........ anyway iv been at it for about 5 years now, and i favor the position where i hold the pick between my thumb and my index finger. I only use two fingers instead of holding onto it with the thumb, index, and middle fingers. Also they sell these things called picks with grips. You might want to look into that. You also might be picking it to hard. loosen up, play softer, and relax your grip. Don't attack your guitar, love it instead. hope that helps peace out.

Edit: When i hold my pick. My hand looks like a fist. I don't hold mine with my finger tips. I use the side of my index finger and thumb tip.
Last edited by rocker222 at Sep 22, 2010,
Quote by rocker222
English probably is not your prime language........ anyway iv been at it for about 5 years now, and i favor the position where i hold the pick between my thumb and my index finger. I only use two fingers instead of holding onto it with the thumb index and middle fingers. Also they sell these things called picks with grips. You might want to look into that. You also might be picking it to hard. loosen up play softer and relax your grip, don't attack your guitar, love it instead. hope that helps peace out.

Yes, that is generally how you pick.

Never ever seen anyone use their middle finger.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Quote by Dannnn_xD
Yes, that is generally how you pick.

Never ever seen anyone use their middle finger.

lolz iv seen it, I have seen all kinds of bazaar ways with people and their picks.
Quote by rocker222
lolz iv seen it, I have seen all kinds of bazaar ways with people and their picks.

Well then you clearly hang round with people who don't play guitar very well!
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
1, What pick do you use? I found that changing the thickness from time to time is a good idea. Also, very flexible pics don't give you a nice 'feel'.
2, I often use middle finger as well as thumb and forefinger on the pick. Its a good technique if you use a light pick (like 0.7mm) as you can put a little curve in the pick which hardens it against the strings.
3, It sounds like you are gripping the pick far too tightly. Ease off. Relax. You will know you've relaxed too much when you start dropping the pick all the time.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Dannnn_xD
Well then you clearly hang round with people who don't play guitar very well!

Na, Van Halen holds his pick the three finger way.
lol i knew it well here is some good picks dude.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=419&pmh=products/picks

http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=1&pmh=products/picks

as u can see grip. its softer on your fingers, and its easier to grip. problem solved

Edit: btw you also might want to see about the thickness. You might want to go softer.
Last edited by rocker222 at Sep 22, 2010,
thanks to all, i just tried grabbing pick a bit lighter and i think it did help so tommorow i am gonna get myself new picks too.

thanks again!
Quote by sweep456

thats my pick.

thx for help. and no english is not my prime language.

Those are the same picks that I use. Except mine are black and I think they're either 1.0 or 1.14. I'm not sure because the writing on the pick has worn off from Excessive Use. These are really good for sweeping, so don't complain you can't sweep because of the pick. Sometimes if you can't sweep it's probably you. I've actually gotten better at sweeping that I can use those cheap guitar center picks and still sweep.
Quote by malmsteensolo
Those are the same picks that I use. Except mine are black and I think they're either 1.0 or 1.14. I'm not sure because the writing on the pick has worn off from Excessive Use. These are really good for sweeping, so don't complain you can't sweep because of the pick. Sometimes if you can't sweep it's probably you. I've actually gotten better at sweeping that I can use those cheap guitar center picks and still sweep.

no it has nothing to do about sweeping, i havent even tried that style yet.
Quote by rocker222
Na, Van Halen holds his pick the three finger way.

This is what I was going to say.

Eddie holds his between his thumb and middle, partly because he can jump straight into tapping easier because his index finger is free.

Also, Jimi used to add his middle finger all the time.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.