I recently went on a tour of the shops in my area, looking for a Vypyr. Didnt even find Vypyrs Milk. (sigh) All I found were either vintage toned amps (AC4TV, Orange's, 4 digit price tagged JCM's etc) or shitty Spider 4's. GOD! Ultimately, I found a DigiTech RP500 which I rather liked, sounded quite nice. Thing is, the RP1000 is USD120 or so more than the 500. Tone wise, is it worth it? I dont care much for the extra presets or the switches- 5 switches are enough.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
I recently went on a tour of the shops in my area, looking for a Vypyr. Didnt even find Vypyrs Milk. (sigh) All I found were either vintage toned amps (AC4TV, Orange's, 4 digit price tagged JCM's etc) or shitty Spider 4's. GOD! Ultimately, I found a DigiTech RP500 which I rather liked, sounded quite nice. Thing is, the RP1000 is USD120 or so more than the 500. Tone wise, is it worth it? I dont care much for the extra presets or the switches- 5 switches are enough.

What's wrong with vintage toned amps?

You make it sound like the Vypyr's are godly compared to everything else, anywho...

As far as multi fx go, the Boss ones seem to be pretty popular.

I would save your money though and get something better, like a new amp. Ditch the MG, and save for a Vypyr Tube, budget toanz. There is also the JCA20c if you don't have a need for a 2+ channel amp.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
What's wrong with vintage toned amps?

You make it sound like the Vypyr's are godly compared to everything else, anywho...

As far as multi fx go, the Boss ones seem to be pretty popular.

I would save your money though and get something better, like a new amp. Ditch the MG, and save for a Vypyr Tube, budget toanz. There is also the JCA20c if you don't have a need for a 2+ channel amp.

Lol....nothing wrong with vintage amps....just that I have absolutely no use for them. Imagine trying to play Meshuggah with a Fender Twin........

Thing is, I need decent effects now. Aw well, I can always get a 6505 or something later.....lets see. 18th Bday coming up, that coupled with decent board results might just be the catalyst needed to tip dad over....
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Lol....nothing wrong with vintage amps....just that I have absolutely no use for them. Imagine trying to play Meshuggah with a Fender Twin.......

Sounds br00tal

Thing is, I need decent effects now. Aw well, I can always get a 6505 or something later.....lets see. 18th Bday coming up, that coupled with decent board results might just be the catalyst needed to tip dad over....

Good toanz>tons of effects.

imho.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Sounds br00tal

Good toanz>tons of effects.

imho.

Some delay> No delay>No delay at 2x the price.

Anyway, the thing did sound decent.....liked the Mesa Mark IV model....no, it doesnt sound like a readl M4. but it does sound pretty good. "Constant Motion" sounded great with bass on 6, mids on 9 and treble on 8.5, gain on 10 (duh).
Will be surviving till I can get a good SS or Tube next year. Then I'll stick this into the effects loop.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
gain on 10 (duh).

Clearly.

Sounds like you have everything that you need situated.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Clearly.

Sounds like you have everything that you need situated.

Gain @ 10 on a 6505> Gain on 10 on an RP500> Gain @ 10 on a DF-7, MT-2 model >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gain @ 10 on an MG.

Nothing beats the MG for shock treatment.....except perhaps the 100W ones?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 22, 2010,
It seems like the 500 is just a smaller version of the 1000, with less features. Both units are modelled after the same effects.
The RP1000 gets you two loops. One for your pedals and one for your amp. If you don't need the loops then the RP500 should be fine.
People can trash the RP500 all they want....but its a great pedal. I mostly use it as a tuner, a wah, volume pedal, and a looper(yes with the newest firmware you can use the looper), but it still has some decent effects on it.
My favorite feature is the stereo out. I have 2 Devilles at my disposal and it always blows my mind when I stand between them and close my eyes.
All n all its a good pedal. I just couldn't justify the rp1000. Unless your going to use every feature possible, go with the 500.
Last edited by teamhex at Sep 22, 2010,
Yes, the RP1000 has a bit better tone then the RP500. But it adds many more features (including a looper) and is just a better overall unit.

However, I wouldn't use ANY digital modeler unless I could plug it into a tube amp. I really would advise you to get one of those first as it will open more doorways for you & your tone.
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by theraven871
Yes, the RP1000 has a bit better tone then the RP500. But it adds many more features (including a looper) and is just a better overall unit.

However, I wouldn't use ANY digital modeler unless I could plug it into a tube amp. I really would advise you to get one of those first as it will open more doorways for you & your tone.

The tube amp will come later. They cost an arm and a leg here. A Peavey 6505 112 is somewhere around the $1600 mark......

I doubt I will be using the looper. Going to be playing stuff like Dream Theater, Opeth, Amon Amarth, Arch Enemy, CoB etc.....doubt I'll be needing more than the amp models, the OD models, rev, delay, chorus/phaser/flanger, comp and wah.
I own a RP500, and I absolutely love it. Granted, tube amps are very good to have, but if an RP500 is more realistic for you to buy, I say go for it. As far as I know, the RP1000 just has more presets and a few more effects, but don't quote me on that.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
guess you pretty much know what yr after...
hmm i myself have got RP355 (upgrade from RP250) and RP500 is pretty much the same as the new xx5 lines... except that say RP500 is not a big upgrade from 355. only the additional stomp switches. RP355 eevn has got a pedalboard mode so it's no big deal. id go save up and get RP1000.. btw both 500 and 1000 aint got drum machines. but RP1000 has got 2 loops of effects, external FX chain bypasser and overal is more versatile (not sun wise... more like pedaldance-wise) oh and... you gotta consider that it's pretty darned heavy and big
Quote by Vendetta V
guess you pretty much know what yr after...
hmm i myself have got RP355 (upgrade from RP250) and RP500 is pretty much the same as the new xx5 lines... except that say RP500 is not a big upgrade from 355. only the additional stomp switches. RP355 eevn has got a pedalboard mode so it's no big deal. id go save up and get RP1000.. btw both 500 and 1000 aint got drum machines. but RP1000 has got 2 loops of effects, external FX chain bypasser and overal is more versatile (not sun wise... more like pedaldance-wise) oh and... you gotta consider that it's pretty darned heavy and big

2 loops of effects? What do you mean?
like you hook it up in front of your amp.. then hook another cables to the FX loop.. and you get the distortion and whatnot that is supposed to be in fronta the amp and the post FX like Chorus reverb and delay in the fx loop

you can also bypass your pre-amp section as if your were running into RP and directly to FXloop or bypass distortion/amp-cab simulation on RP
all with stomps and buttons no need to rewire the cables

hope tht makessense
Quote by Vendetta V
like you hook it up in front of your amp.. then hook another cables to the FX loop.. and you get the distortion and whatnot that is supposed to be in fronta the amp and the post FX like Chorus reverb and delay in the fx loop

you can also bypass your pre-amp section as if your were running into RP and directly to FXloop or bypass distortion/amp-cab simulation on RP
all with stomps and buttons no need to rewire the cables

hope tht makessense

Yeah it does....think I'll go for the 500, doubt ill need that....
Quote by Vendetta V
hmm r u sure you need all those switches then??
you could go with RP355 and save a lot of money...
its basically the same minus the switches
but you can switch Dist, Chorus/fx, delay in the patch like on a pedalboard so...

Quite a lot of the songs I want to play need 4 or more patches....DT's "ITPOE" part 1 needs a dist setting with flange, a plain dist setting with verb, a clean + chorus, and a dist with verb and delay.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Sep 23, 2010,