I have an opportunity to pickup a new amp but I'm torn. I am looking at either a Mesa Dual Rectifier 3 channel or a Mesa F-100. My band style of music is heavier rock. Like Rise Against, The used, My Chemical Romance that type of sound but once in a while we like to get into a heavier sound like Underoath, A Day to Remember, Devil Wears Prada, that stuff. Ive had a chance to play both and I really like things about both of them. Here's my breakdown of pros and cons

F-100: Pros
Great Cleans
Crunch channel gets great distortion
Reverb
60/100 watt switch

Cons:
2 Channels
Distortion not quite in the BROOTALZ range

Dual Rec: Pros
3 Channels
Awesome Distortion
Flexibility with switching EL34 and 6L6 as well as switching rectification style

Cons:
No reverb
no dual wattage switch
Cleans arent quite as good as F-100

But one of the major factors is that I I can get the f-100 for $300 less than the dual Rec. I've Been a Marshall guy for a long time so Mesa's are new to me. Does anyone have any opinons on these amps or what they think I should look at?
Last edited by migs_migeezie at Sep 22, 2010,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Mesa.
Mesa.
Mesa.
Mesa.
Mesa.
Mesa.
Mesa.
Mesa.
Mesa.

Okay?

TS, not one amp is going to get you every tone you want. I know nothing of Mesa's honestly, but it sounds like Dual Rec would be a better choice. There are plenty of reverb pedals out there that are really good for cheepz. Also, a watt switch is usually worthless to me... I would rather play my Carvin at the 100w setting with the volume at 1 then I would the 50w or 25w setting, as it loses alot of it's toanz when switched down.

I'm sure someone here can help you a lot more than what I can, but to get an amp that will have 2-3 channels+, amazing dist., amazing cleans, etc. etc. Will cost you a pretty penny.

Good luck
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
i had a 3 channel dual rectifier. you know what the clean sounds like. my problem was with the other two channels. i could get a great thick and heavy tone on one but I couldnt get that in between type of sound i was looking for at times on the other.

i've never played the f-100. the 60/100 watt switch doesnt make much sense to me atleast cause 60 watts is usually going to be overkill as it is.
Look into Mesa recto-verbs single rectifiers
They have great cleans and brootal distortion and reverb.
There 50 watts but easily gig worthy and has plenty of headroom for me.
I bought a series 1 head used there a little harder to find than the series 2 heads.
just to add mesa only makes series 2 combos of this amp now.
My gear-
Schecter C-1 Classic
Mesa Boogie 2 Ch. Dual Rectifier(blackface)
And some pedals

For sale Minty Ibanez RGA7 seven string with tour grade hsc $330+s/h or best offer!
PM me if interested

R.I.P Ashley S. Jean
Mesa.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350M
Peavey 6505+112

Boss CS-1
EHX Big Muff Pi
EHX Small Clone
KORG Pitchblack
Stop spamming the lot of ya.

It sounds like the Rectifier will be better matched to your style of playing. Are you gigging or just using the amp for home?
This will be for gigging for sure. We usually play out at least twice a month. And I did like the cleans on the Dual rect but the f-100 was just a touch crisper and smoother especially with the reverb on it. I think Im leaning towards the dual with its versatility but i just wanted to see what others thought. Thanks.
Quote by migs_migeezie
This will be for gigging for sure. We usually play out at least twice a month. And I did like the cleans on the Dual rect but the f-100 was just a touch crisper and smoother especially with the reverb on it. I think Im leaning towards the dual with its versatility but i just wanted to see what others thought. Thanks.
Yeah, it should be good then. You obviously should try it out before you buy one, though.
Quote by stykerwolf
Hey Migs, been a long time

Why not build your own amp? you built two amps before right?

Yeah its been awhile. I thought about building another one but my time has been limited as of late and I think some of these circuits may be a little more advanced for my skills.

Quote by AngryGoldfish

Yeah, it should be good then. You obviously should try it out before you buy one, though.

Yeah Im going to try them again before make my final decision.
I absolutely love the F-100 I want one really bad. I think it is a phenomenal amp.

Nothing gets recto tone like a recto though. So if you want that saggy recto gain, go with the Dually.