I've been looking for a boost for my 333xl for awhile now, and I see that used ts7's go for about $20 used at guitar center, where used ts9's go $70+
Is the ts9 really worth spending that much more for?
and I was reading up on modding the ts7 to a ts808, but all you have to do is remove two resistors?

Any ideas, or suggestions?
I was also looking at the Angry troll which goes new for about $120.

I have a budget of about $150+/- Maybe more for a decent boutique pedal, used or not

Thanks for your time guys
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
The TS7 has a TS9 circuit built in already...which sounds pretty good IMO. The hot feature is pretty worthless though.

modding a TS7 to 808 specs is super easy...and takes every bit of 10 minutes...you're not removing resistors from the circuit entirely, but you are replacing them with different values. A used TS7 can be found for like $20 on ebay...and like $5 in parts to do the mod...it's a great budget boost IMO.

But if you've got the money for a boutique boost burning a hole in your pocket...
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 22, 2010,
Quote by eyebanez333
The TS7 has a TS9 circuit built in...

modding a TS7 to 808 specs is super easy...and takes every bit of 10 minutes...you're not removing resistors from the circuit entirely, but you are replacing them with different values. A used TS7 can be found for like $20 on ebay...and like $5 in parts to do the mod...it's a great budget boost IMO.

But if you've got the money for a boutique boost burning a hole in your pocket...

I don't have the money, christmas man, christmas

The problem with the ts7 mod is that I reallyyyyy have no idea how to do any of that, I'm not technical at all.
But maybe I'd just buy a ts7, attempt the mod, and rely on you guys to find me a great boutique-ish boost for christmas? I've never dealt with pedals before, and I'm hoping to create a nice rig here soon. Starting with the boost, hopefully a decimator, and the mxr 10 band eq.
Quote by TheDefected
I don't have the money, christmas man, christmas

The problem with the ts7 mod is that I reallyyyyy have no idea how to do any of that, I'm not technical at all.
But maybe I'd just buy a ts7, attempt the mod, and rely on you guys to find me a great boutique-ish boost for christmas? I've never dealt with pedals before, and I'm hoping to create a nice rig here soon. Starting with the boost, hopefully a decimator, and the mxr 10 band eq.

The mod is incredibly easy...even for somebody who has never done it before. This is one of the better guides...it's got pretty good pics so you make sure you pull the right ones. Just de-solder the two resistors...and solder the new ones in. You can get a cheap soldering kit with everything you need to do it at radioshack...soldering iron, solder sucker, roll of solder...then buy the two resistors. Even if you don't mod it...the TS9 mode sounds good on the TS7 IMO.

http://www.dominocs.com/ToneWorks/ts7808.html
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Sep 22, 2010,
Love the TS-7.

It sounds every bit as good as the more expensive Tubescreamers as far as I can tell.

I've had mine for almost 10 years and it's my main OD pedal. But recently the switch has started to only work intermittently.

I might have to buy a new one. I don't know if I can afford the $40.
Quote by dcooper830
Love the TS-7.

It sounds every bit as good as the more expensive Tubescreamers as far as I can tell.

I've had mine for almost 10 years and it's my main OD pedal. But recently the switch has started to only work intermittently.

I might have to buy a new one. I don't know if I can afford the $40.

Or you could spend 5 minutes to fix it.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Maxon OD808 is pretty much the standard to boost "metal" amps. I personally am saving for an OD808. I've used a friends TS-7 and it gets the job done. IMO it is worth saving and buying a better pedal though.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by DroptuneD
Maxon OD808 is pretty much the standard to boost "metal" amps. I personally am saving for an OD808. I've used a friends TS-7 and it gets the job done. IMO it is worth saving and buying a better pedal though.

We'll, atm, I'm thinking about buying a used ts7 and just mod ittil christmas. You guys recc. Any nicer ones to last me awhile?
Quote by TheDefected
So I shouldn't even waste time on looking for a nicer boost?
IMO, no. The TS-7, even without mods, is a great boost.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Well the Bad Monkey is cheap and I hear it does well as a boost in front of a high gain amp
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
I just got one about a week ago, for $40 i decided what the hell, what do i have to loose? Anyway sounds great, i like the ts9 setting as a boost and i use the hot setting as kind of a fuzz sound
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,