Hello,

So, I want to buy a practice amp for the bedroom.
I thought about buying a Vox VT at first but people seem to like the new Fender Mustang. Now I wanted to ask everyone here what they prefer or what suits me more.

Since I'm still a beginner my taste/hearing kinda sucks so I need some advice.

I live in the Netherlands and have about 200 euros to spend.
So if you have any other amp recommendations that's fine =)

So I like:
-Muse
-Red Hot Chilli Peppers
-Eric Clapton
-C.N. Blue
-FT Island.

So rock/pop rock but no real metal or any hardcore.

Fender Mustang II = €179,-
Vox VT30 = €189,-
Vox VT15 = €155,-
Vox VT20+ = €179,- (will come out somewhere next month)

All the help would be greatly appreciated
Quote by forsaknazrael
What amp/guitar do you currently own?

Sorry forgot to mention it.

I don't own an amp atm =0
I'm borrowing a Volcane PL 10 from a friend as he doesn't use it atm. (he got it from a starter pack I think)
My guitar is the Yamaha pacifica 112v
Last edited by HanQuang at Sep 22, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
The Yamahas are actually pretty decent starter guitars.
I would go for the amp now, then get a guitar later.

Does the VT30 have more features than the VT15? I forget.

I wasn't planning on getting a new guitar. (The fender mustang is an amp, maybe you confused it with the guitars? :P).

The Vox VT30 and 15 have the same features.
The USB connectivity of the Mustang makes it totally worth it. It also comes with Ableton Live so you can record yourself. It's an awesome deal, I say go for it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
i suggest the mustang...seems really good

the mustang 2 is also loud enough (i think ) to play in a band if you're into that later on
Quote by Sid McCall
The USB connectivity of the Mustang makes it totally worth it. It also comes with Ableton Live so you can record yourself. It's an awesome deal, I say go for it.

Is it really that great? Not sure what you can do with the usb.
But can't you record on the VT series?

I do read that the sound on the Mustang is not as great as the VT series, but I don't know if the difference is big. Does anyone know? (I'll probably can't even tell the difference at first)
With the USB you can edit amp patches, download and share different ideas with other people, and you get low-latency recording/monitoring with your computer. It's WAY more than you can do with the VT, which just has a line out you need to plug into your own interface to avoid latency.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Mustang: okay (not great) sound but easy cheesy home recording.
Vox: Best modeling sound out there for the price IMO, but you need a mic and interface to record.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Mustang: okay (not great) sound but easy cheesy home recording.
Vox: Best modeling sound out there for the price IMO, but you need a mic and interface to record.

Thanks, but I want to know if the sounds quality differs alot.
I read that Vox truely does have a better sound, but how much better?

Is the programs and usb enough to ignore the "okay" sound compared to the Vox?
Is there really enough informed reviewers that have made serious comparisons to say the Vox is better sounding?
Quote by fly135
Is there really enough informed reviewers that have made serious comparisons to say the Vox is better sounding?

I'm only going off youtube videos and experience with previous Fender modelers.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
First off, has anyone here actually TRIED the mustang yet, or are they just reccomending it because of the pre-lauch hype? Yes, it'll be good for easy and cheap home recording, but if you are seriously into home recording, you really should get a proper set up.

I've spent my fair share of time around VTs and i can say that when it comes to budget modeling amps, Vox is heads and tails above the rest. Probably the only good thing that's come out of being owned by Korg.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Sep 23, 2010,
The VT is a great choice. I've gotten the chance to play them live and in the bedroom and they honestly work really well for both. They sound great and the models are really well done.

The Mustang on the other hand is a typical Fender sounding amp with some alright to good sounding models. Theres a video on Youtube of a guy playing I a Squier 60's CV Strat through the....I think 15. I think the Channel is called "Nevadamusic"

I love the Vox to death but the Mustang's USB connectivity kinda wins it for me.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Alot of people seem to recommend the Peavy Vyper these days.
Are these good for the kind of music I want to play?

And thanks for all the replies so far =)
Quote by HanQuang
Alot of people seem to recommend the Peavy Vyper these days.
Are these good for the kind of music I want to play?

And thanks for all the replies so far =)

If I were in your place I would take the VT over the Vypyr. I own (but no longer play) a Vypyr and it's more geared to higher gain sounds.
Me and my girlfriend were in a guitar store one day.

My GF- What's the difference between Gibson and Epiphone?

Me- (Explains)

GF- So Epiphone is like Gibson's slutty little sister?

Me- I love you.