ok my local pawn shop has a black and silver electric guitar for $100 on the head it said stratocastor in big letters, then in small letters says by fender, its made in china... is that a good guitar or a fake fender..... or is it some kind of squire....

thanks for the help and hope to hear back soon
Last edited by Shaggy212 at Sep 22, 2010,
ok thanks for the info i thought it was.. it has a serial number and everything.. but i have checked google and cant find any fender with that decal..
70s headstocks had STRATOCASTER written on them, no? At that price though, scary. Pawn shops usually know their product i.e. wouldn't sell a guitar worth something for anything close to $100.
does it say buy fender or by fender cos if its the former...
sorry it says by fender.... has serial numbers and everything on back of head stock
Quote by butterfingers30
Does it say "Squier by Fender"?

not that i could see.... that was the weird part cause they have a squire guitar right next to it.. for $60 bucks..
Just checking - does it say 'stratocaster' or just 'STRAT', if it's the second, that would be a fender HM (heavy metal) strat that were made in the 80s, they had black headstocks that fit your description almost.

Edit- actually are you sure it doesn't say starcaster? those are wal-mart's version of squier, made in china 'by fender' and all that.
Last edited by Shashing at Sep 22, 2010,
also... are you sure it said "stratocaster" and not "starcaster"?
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
nope said stratocaster.... by fender... and had serial numbers on back.. i am so puzzled i may just go put it on layway so the recpeit will give me the serial number.. then after i get that i can check and if its good i can buy out right...lol
was it like this?

if so, then someone just scratched the word squier off the headstock.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Musicman48858
also... are you sure it said "stratocaster" and not "starcaster"?

That was going to be my question. If it says Starcaster, I'd say that's legit. Not that I'd buy anything like that...
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
ok went back its a starcaster..... my mistake... i feel dumb now for not really noticing that.... going to review this model and see how good they are for upgrading pickups ...
Quote by Shaggy212
ok went back its a starcaster..... my mistake... i feel dumb now for not really noticing that.... going to review this model and see how good they are for upgrading pickups ...

Um.... bad idea. But to each his own I guess.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Um.... bad idea. But to each his own I guess.

so i take it these are not good guitars to upgrade with new pups?????
Quote by Shaggy212

Don't worry about it, same thing happened to me with a Starcaster Flanger Pedal. I bought a guitar off craigslist and it came with some other things, including that pedal. I just took a glimpse at the pedal and thought it said Stratocaster, so I searched and searched online and couldn't find anything on it. Couple of months later I actually took the two seconds to read it, just to find out it was starcaster . I felt like the biggest idiot ever
Quote by Shaggy212
so i take it these are not good guitars to upgrade with new pups?????

Eh... maybe passable if you re-wire all the electronics, but even still I've never played a Starcaster that didn't need a new fret job, tuners, trem, and nut to be anything more than a novice's guitar.
Epiphone Dot
Vox AC30VR 212
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Eh... maybe passable if you re-wire all the electronics, but even still I've never played a Starcaster that didn't need a new fret job, tuners, trem, and nut to be anything more than a novice's guitar.

ok thanks for the info.. good thing is i can do all that..... so i went ahead and put some money down on it and will pick it up at end of week... something to mess with with and upgrade..

thanks to all for the info.. i will post pictures of it when i pick up at end of week..
Quote by butterfingers30
Don't worry about it, same thing happened to me with a Starcaster Flanger Pedal. I bought a guitar off craigslist and it came with some other things, including that pedal. I just took a glimpse at the pedal and thought it said Stratocaster, so I searched and searched online and couldn't find anything on it. Couple of months later I actually took the two seconds to read it, just to find out it was starcaster . I felt like the biggest idiot ever

glad to know i am not the only one who has done that then ......