Well I filled my 16GB iPod a while ago and now I'm considering buying a new portable MP3 player to take on the bus to college and stuff. But iPods are kinda very expensive, so I wanted to know if the Pit could suggest me some alternatives with high (or relatively high) capacity, perhaps better sound quality, and a little easier on the wallet?
Insignia mp3 players. I've had mine for 2 years. Still works great
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
if you break out of the norm steve jobs will come and break your knee caps
I let you get away so cleanly.
As a music player, the Zune HD is fantastic. Not too many apps, but the software is great.
Quote by pielover375
So last year, I put some potatoes in this jar and forgot about them. Today, I found them, and when I opened the jar, there is a puddle at the bottom and it smells like alcohol. If I drink this, do you think I will die, or have I made potato vodka?
Creative mp3 players, Phillips, and the Zune.

the best 3. The Ipod should be 7th.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
When I got my iPod, I was torn between iPod and Zune.

What pushed me towards iPod was the fact that the Zune software would not run properly on my PC (running Windows XP). So if you're interested in Zune, try the software out first to make sure you can actually use it.

Creative has moved to flash-memory players now. Nothing they currently make is as good as their 30 GB Zen was.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Sep 22, 2010,
Cowon S9, amazing sound quality, wouldn't trade it for an Ipod or anything else. Highly recommend it
Gear:
  • Orange TH30
  • Framus Cobra 4x12
  • Gibson Les Paul Studio
  • Gibson Explorer
  • Taylor 214CE-G
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Zune if what you want is listen to music and dont care much about apps. I find the software way better than itunes.
Quote by fEr_0h
Zune if what you want is listen to music and dont care much about apps. I find the software way better than itunes.

This.

Zune = Awesome
well I only had like 2 games on my iPod touch, I used it 98% of the time for music though, but still it was nice having something to kill time with, and also the facebook app and internet browser, does the zune still have these?
I´ve had an IPod for a while but i´ve long ran out of space. However, most of my music files are only in the Apple format. If i switch to Zune for example, will i be able to convert all these files into whatever the zune system uses?
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

Quote by Yngwi3

Bigger/louder/more watts =/= Better quality.
Quote by Sant_iago_9
well I only had like 2 games on my iPod touch, I used it 98% of the time for music though, but still it was nice having something to kill time with, and also the facebook app and internet browser, does the zune still have these?

No...but it does have some rather time-consuming games.

Quote by Dr.Evil Knödel
I´ve had an IPod for a while but i´ve long ran out of space. However, most of my music files are only in the Apple format. If i switch to Zune for example, will i be able to convert all these files into whatever the zune system uses?

More than likely. Unless Steve Jobs set it up to where all Apple files self-destruct upon attempted conversion. (Also more than likely)
You might want to make sure your music isn't in AAC format before you get your new mp3 player too. Itunes uses aac as default so if you ripped any CDs with itunes you might want to check they're in a format that can be played by other players.
(don't worry though, itunes can convert to mp3 amongst other formats)
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by goest
No...but it does have some rather time-consuming games.

like what?

and really? it doesn't even have a browser?
I just use my laptop. iTunes is somewhat slow and unstable, though.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Sant_iago_9
like what?

and really? it doesn't even have a browser?

Hexic, Checkers, Space Battle, Poker and Sudoku

And honestly, why do you need a browser in your MP3 player? It's made for music; use it as such.
Quote by goest
Hexic, Checkers, Space Battle, Poker and Sudoku

And honestly, why do you need a browser in your MP3 player? It's made for music; use it as such.

Yeah I know but I used it every-so-often to check my email and stuff. Or even check UG.
Empty your iPod and put new music on it?
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
The Zune HD does have Internet and a Facebook app. I think Steve Jobs has spies on here lying so he can get more money.
Gear

Guitars: '02 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
ESP LTD Alexi 600 Yellow
Ibanez RG560CA w/ SD Invader
Carvin DC747 Vintage Yellow
Ibanez RGA 8 QM w/ Dimarzio D-Active and PAF 8
Washburn KC-70v
Bass: 1980 Aria Pro II SB Elite II
Amps: Vox VT20+
Quote by pnkhrdwndr
if you break out of the norm steve jobs will come and break your knee caps

At least he wont have ninja stars.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Maggot3000
Cowon S9, amazing sound quality, wouldn't trade it for an Ipod or anything else. Highly recommend it

Same here... i've had mine for about a year and i love it. It's got so many equalizing options since it's specifically made for playing music.

Unfortunately my screen broke cuz i fell on on top of it while running (yes, very clumsy of me) but i've still used it because of its sound quality. I'm looking into fixing it sometimes soon or buying a new one.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.