Hi, I would Really appreciate any information I Could get from you guyz,
My Partner is Currently in process of self employment to build Amp Cabinets, & Guitars, but we'd Love to range into creating Amp Heads especially valve ,
I would love any advice & tips any other amp building professionals have, Would he need to enrol on an electrics course? in order to get qualified in building the amp heads an to test them before sale?, Is there a specific Route he should go?

All Advice very much appreciated

Kind regards
Leea
You need to know what you're doing/making if you're going to be selling it, so take every class you need until you can make a good, quality, usable amp.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Quote by LD_Wolf
Would he need to enrol on an electrics course?

Definitely, you really have to know your way around electronics to build tube amps.
Thanx guyz, So This Is probably a really simple question but is a general electricians course, Something that would cover aspects of the kind of electrics he will use?
He knows his stuff, Im just trying to make sure everyt
hing's done properly
There's an amp building resource in my signature. It's not complete, but I'm updating it (somewhat) regularly.

As for doing this as a profession: Selling hand-built amps requires a lot of red-tape for your amps to be legal. There are loop-holes, but you may want to go to an attorney or CPA to point you in the right direction in terms of legality.
from what i've noticed... valve amplifiers are disgustingly simple, yet extremely complex. understanding how it works is very simple. a 3 month long reading at the library and some experiments, you have a working amp.

then the research and development, you must make the amp that makes the noise you want. that's the complex part. i know from making few amps that everything in the amp makes a difference in sound. (everything outside of the amp too.) so good luck with that! we can share insights if we're building similar amplifiers, since i'm in this stage too. and it takes a lot of time and effort. i'm sure most amp builders do, except for pure geniuses and ones who clone rare old amps (some cloners spend a lot of time too!).

it's fun.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
A basic electronics course won't focus on the aspects you need to know for building tube amps. Best to research on your own. Check out the resources End Citizen mentioned.
Thanx alot for the info guyz, I was right in thinking a Typical electronics course wouldn't cover the aspects he needs,

So If a Amp Builder knew his Stuff inside/out, electrics, self taught or studyied what are the legal implications for his business to be erm i guess LEGAL and safe,, is the notion 'as long as he knows what he's doing the business is fine' or does he really need proof of Being taught what he knows i.e diploma etc,

sorry if this is not making sense
It most likely varies from country to country. However I would hazard a guess that rather than looking at someones credentials for an electronic product they have built they look into the product itself I.E How much current it draws?And if the components are suitable to run safely with the suggested design.
The legal aspect comes in with the little stickers that basically say if you open this amp and burn your house down or electrocute yourself you are not liable.
Either way its going to take a fair bit of funding to make your amps commercially viable. And proper training is a BIG asset for tube amp building. Good-luck!
No, the legal issues stem from the fact that you're selling a device that could interfere with the radio waves, which fall under the jurisdiction of the FCC. That's why everything from remote controlled cars, guitar amps, tv remotes, cell phones, stereos, etc. all have the FCC sticker and read "This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules Operation is subject to the following two conditions: this device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation."

This is usually either on the packaging or in the manual. Also, there is a thing called "Intertek listed" or "ETL listed." It basically goes through and makes sure your amp is built to a certain standard that will not kill someone (fails in a safe manner).

I can't tell what all there is, but it's all a big pain.

EDIT: The "No" at the beginning is not directed at Toqueface.
Last edited by end_citizen at Sep 22, 2010,
TS, i'm giving you fair warning. Do not advertise this 'business' in any way or there will be consequences. people seem to think they can come here and freely advert their fledgling businesses, and I will have none of it.

and do not come to UG for legal advice. consult a real attorney.
Quote by Invader Jim
TS, i'm giving you fair warning. Do not advertise this 'business' in any way or there will be consequences. people seem to think they can come here and freely advert their fledgling businesses, and I will have none of it.

and do not come to UG for legal advice. consult a real attorney.

I do not See seeking advice from AMP/CAB building professionals as ADVERTISING my business, How Can I advertise a business that isnt even set up! an is clear I am seeking advice for future prospects for our business, Products that once my partner is qualified we Hope to Produce,
Would you prefer a cowboy to come along sell a cab that hasnt even been safety checked an kill someone, because they were to proud to ask for advice about qualifications, or a person coming to seek advice from People whom have been there an Would share there wisdom as what to look out for & what routes to take,

SO DONT THREATEN ME!!!
Quote by end_citizen
No, the legal issues stem from the fact that you're selling a device that could interfere with the radio waves, which fall under the jurisdiction of the FCC. That's why everything from remote controlled cars, guitar amps, tv remotes, cell phones, stereos, etc. all have the FCC sticker and read "This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules Operation is subject to the following two conditions: this device may not cause harmful interference, and (2) this device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation."

This is usually either on the packaging or in the manual. Also, there is a thing called "Intertek listed" or "ETL listed." It basically goes through and makes sure your amp is built to a certain standard that will not kill someone (fails in a safe manner).

I can't tell what all there is, but it's all a big pain.

EDIT: The "No" at the beginning is not directed at Toqueface.

Thankyou your advice is wise & hugely helpfull, thankyou for taking the time to explain
While a general electronic course won't help you, if you can sit in on a "Circuit Theory" type course at a local college, it would probably get you familiar with alot of the parts and concepts you'll be working with. Now, it's not going to tell you which capacitor affects sound in what way, but it will teach you what a capacitor is and what it does. It should be offered at most schools that offer engineering degrees.

You may run into a problem with pre-reqs though. Physics I is a pre-req at my school. Physics II also deals with some circuit type dealies. You can probably find all you need online or in a GOOD amp building book, but a Cicuit Theory class with a lab would be nice.
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Quote by LD_Wolf
. . . . . .
SO DONT THREATEN ME!!!
Welcome to UG and the Gear Building and Customizing forum!
As a moderator, it is Invader Jim's job to ensure people follow UG's forum rules. One of the rules is No Advertising. Advertising is punished with a ban. You are not being singled out, that is simply the rule. Asking for advice on building or learning is okay, but it's a fine line between asking for advice on starting a business and promoting that business. Just be aware of that.
Best of luck!

UG Forum Rules
New User FAQs