I've been thinking of buying a second DeVille to try the whole dual deville thing that I see is very popular amongst bands this day (i.e. Coldplay, The Killers, etc.)

I'm just wondering, from someone who's used this technique, what exactly does doing this do? I own a 2x12 right now, but the second one I'm getting might be the 4x10. It this a good idea to use both the 2x12 and 4x10 in conjunction together?
The idea of using two amps is to give a stereo guitar effect to the listener. Some guitarists will split stereo effects (such as chorus, vibrato, delay, ect.) between the two amps. Some also have two different setups on them, such as one clean signal and one distorted signal, or two different distorted signals.
Quote by ElMaco
My last pay check was £0 working 0 hours. I can't believe how easy it was
Ooooh, okay, so I could have one amp for heavier songs, and then the other for more surreal type stuff with lots of delay and reverb?
No. If you're going to run a rig with just one amp on at a time for OD/clean, the OD one should not be a deville.

What you're seeing is a stereo setup, which lets you, say, bounce delays back and forth from left to right, or get reverb that is offset for each speaker so it sounds larger and more like a studio recording. That's what two devilles are for, since they're good loud and clean amps for using effects. If you're going the clean/dirty route, you'd probably want to A/B the deville with something with a better overdrive.
Quote by Roc8995
No. If you're going to run a rig with just one amp on at a time for OD/clean, the OD one should not be a deville.

What you're seeing is a stereo setup, which lets you, say, bounce delays back and forth from left to right, or get reverb that is offset for each speaker so it sounds larger and more like a studio recording. That's what two devilles are for, since they're good loud and clean amps for using effects. If you're going the clean/dirty route, you'd probably want to A/B the deville with something with a better overdrive.

This.

Something that might work if you wanted to do this is to have one amp DeVille using a nice distortion pedal and then one using fuzz. If you can get the balance right your sound becomes freaking huge.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Another option I forgot to mention is the Joe Perry method, where you use one small amp running full out, and one big amp running clean at all times, so you can dial back the volume to clean up a little, or mute the small amp entirely for very clean tones. The clean amp adds a lot of punch and clarity when combined with an overdriven one.
I've used the Joe Perry method live before. It works. A lot.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Roc8995

This. This is what I'm going for. I want everything I do live to sound like it's a studio recording! Hm.... So my delay pedal a/bing with two amps will get me closer to my goal, correct?
Yup. It'd work quite nicely for that. Just make sure you get a decent active splitter so it doesn't roll off a bunch of highs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs