I (like most guitarists) have a tight budget. Being the kind of guy i am i realized that the extension cab for the tweaker is $249.99, the speaker is $149.00... i realized it would be ridiculously easy to build a cab and load any speaker i want in there (with regards to watts and ohms and stuff). I am looking for suggestions on building the cab (i don't really want an exact copy), which tolexs are good, which speakers, which wood? Any info on this is welcome.
P.S. I'd like to be able to add in another 12 watt speaker somewhere down the line so keep that in mind
You don't have to get the tweaker extension cab, you could go with a cheaper one.

Have you done any woodworking before? Not that it's super difficult, but you should have a decent idea of what you are doing to get all the joints tight and all the stuff that involved in making a cab sound good.

High end cabs use void free baltic(?) birch, which you may or may not find at Home Depot or whatever. And you'll be lucky if it's even flat. Cheap cabs use MDF. And the tools involved...

Not trying to dissuade you, just know what you're getting into
Yeah i'm a bit of an amatuer carpenter so i have the tools and the knowledge... are there any other kinds of wood i could use?
Quote by Godfather7
Yeah i'm a bit of an amatuer carpenter so i have the tools and the knowledge... are there any other kinds of wood i could use?

Most respected cab makers go for void-free ply. There are 2 common high-density void-free plys, baltic birch and maple. Those will likely be your candidates.

As was said, MDF is used in budget cabs.

Making a cab isn't too difficult. In simplest forms it's a box with a baffle and a speaker screwed on to it. The trick is in making sure it's quality construction.
Last edited by Seref at Sep 22, 2010,
I was looking at the jensen C12Q any comments?
P.S. any tolex or speaker cloth suggestions to match the tweaker?
Last edited by Godfather7 at Sep 22, 2010,
Stuff that's the same color? Maybe a brown tolex with a tweed grill cloth? Iunno. Aesthetics are a personal touch.
i was going to do the same thing (also even a cab for my tweeker), and after i added up the numbers it wasn't worth it. decent wood (baltic berch), tolex and grill cloth would be a lot close to the $100 difference than you would think.

also, you cannot just build a box and throw a speaker in it and expect amazing tone. there are a lot of calculations that go into a quality cabinet, with the simpler ones being volume of the box, speaker effiecency, if you go ported, calculation of the dimension of the port. it is certainly do-able, but it does require some time.

when it got that close for my calculations, i decided that i would just rather buy one that matches 100% and is professionally done. so for me it came to that i could do it, and do as good of a job if i really wanted to (i have all of the tools/skills to do so), but wasn't saving that much money. and for the little bit of money i was saving i wanted it to match perfectly and say "Egnater" on it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If it were me, I'd build something to a Mesa Thiele's specs (or something similar - Bogner Cube, Emperor 1x12, etc), and then just stain the wood like an Emperor. Makes it look classy, and is cheaper (and less work) than tolex
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
If it were me, I'd build something to a Mesa Thiele's specs (or something similar - Bogner Cube, Emperor 1x12, etc), and then just stain the wood like an Emperor. Makes it look classy, and is cheaper (and less work) than tolex

this is true.
I agree that if you build a cab with the right measurements then it will sound better. When I built my 4x12 though, I had no idea what kind of measurements I needed. I just made a closed back cab. Well constructed, because I have a lot of experience in woodworking. But not with what some may say is the correct specifications.

In the end, I have had my cab for a little while now and couldn't be happier with the tone. It cost me around $30-$40 to build the cab, had some vinyl laying around to use for tolex, and bought grill cloth for it. Had about $40 in total cost, without speakers.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Last edited by the1967mustang at Sep 23, 2010,